1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius C owners please post

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    you need to set the date. :)

2. rlalford

rlalford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Filled-up this morning: 543 mi since last fill-up; added 9.514 gal. (with 2nd squeeze). Cutting things a little close, but very pleased!

3. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Does the C give you a low fuel warning?

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    But of course.

5. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of MPG's does the c get with cruise control on freeway trips, or do most individuals here refrain from using cruise (as I've heard that it decreases you MPG's with the c)? This drive would be on mostly flat highway with no significant hills or dips. Figure going around 65 mph.

6. mam677

mam677 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I put in 8.2 gallons today, having gone 430 miles. I love me some 52.4 mpg's!

7. j_benj

j_benj Prius C Fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    hit a personal record on my commute home today!

[​IMG]

8. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I went faster then normal on the freeway yesterday to see how MPG are on high speeds and with some hills going 75-80 MPH I still got 50mpg shown. Even that is amazing when your on a long road trip and I think it will go up more if I was flat road.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long was that trip and was it a round trip?

I'm trying to figure out the point at which the c drops below the efficiency of the GenIII at highway speeds.

We all know the GenIII is more aerodynamic and has a slightly higher highway mpg rating but real world data gathered by Wayne Gerdes and folks here at PriusChat are showing the c is now slouch when it comes to great freeway mpg. We often recommend the GenIII when someone mentions a long highway commute and only recommend the c when they have an urban commute. I think many people on this forum need to rethink that advice in light of these new reports. :)

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the negative impact of a cold engine, cold ambient temps reduce fuel economy by increasing rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag (if driving at speeds above 50mph). This is another reason why your morning mpg potential is generally lower than your afternoon mpg potential. Yet another reason to keep your tire pressure at proper spec levels or higher. ;)

The information in this thread applies not only to winter but cooler morning commutes as well.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c...summer-mpg-vs-winter-mpg-prius-c-version.html

11. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My first two hand-figured fill ups came out to 48.x and 49.x mpgs. The car's estimation was quite optimistic, and wrong.

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was not long about 20 miles and with me was my friend in his Prius Plug In. He had no plug in battery power left so it was hybrid at the time of start. It showed exatly 50 mpg. That was what was funny. Also he was 2 miles ahead when I got on the freeway so I was going a bit faster.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should try topping it off until you can see fuel in the filler neck and see if it is still optimistic when you refill again. When Wayne Gerdes tested the c it was almost dead on accurate but he only drove 50 miles or so. It would be interesting to see how this works over 500 miles. :)

14. jacku

jacku New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Last weekend I did the 140 or so miles from St Paul to La Crosse Wisconsin. I had filled the tank the Sunday before to see how much gas I used during a "regular" week of driving. I made it all the way to La Crosse and back 50 or so miles to Kellog, MN. I filled the car there. The gas gauge was at 30% (3 spots) and it took 7.018 gallons of gas. The calculated mileage was almost exactly 53 mpg. (52.99 was the calculation) I don't remember the cars calculation, but I think it was between 54 and 55. (I have it written down but not handy.)

I'm taking a trip from Minnesota to Florida in about a month so we'll get some good data then.

15. whtrabbitjoe77

whtrabbitjoe77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just filled my car up for the second time and I calculated 48mpg for both tanks. Per driving trip the computer was showing 50-55mpg, so something is off. I checked the tires and they were set at 32psi f/r from the dealer so I fixed that. i will see how the next tank turns out.

Joe

16. Prius-C1

Prius-C1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ^^^^^what did you set them to? Higher I assume?

17. GraeSack

GraeSack New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Picked up Pc3 yesterday. Took a forty mile drive of mixed urban, suburban and freeway. Averaged 56.1 per the display. Filled up this morning and will track full tank with calculator, SG and display.

All the best.

18. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For my second tank, I drove 466 miles on 8.56 gallons, which equals 54.4 mpg. The computer estimated 57.99.

19. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First click to first click netted me 54.79 mpg. Driving 442 miles on 8.067 gallons. I forgot to look at what the Trip gauge said, but it was around 55 leading up to the fillup.

20. rwiggins951

rwiggins951 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    This is the third week with my Prius C3. My wife has been consistently getting an average in the low 70 MPG (indicated) for her 30 mile round trip commute. The trip is a mix of city and highway. She drives carefully, certainly, and this is our second hybrid. I see mid to high 50s in my more aggressive rush hour drive. Better results would be easy if I were to slow down a bit. I have been exceptionally pleased overall.

Rod

1 person likes this.