1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius drivers, don't be distracted by the colorful display while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Nice Prius, Aug 1, 2017.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. Driving today is more complex because traffic is more complex - 40 years ago, we didn't have roundabouts, merge lanes and the sheer volume of traffic - in my area, 40 yrs ago, almost all roads were just one lane each direction, now 4+ each direction.

40 yrs ago, you had a manual choke, hand throttle, temperature, volt/amps and oil pressure gauges to constantly monitor. You had to constantly assess which gear was the correct one, and clutch operation was a part of the equation. Your children weren't securely buckled into safety seats, nor was the dog. You had no reversing cameras (not even reversing lights) - though probably better vision out of the car. Brakes were relatively poor, and you learned how to operate them for best result - one car I drove, you had to be ready to pump the brakes going down a particular hill, even after dropping down a gear or 2, or they'd disappear - no ABS either. Another car of Dad's, you had to pump the accelerator pulling out of the first left turn out of our street, or it would stall at the stop sign - the choke had to be "almost in" by then it it would stall also. Constant seasonal adjustments to driving would be necessary because of this. If you had a radio, you had to adjust stations by twiddling a dial.

My work car, driving through the bush (forestry department), we'd be in 4WD concentrating on the narrow tracks, but with the 2-way radio going, sometimes in one hand - nobody crashed talking on the 2-way radio - we were used to actually thinking about driving.

We also learned how to control a car if it starts sliding - about oversteer, understeer. Then front wheel drive came along and we had to adjust driving technique. Today, I reckon most of the young drivers wouldn't have any idea how to steer/throttle adjust out of a slide - though the computer will try to adjust for them.

I have a theory - driving has become so "easy", many of our young drivers never learned to drive an Manual car, used a choke, clutch, watched a temperature, oil pressure or voltage/amps gauge. Driving is so effortless to them, they don't think constantly about what the car is doing - nor do they concentrate on doing it.

kithmo, RCO and WilDavis like this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your post reminded me of the Rover 2000 (P6), a car dear to my heart as I was growing up in the UK in the 1960s and 70s. The Rover 2000 was famous for its numerous safety features, amongst which were included switches which had different shapes, making them easy to find by touch when driving at night! Gorgeous car, and, oh, here's a picture: [​IMG]

kithmo, DonD, RCO and 3 others like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved the P6 - nearly bought one a couple of times. Both times I ended up with VOLVOs which weren't as good a car to drive as the ROVER. A better, more modern car than the P5, though the P5 had more "style" - a friend had a P5 Coupe which was gorgeous.

RCO and WilDavis like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll bet they go for a pretty penny if you can find one.

RCO likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot about that :oops:

RCO likes this.
  6. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

Am I the first one to admit I was distracted by that big fancy screen? And the dancing lines of the Hybrid indicator?

It's nice to have all those displays. But after a couple months, I decided I didn't need to keep looking at all that Hybrid stuff. I press the Power button, and I just drive. Keep the distractions to a minimum. (And NO cell phone use or texting!) All I need to see is the speedometer, gas gauge, and compass. (I don't even care about the MPG!) On the big Darth Vader screen, I have... nothing. I turn it off. :ROFLMAO: I can adjust radio volume/channels using the steering wheel button.

Welcome to the 1970s. Old Guy driving. :LOL:

#26 CoastRider, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    RCO and WilDavis like this.
  7. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Cell phones and texting, that's the problem.

CoastRider and RCO like this.
  8. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another answer to the OP - and I shall try to frame my opinion delicately - is it possible that the type of person, in general, who tends to purchase a Prius ( or other hybrid / alternative fuel vehicle ) might sometimes be the type of person who was already mentally distracted before said person got distracted by the colorful toy displays? I wonder how many Prius drivers are left handed?

CoastRider and RCO like this.
  9. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use my HUD. Everything I need is there when I'm on the road. I love it.

alanclarkeau, DonD and tucatz like this.
  10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not anti-technology, don't get me wrong. But in my humble opinion, these auto manufacturers are turning the vehicles into a home office! And a social media center! Loading them up with all kinds of gizmos and gadgets and distracting stuff. Heck, we might someday see a 21 inch TV screen on the dashboard!

We will never convince the "cell phone addicts" to stop talking and texting while driving. They just won't stop... even though law enforcement and insurance statistics say there is a very large increase in accidents and deaths, due to phone use while driving. (And now you can add to that, the pot smokers in the states that have legalized marijuana. You damn well know that some idiots are going to drive while high! But of course, they already do, and have been for years.)

There's no easy answer to this stuff. People are going to do what they want to do, distracted driving doesn't seem very important to most people, and auto makers are going to continue cramming more fancy electronics into these cars in order to increase sales.

And that reminds me, I need to go out to my Prius and check my Facebook page. And Snapchat. And eHarmony.com! And the pizza I just ordered… LOL! :ROFLMAO: ;)

milkman44 and CoolPrius like this.
  11. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Safety. Autonomy. These are the goals for future automobiles. The Prius is the poster child of forward thinking and design. I love every single technological feature of my car. That's why I chose to purchase a 4 touring. The product we have today are baby steps toward the vision of clean automobiles and truly autonomous driving.

12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought HUD would be a gimmick - I rarely look at the dash while actually driving now.

HUD joins DRCC as a MUST-HAVE when I go looking for my next car.

MichelleStone, DonD and kithmo like this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Me too, last car I drove without HUD was a Toyota Auris hybrid courtesy car when my Gen 3 was in for cosmetic repairs about 5 years ago. I just couldn't get used to looking down behind the steering wheel to check my speed.

pilotgrrl and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps we're all spoilt driver's now and can't do without our pretty toys! :whistle:

alanclarkeau and kithmo like this.
  15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, Tideland Prius! The screen was not nearly as big as the one my 4G has.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all. I was reminded that the 2010-2011 had a regular radio faceplate in lieu of an LCD screen. :oops:

RCO, kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You know, it's actually pretty nice to look at nothing as I drive... No displays. Nothing but the road & traffic ahead of me. Complete attention on driving (which is mandatory on LA's crazy freeways! :eek:) But I can also understand and appreciate the people who desire to have as much technology as possible. (For me, I don't need all those fancy gizmos just driving to Walmart.:ROFLMAO:)

And getting back to distracted driving, it's terrible all the accidents and deaths that are caused by people not paying attention... so many crashes & fatalities that are preventable! The ONE simple thing all of us can do in our lives, is be a safe and responsible driver! Don't drink. Don't do drugs. Stay within the speed limit. Be a courteous driver. SLOW DOWN, and stay off your cell phone unless it's a true emergency.

Yeah, right! I sound like a crusader! :LOL: We need the Prius Chat psychologist to chime in here, and explain why so many drivers are so screwed up. And, why is it that the drunk guy/gal never seems to get injured in those horrible crashes?! But an elderly couple, or a young mom and her children are wiped out. It's sickening.

Today's distracted drivers:

ob·sti·nate
    adjective
    1. stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or chosen course of action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so.
      synonyms: stubborn, unyielding, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, obdurate, mulish, bullheaded, stubborn as a mule, pigheaded, self-willed, strong-willed, headstrong, willful, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, refractory,uncooperative, unmanageable, stiff-necked, rigid, uncompromising, implacable, unrelenting, immovable, unshakable... (and STUPID!)

pilotgrrl likes this.
  18. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For me, driving in the NASCAR demolition derby, I find the HUD extremely helpful. It keeps me from being distracted, and I am able to keep an eye on all the goofballs out there.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To win at demolition you need to turn off collision avoidance.

RCO, pilotgrrl and tucatz like this.
  20. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I already totalled one! And, I'm still sad about that.

I want to keep this one at least 12 years, preferably much longer than 80K miles...so I'll be leaving all of the tech toys on for now. :)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.