1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius generation on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PixelRogue, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It wasn't the 11in screen Toyota was hoping would make them cool again, it was the Mirai.

2. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Rationally, the next Prius would be Toyota’s first BEV car (not “non-car” CUV, SUV, or other). I’d buy one if it simply mimicked the Prime’s EV only characteristics (maybe with a touch more power—though nothing extravagant). But that would require Toyota to be much further along in BEV development than they are. As a result, I believe my first Prius will also be my last. But I plan to maximize my enjoyment of it while I have it.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This would be very sad.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I read that so often here. My personal hope, is that they’ll take at least a partial hiatus, on the quest to eke out ever higher mpg, and turn their attention instead to improving the ergonomics of the dash controls, the comfort and utility, ease of maintenance, lower the repair costs for minor fender-binders, and just get back to form-follows-function.

5. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yea, maybe Toyota should just drop the hybrid system into the Mirai body? or better yet, drop the Rav4 Prime hybrid system into the Mirai and sell it for $5k less than the Rav4 Prime. With the lower height and better aero, I would expect such "Prius Prime" to get 50+ miles of EV range and pretty fast acceleration if it could retain the 300hp and AWD. Turn the Prius Prime from a dorky car to a sport sedan.

jackalope and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Rats, I wasnt able to edit my old post, but what I wanted to say was: If Toyota plans to release another generation of Prius cars, it needs to be even more efficient when so regular Toyota hybrids (Corollas, Camrys) can get low 50 mpgs.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because of that, we will likely see the Prius take a different direction. Maybe plug in only; perhaps even a BEV. Toyota has done some work with using hydrogen in a engine, so that is rumored for for the next Prius. There will be some efficiency gains to the gas use, but I wouldn't expect anything better than the 10% we've seen with past generations.

8. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the next Prius, Toyota will be so far behind the other car companies, they will be lucky to sell a couple of thousand Prius vehicles.

9. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep! There is no revolutionary Prius coming and the BEV will be late to the party. The Toyota of today is not the Toyota of the 80s and 90s where they want to out-innovate and out-build the old guard. Toyota is now the old guard, and if Toyota cannot beat others in building the next generation of cars, they will attempt to slow EV adoption thru changes in government policy to squeeze a few more years out of their hybrids.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I want a 100 mile battery under the floor and a spare with storage under the hatch.

Ovation likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    So, a next gen minivan. ;)

12. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Wow so much gloom and doom! Y'all do realize Toyota just went over GM as selling the most number of vehicles in the US from April through June? (Toyota sold 688,813) Hardly time for Yota to pack it up and go home. Here in Colorado where gasoline is quickly approaching $4.00 a gallon, you can't find a Prius on the lot...they are sold before they even arrive. (I, still, haven't seen a Corolla Hybrid at any dealership.)
    I would never even think about buying a Tesla. First of all, they don't share car maintenance/repair information with anybody, not even licensed professionals so repair costs are whatever the dealership (if you can find one) wants to charge. And we've all seen Tesla after Tesla on fire and even burning down houses with them. I don't remember Toyota ever warning consumers to park their vehicles outside because they may burn their house down. (Chevy Bolt, too.)
    Bottom line is America doesn't have the power infrastructure for everyone to be plugging in their cars at night...that's a fact. And how many businesses have outlets for workers to plug their EV cars in during the day? (Even the Fed Government isn't doing that.) It's very expensive and we're already going on $30 Trillion in debt.
    I do think Toyota should've put a larger battery in their Prime vehicles to extend the ranges but they were probably looking at the overall big picture...folks commuting to work in cities and surburbs and being able to fully charge in one night. Larger batteries take longer to charge, especially at 110 volts.
    In other news, Ford is recalling 2021 Ford F-150's because of a bad and dangerous electronic brake booster that could lead to a crash. What? How long have vehicles had brakes? Come on, GM, learn what quality is all about!!

JoeBlack likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm sorry, completely off-topic, but:

Colorado Boo likes this.
  14. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What non-hybrids get 50 mpg? None as far as I know.

Rav4 Prime doesn't compare to the Prius for mpg. Apples to oranges comparison also as they are completely different automobiles.

dig4dirt and MTN like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gloom and doom?
    toyota sold a ton of land yachts, prius? not so much

16. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I corrected myself with another post. I wasnt able to edit the typos after 12hrs.

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Pretty nice fuel economy.:cool:

FYI…. The magic number to remember to do the conversion is 235.215… divide this number by your L/100km and you will have the US MPG.

I.e. 235.215 / 3.3 = 71.277 MPG.

Calculator: Convert Liters per 100 Kilometers to Miles Per Gallon (US)

A bit less than the 74 you figured, but still very impressive. ;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I worked that out once, use it a lot. Well, just remember “235.2”, close enough. You can convert either direction with that function.

Sarge likes this.
  19. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I'm currently researching Prius Prime for myself and RAV4 Prime for my mother, and having just had a drive in a RAV4 Prime yesterday, I can certainly see how the RAV4 Prime could cannibalize Prius sales big time. It's an incredibly fun drive, QUICK, has a better dash layout (buttons and knobs), has real off-road capability, and fits the US preference for SUVs. Add on that 42 mile EV range and it's a killer. Personally I can't stretch the extra $10K for it though.

bisco likes this.
  20. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Personally, i'd like all Prius to be...

-Plug in..
    -More battery capacity.. 10/11Kwh range..
    -More refined engine (Primes engines are 2009 Corollas engines that runs Atkinson cycle)..
    -Lighter.

Marko!