1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius C owners please post

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guarantee that if you filled the tank to the nozzle hole every single time... you would have the most accurate source available. Obviously this would require multiple fill ups as you aren't going to get your "avg" on the first fill up. Your driving will always change.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    You can't control the atmospheric conditions at the time you fill... that already changes the game.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah... what does that have to do with visually seeing the fluid at the brim?

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Changes the amount you have in there... but that was just an off-hand example of what you can't control. Sorry, I just find this whole notion of "accuracy" on a single tank to be beyond ridiculous and cannot believe how much sleep people lose over it.

minkus likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed. Nobody is going to go to the rigorous amounts of work it would take to make sure you have the exact same amount of fuel in your car every single fill up...

minkus likes this.
  6. 08PriusXSJ

08PriusXSJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Bought a used 2012 Prius C2. Just had the first 140 mile's trip (40% HW and 60% of local). The recorded mpg on the board is 65.7 with average trip speed of 41 mph.
    Could gain 1 more mpg if I didn't make a stop at 90 mile. After the stop, in the first 3 flat mile, I lost 1.5 mpg (dropped from 65.4 down to 63.9), then regained 1.8 mpg from the last 50 miles.

Based on the EPA rating of this car (53 MPG city / 46 MPG HW), it supposed to get about 0.6x53 + 0.4x46 = 50.2 mpg, which means that I beats the EPA rating by 15.5 mpg or 31%. I am very happy with this car. first MPG  record of My 12 Prius C2.jpg

ztanos likes this.
  7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats. :D

8. major_worls

major_worls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Sirs, new Prius C owner reporting for duty, sirs!

My family and I had all had enough of our banged-up, paint-peeling, rusting 2000 Honda Accord. Off we went to the nearest Toyota dealer (this was on Saturday, Sept. 23). Not being blessed with wealth, we went to look at the rock-bottom-priced used car on the lot, which happened to be a 2012 Prius C III. The car had nearly 90k miles on it but was in excellent shape. I'm not going to say what we paid, because we overpaid and I'm a little chagrined about it. But buy it we did, and I've been driving it daily since then. They did put new tires on it (Continentals) and resurface the brake rotors.

I have to thank all of you on the forum, because I've been lurking here since the evening we got the car, and whatever I know about getting the most out of the vehicle in terms of MPG, I picked up from you all.

I have a short seven-plus-mile commute on hilly, winding back roads, no highway, and a number of traffic lights. It's a high-traffic route, too. I've been getting around 40-45 mpg on the way to work and about 50-55 mpg on the way home, the former being more uphills and the latter being more downhills. But it's been creeping upwards as I get more accustomed to this new style of driving. My best trip has been on the 9+ miles to church, and that was 66 mpg, mostly highway miles. You have to love that. It's at least double what I'd been getting in the old Honda.

The car had a full tank when we left the dealer. I'm now down to four pips left. Meanwhile, I'm watching gas prices fall as the Gulf Coast production ramps back up, so that's all good.

So I'm enjoying the Prius C and enjoying what you all have to say about yours. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and insights.

ztanos and skayaks like this.