1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Handling Components to be available soon!!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by BT Tech, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And you were worried that not enough people would see this thread :)

2. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [/quote]
    Thanks, but I'm going to have my local mechanic who used to do my Saturn do it for me.
    [/quote]
    I've just gone to my local fix-it-all guy who put the plate on for me in less than 15 minutes. Just make sure they have a torque wrench. No need to wait a month unless you absolutely want to wait for your guy.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, you've piqued my interest with this new aerodynamic part. Can you give us a hint? Does it go on the front? Perhaps under the car? Do I get a discount for ordering a plate and a new aerothingy?

4. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Wasn't easy.... to get it delivered that is. It was a snap to install though. I got mine about an hour ago, jacked up the passenger side of the car, applied a 12mm socket to the existing bolts; substituted Brian's using the 6mm allen bolts included; snugged up tight plus 1/4 turn (no torque wrench here); lowered the car and that was it.

Nice piece! Good job Brian....

I'm just waiting to think of someplace to drive to. :lol:

(More comments to come.....)

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oooo! Oooo! It's here! It's here!

It is a thing of beauty.

No problem figuring out how to install this puppy. Directions very clear.

But I don't have a Torque wrench or the special allen socket thingies.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Hans Meyer gets back from vacation.

I am *so* interested in the next "aerodynamic" object Brian has his mind on. In fact....sign me up now.

I don't care what it is because whatever it is I'm sure it will do what it's designed to do and will improve the car. I don't need to see it. Put me on the list and let me know whenever.

(I'm thinking of buying the stupid tools, going to my Dad's house who has a honkin' jack, and trying this myself. I really am. I think he has one of those slidey things for rolling under the car on your back too. )

6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got mine today and will install it this weekend. I will take some pictures and post them for all to see.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks everyone for your comments and impressions of our new stiffening plate. If anyone has any questions regarding the installation, please let me know as I will be checking this thread frequently.

Regarding the new aerodynamic part that I will have, I will post a new thread about this and put the link here. For those that are curious, it is NOT a front spoiler that some have asked about. It is designed to enhance high speed stability and reduce the effects of side generated forces caused by high profile vehicles passing and cross winds. It will be a perfect compliment to our current stiffening plate.

I will post some pictures this weekend..

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that if you have access to a jack and some jack stands and CAN BE SAFE, then go for it!! Installation of this part is very easy and straight forward. If you need any help, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"113852)</div>

9. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

The verdict is in! Took a test drive after installing "The Plate" and I would have to say it has cured a host of things. Overall the car feels more steady, I guess you could say tighter. It seems to have actually gotten rid of some squeaks, rattles and bumping sounds that used to be quite annoying. Corners, potholes and speedbumps are even more "neutralized".

Thanks again Brian.

Put me on that "tentative list" for "The AirDam". By the way what type of finish and fastening hardware did you have in mind? I can only imagine it would look better with matching paint....

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian - You have my attention (and money) if the new component is anything like the stiffening plate. Can't wait to see some pictures and hear the explanation of functionality. Thanks for taking the time to do stuff for this little car that Toyota does not seem to want to support in the USA with parts to make it better.

11. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got my stiffening plate on Wednesday, installed it the same day and it was very easy. I have now driven the car a few days and have to report I like it. It has made a big difference and has even helped with my highway issues a little but hopefully Brian’s next goodie will solve that. The part has made the most difference with city driving.

Good job Brian.

12. LuckyP

LuckyP New Member

Well sounds like the plate is well received. However I can't complain about the handling of my Prius. Granted I haven't run it through a slalom but I am a fairly aggressive driver weaving through traffic and I take curves hard.

That said, I am still considering it based on the replies but I wish someone could give a technical review of a before and after test.

13. popoff

popoff New Member

Brian,

I installed the plate this afternoon. I did it without jacking up the car so space was somewhat limited. I'm concerned I've overtightened the bolts and was wondering what might happen if I were to continue driving with the bolts too tight. You are very specific in the instructions about not overtightening so I do have some concern.

The plate is very nicely made. I'm looking forward to see your next offering.

14. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Popoff... I would not worry too much if you applied a but too much torque to the plate. My main concern is that someone does not keep tightening the bolts until they break. The amount of torque required for that to happen would be a GREAT DEAL!!

The recommended torque figure that I specified is what is perfect. If you applied a bit more, as long as the bolts are not broken off, you will be fine.

I hope this puts your mind at ease!! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

15. MHR

MHR New Member

I have not yet recieved my plate, was hoping it would come by this weekend. After hearing some of the comments by those who did the install - all I can say is I look forward to it's arrival. Please count me in for the next product as well.

Thanks Brian :)

16. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I take my hat off to those drivers who can immediately tell the difference the stiffening plate makes on their car's performance. Unfortunately I am not that sensitive.
    Although I personally felt the car to corner flatter with the new plate, I didn't find the conrnering that objectionable before I installed the plate.
    The only way to objectively tell the difference the stiffener makes is to put the car on an instrumented test track. Subjectively, I wish I had two Priuses (Prius's? Prii?) handy, one with the stiffener and one with the factory plate. I'd take them over the same course, one immediately after the other, a couple of times, and then I might have a chance of feeling the difference.
    Please don't misunderstand this posting. I'm not putting the plate down, I think it does make a difference but I can't really tell how much of a difference.

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oooo! Oooooo!

Elegant solution.

19. ArtVan

ArtVan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Road report on the stiffening plate. I drive 50 miles to work each day. 20 miles on country roads and 30 miles on I-10 through the Texas Hill Country. WOW! really improved handling on the curves. I can place the car where I want it in the curve and it stays there no leaning out. On the freeway it feels more stable with a little less wandering in the lane.
    Brian great job, many thanks!

Art
    '05 Salsa #6

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Art for your nice write-up below!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115