1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius driver

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by WMichaeli, Jan 11, 2017.

1. WMichaeli

WMichaeli New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

So after riding in a mid 2000's Prius (brand new at the time) I swore that I would never own or drive one. I'm 6'2" and had no room in this car at all. I now drive a cab in PA and was offered quite a discount if I would drive the companies new 2016 Prius Two. I love this car. It's roomy enough for me to even have someone sit behind me while I'm driving. I do have a few questions though.

Braking under EV seems extremely sensitive, is this normal? I can't seem to adjust for it and I would like to offer a smoother city driving experience.

I tend to sit sometimes for up to a couple hours, is there a way to "force" the Prius to charge the battery? I've heard (haven't really checked) that this model uses either NiMH or Li-Ion and iirc charging from 2 to 3 bars and discharging back down to 2 isn't really good for these types of batteries.

And a final question. Back to braking, the company changed the brakes when they first got the car but I'm noticing this grinding almost metal on file type sound even at highway speeds (on the occasion I have to slow down quickly). Is this normal? If it is I'm guessing it's the regenerative braking but why would it make that noise?

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At 2 bars, the is only 50% discharged. The firmware is very good at keeping the battery healthy. There are posts about force charging the battery, but it uses gasoline and I question the need. If it is important, you should consider a Prime and plug it in. The brakes sound flaky...why did you have new ones installed in a 2016 car? Have you had the dealer look at it?

3. WMichaeli

WMichaeli New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cab company is the one who buys the cars, after the cars are bought the shop inspects them thoroughly and replaces oil/filter, tires and brakes as a way to be safety conscious. And being that it's the cab companies i have no access to the warranty or anything that would allow me to take it to the dealership and have them look it over without paying an ungodly amount out of pocket.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not entirely convinced by the brakes story, but if you let the company know about it....
    As for the battery and charging etc., I'd say don't worry at all. Just drive it and the car will know exactly what it needs to do and when to do it!

FWIW if the Company is not familiar with Prius mechanicals, they would be well advised not to fiddle with things. The generation 4 car you have is different from most other cars.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they buy it used? if so, how many miles on it? otherwise, why would they change anything on a new car? what would that have to do with safety?
    sounds like they did something wrong with the brakes. i would have them look at them, and send it to the dealer if they can't figure out what they did wrong.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. WMichaeli

WMichaeli New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car started with 19k in miles. Their reasoning for changing the brakes is because two cars they bought brand new had issues off the delivery truck. They weren't Prius' but one had a loose bleeder nut and the other had twisted brake line on three of the wheels. Both cars were in crashes so they feel the need to clean up the rotors. But that's neither here or there, I walked the car during the last oil change and they removed the wheels just to show me that there's no issues with the brakes. My only annoyance now is with the TPMS. It's saying the tire pressures low though I check the pressure everyday and it's fine. And even if I reset it it takes no time coming back on. Is there something I can check or should I leave it till warmer weather?

RCO likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you're not resetting it correctly? idk, never had to do it. run my tires well over spec, so the light never has a chance to come on.

8. WMichaeli

WMichaeli New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol after the second time resetting it i jumped on the interstate and it went out. At any rate I'm loving this little Prius and seriously considering buying one for myself. Thanks everyone for your input.

RCO likes this.