1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius care suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Abdul Hai, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Abdul Hai

Abdul Hai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone.
    I live in kabul, Afghanistan and have recently bought a japanese Prius 2012 G 1.8L with 238,000 KM or 148,750 miles on it recently imported from Japan the car is in good condition.
    In normal driving conditions i get the mileage between 19-21 km/L and if I drive PWR mode all the way then I get 11 km/L plus the EV only gives me about 1.5 to 2 Km range.
    I want to create a regular engine and ATF oil change plan and change both the engine and ATF oil after 10000 km or 6250 miles.
    In here we have very cold and very hot weathers in winter it gets down to -18 C and in the summer it goes up to 40C.
    I am planning to use the ATF WS oil along with the 0W20 engine oil.
    So I wanted to ask if the mileage I am getting is normal or not plus should I use the engine and ATF oil I have mentioned above or not.
    Plus is it ok to change the ATF and engine oil regularly after every 10000km or not??

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah you should be pretty good $6,000 mi oil changes shouldn't hurt anything You know these engines in the American version have a lot of head gasket problems I don't know what's different between the JDM and the American versions of this car if there's not much then I would think the Japanese versions of this car also have a tendency for head gasket failures but I'm not sure of that as I don't have the JDM spec car like you do but your maintenance schedule should not create any problems.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    your km/L is average, and your engine oil plan is fine.
    the tranny only needs to be done every 50,000 km or so.
    if your car has an egr cooler, lookat youtube for cleaning instructions, along with the intake manifold, and consider an oil catch can.
    all the best!

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ?? That experiment isn't helpful to either the battery or your overall fuel consumption (assuming you have a regular cordless Prius).

Your engine oil plan is alright.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some links to help with that, first two lines in my signature. If you’re on a phone turn it landscape to see signatures.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome to PriusChat!
    My 2012 Prius has 170,000 miles and is operating very well.

There is a section above listing the “NutzAboutBolts” maintenance videos. This will teach you everything about maintaining your car. Every single procedure.

The transmission oil is very specific and comes from Toyota. Do not substitute a different fluid. The car must be lifted so that it is level when you replace the transmission oil. And ALWAYS remove the transmission fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Do not use a power tool or impact wrench to loosen the transmission fill and drain plugs.

You may also want to replace the coolant, which is also Toyota-brand. There are two separate coolant systems. One for the engine and one for the electric voltage inverter.

The videos have other maintenance items.

As you see, the intervals for these things are very long, except for engine oil and filter.