1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius drivers, don't be distracted by the colorful display while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Nice Prius, Aug 1, 2017.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turning off Collision Avoidance - couldn't that void your insurance - if they deemed that if it had been turned on, the accident wouldn't have happened?

2. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was too cheap to buy all those tech toys! :confused: My '16 Three doesn't have any. (Now, they are standard equipment on all Prii, of course).

But, even with all that technology, it's pretty unnerving knowing that at any time a stupid drunk, or speeder, or red light runner, or distracted driver can end our life without warning. Like last Sunday, a big Dodge SUV ran a red light at high speed and missed my car by only about 6-8 feet. If I was 1/2 second sooner into that intersection, he would've broadsided me. And to make matters worse, it was still pretty dark and I don't recall seeing lights on his truck. He had to be doing at least 70, in a 35 zone. :mad:

#42 CoastRider, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What does the HUD show?

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a documentary available online made by Herner Werzog called "From One Second To The Next". It outlines the real life tragedies of people that are involved in accidents caused by driving while texting. It's sobering, sad, and painful, but I think it's message would apply to driving while distracted by ANY technology.
    I would recommend it's viewing by anyone and everyone, maybe especially if you have a young person just becoming a driver. It's tough viewing but brings home the reality of just how dangerous and life changing it can be to drive and be distracted.

CoastRider and NeilPeart like this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not entirely sure about that, because it's optional to use it and not a feature which has to be deactivated.

Mine in UK shows the speed with energy usage curve normally, but over here the camera identifies speed limit signs and sites that in place of the energy graph briefly. However, if you exceed the identified limit the HUD shows it again but the colour changes to red. There is also a 3-cycle switch to select Off, Speedo, or Speedo and Energy together. Adjustments via the steering wheel can move the position on the screen within the defined parameters.

Mendel Leisk and CoastRider like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At least one insurer here offers a discount on vehicles with AEB - I would assume that if that discount was applied, and AEB then turned off, the insurance could be void if it could be attributed as a cause of an accident?

(Mine doesn't - but it's listed as a "feature" on my car ... did they take that into account in determining premiums? We'd never know, but I don't want to argue it in a law-court.)

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, I don't think it can be reasonably argued that having it turned off CAUSED the accident anymore than the brakes failing.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :LOL:
    I was just making a joke about the demolition derby. It must not have been well known outside the US.

Demolition derby - Wikipedia

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure that isn't the Australian Outback?

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I don't know if it's because I'm just an old F4RT, but I just wish everybody would drive slower, at the speed limits even.
    My reactions are quick enough but the stress of so many things happening so fast is tiring.
    I went out early this morning and drove 7 miles at 30 mph (in 30 and 40 zones), as there was no traffic, and managed 103 mpg (trip)

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Near me, there is a stretch of freeway that is normally posted 45 mph. Nobody IMO actually goes 45 mph. I go 45 mph, and seem to be sitting still, with everyone passing me, even though I am driving AT the supposed speed limit.
    True Happening, right now they are doing construction along that same piece of highway. They have lowered the speed limit due to that construction to 35 mph.
    I follow the rules. 35 mph. Nobody is slowing down. Cars are blasting past me at the same Pre-Construction zone speed.

What is most frustrating to me? Is in my opinion this behavior is actually encouraged by law enforcement. That is, I think they let it pass, for days or weeks, THEN set up a speed trap to get the inevitable wind fall of penalties and fines that will happen because EVERYONE is going way too fast. Non-Existent enforcement, followed by sudden enforcement, resulting in mega-windfall traffic fines. Sorry if this offends police officers, but that is what I see happening.
    There is generally NO enforcement for days, weeks, then suddenly one afternoon the speed trap van will be there snapping pictures like an amateur photographer at a high school prom. Cha-Ching...Cha-Ching-Cha-Ching....you can hear the cash register.

IMO if the point of a speed limit is safety for everyone, then enforcement of the speed limit has to be more constant and consistent. If it is routinely and mostly NOT enforced, then suddenly enforced, I see it primarily as a speed trap situation and money making scheme.

I follow the speed limit, because I suppose I'm getting old too....BUT..I almost feel sorry for those that get caught on those rare days they decide to set up the money making machine...photo radar van. It seems too contrived and too much like a trap. IMO, just a baseline of routine enforcement daily or during rush hour would make people slow down EVERYDAY, instead? It's ignored and actually IMO encouraged...until a complacency or expectation that the speed limit is not being enforced is accepted, and IMO this is to result in greater revenue when the speed limit is then "suddenly" enforced in mass.
    Could I win in court with this argument? Of course NOT. The signs are posted, even the warning signs that photo radar is used. But IMO this is what is happening, and it does not ring kosher to me. It makes the posted speed limit more a tool of revenue obtainment than a tool of actual driving safety. Which IMO is wrong.

PS..and LOL....with my luck...the one day, or one moment I surpass the speed limit will be the day they set up the van and/or decide to enforce the speed limit. Even if the other 30 days, I'm being passed like the turtle in the rabbit race.

12. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Red light runners. Impatient drivers. Speeders. Cell phone use. Driving distracted... It is so common in my area, it's getting ridiculous. I saw it again this morning. Another big SUV coming from the right, blew right thru the red signal and crossed in front of oncoming traffic. Fortunately, at least this guy slowed down just a bit and appeared to check traffic before he ran the light.

And then later, when stopped at an intersection waiting for it to turn green, another crazy SUV dude gets impatient, and proceeds to drive on the sidewalk and goes around the waiting line of cars... right thru the red signal. I'm afraid that most drivers out here have gone completely insane! It's a total and blatant disregard and lack of respect for the traffic laws.

Then I saw a beautiful, brand new, white Chevy Corvette convertible cruising the coast highway. Still had paper plates. Two young people inside/female driver. BOTH of them had their heads down, and playing with their iPhones in their lap while the car was doing about 45. Can someone please explain this cell phone addiction to me?! I just don't understand what the hell is so damn important that you have to be checking that phone constantly! I also drive quite often past the local community college, and 99% of those kids are looking down at their phone while walking, totally oblivious of what's going on around them! They never raise their heads! :ROFLMAO: These little "devices" sure have changed society, especially younger people in the way they act, interact, or lack of interaction... Lots of studies have shown that many are not even getting a drivers license when they get out of high school. Several researchers claim that there is a serious mental illness developing among younger people... their entire life is that cell phone and social media! (Good article in The Atlantic magazine this month.) Suicides have gone up considerably. Today's distracted teens, are tomorrow's distracted drivers.

#52 CoastRider, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Mendel Leisk, pilotgrrl, RCO and 2 others like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That explains autonomous cars - I can have the car drive for me while I instagram, snapcat, tweet and facebook stalk. :p:p

tucatz and RCO like this.
  14. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, speed, speed limit, battery charge, and directions while in navigation mode. I love it.

kithmo likes this.
  15. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should point out that speed limits seem to come from the navigation and not read by the cameras. I have lot's of speed limit signs around here, where I am at the moment that have been upped to 70MPH from 65MPH. My HUD posts 65 in those zones.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct. On North American models, the speed limit display is from the navigation system database.

pilotgrrl and MichelleStone like this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I wish ours was like that, our UK one comes from the camera via the "road sign" recognition, which only seems to recognise speed signs and not very good at it. E.g. when turning into a side road where the sign is at the very end of the road, it misses it.
    The Nav shows the correct (as at the last update) speed limit, although the updates are not always accurate.

MichelleStone and RCO like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, my pet gripe with the camera sign-recognition is when it detects a lower limit on a side road I don't intend to enter and shows me as speeding when I'm actually at or below the limit on my road.:confused:

Raytheeagle, kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    You drifting ?
    Is this you ?

RCO likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model: