1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius has been in shop longer than it's been in my garage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dfly1972, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dfly1972

Dfly1972 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone. Just bought a new 2011 Prius on the 17th. Had leather and homelink mirror installed. So my wife picked it up that wed. We were pretty excited being getting a new car that got 50mpg. However after we got the car home we realized that the dome light was damaged, sun visor was damaged and weather seal around driver door was pulled away from frame. So we take it back the next day to have all the everything fixed. On the way home my wife realizes the Bluetooth isn't working. So we take it back again fri. Service guy says there something def wrong and they need to order a part. Take it back today and they give us a rental. Get a call at 545 saying they still don't know what's wrong and still working on it. They offered me urban something package. Some clear bra for the front and rear bumper. Not sure if I want it as I've never seen it. And it doesn't even cover the entire bumper. Wife loves the car. But would be nice if we didn't have to take it back ever day or so

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like the damage to dome light, sun visor and weather seal was caused by shoddy dealer work when installing the leather and homelink mirror. I've forgotten where Bluetooth microphone is, but if it's near the homelink mirror that could've been where it was damaged.

Don't go back to that dealer.

3. Dfly1972

Dfly1972 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. Damage absolutely done during the installs. The dome and sun visor were minor. But the weather trim not being in place was ridiculous. Lucky I didn't rain that night. The Bluetooth button is on the steering wheel. They're going to swap out the radio tomorrow to see if fixes it. Just sucks not being able to really enjoy our new car. And doesn't make me feel secure letting them do reg service every 5000 mile.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Stay away from that place once they fix the Bluetooth and find a different dealer to take in for regular service. The Bluetooth button may be on the steering wheel, but the microphone is elsewhere, likely near where the rear view mirror is.

5. Dfly1972

Dfly1972 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to at least get them to fix all there mistakes. And the dealer is really close to my wife's work making it almost convenient. The dealer by home dropped my neighbors camry off the rack when it was a week old. And didn't tell him for 3 hrs while he waited.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Things happen. I got another brand recently and its bluetooth didn't work, they couldn't figure it out at pick up so I brought it back the next week for repair. You'll be good once htey sort these issues out.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bluetooth microphone is just forward of the dome light switch, right in the same area as the other stuff they damaged. I don't think they should be poking around the switch in the steering wheel they might break something in there too.

This is apparently all due to unprofessional, sloppy workmanship. I would recommend staying clear of this dealer if you ever get your car fixed. Unfortunately one of the problems people run into with this kind of service department is that they tend to break two things for every one thing they fix.

For future reference I think it is usually better to buy a car with the options you want factory installed. Dealer installed options can be a real pain.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 has never been back to the dealer and it has 63,000 miles on it.

You should have picked up a IV with leather and homelink as a standard feature.

9. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never get options installed by dealer unless they are warranted by the manufacturer. Some options are only warranted by the installing dealer and you have no recourse if they don't work correctly. But it doesn't sound like a big deal. They should be able to figure the thing out in no time.

Does make you question the quality of work at this dealer.

10. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it reminds me of the time my father bought a 1965 XKE jaguar, $8,000 @ the time. it was a jaguar dealer in manhatten, NY, the dealer showroom was victorian, and must have cost a fortune to decorate. any way a week after he got it ,he brought it to a auto custom house that installed an arbarth exhaust system for $600.for parts alone. two weeks after that, the standard transmission developed an oil leak. he brought the car back to the dealer. (they had it for three wks) they tried to take the tranny out from underneith, destroyed the custom exhaust system, broke four exhaust manifold bolts, and stripped the rest. they still couldn't get the tranny out. then they attacked it from the inside. they ripped the headliner, stripped more bolts holding the seats in, ripped the leather on one seat and ruined the rug. when he went to pick up the car, it was still leaking, and they never did get the tranny out,plus it was in worse shape when they started. it broke his heart, and he sold the car shortly after. the sad part is i have seen more of this kind of stuff happen in my life. and in short watch very carefully who you are buying from.

11. Dfly1972

Dfly1972 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

i would've gotten the IV but they all come with nav which i didn't want.

finally got a call at 530. they finally figured out the problem. when they replaced the dome light they scratched they used a non bluetooth model. so it didnt have a mic. no mic no bluetooth. anyway they're going to detail it again and i get to pick it up tomorrow.

12. Gary in NY

Gary in NY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These are all parts they had to disassemble to install the mirror. Here's the instructions, it doesn't appear to be a very easy job. http://www.toyotapart.com/PT374-47100.pdf You might want to look over the other parts they had to disassemble to see if anything else looks wrong. I prefer to avoid dealer options, because the factory is better at what they do. Your dealer doesn't seem to be very competent. This mirror is also something I'd like, but considering how much has to be disassembled to install it, I think I'd rather not.

13. Dfly1972

Dfly1972 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow. That's a lot of work to install a mirror. I think they mentioned that it took almost 4 hrs to install. Now I see why. Homelink buttons r awesome. I had them on our sienna. Sucks that they're not standard on all new cars. I tested the dimming feature with a flash light and it seemed to work.

14. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This dealership isn't City Toyota in Daly City is it?

15. Gary in NY

Gary in NY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I really wish I had the homelink buttons. I carry 2 different garage door openers, and they don't fit on the visor because it's too thick. This mirror would help a lot. But, I decided not to spend a couple thousand extra to get it (I didn't really want most of the other things in the IV package, I'm fine without leather seats). That dealer installed mirror doesn't even fit my solar package, I have a different dome light due to the sunroof switch. But, the solar package is available with the homelink mirror if you buy them together in the Prius IV.

16. jbgggg

jbgggg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius IV and it does not have Nav. It was an $1800 option and I couldn't see that much for it. Do the 2011 Prius Four's all come with Nav?

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No. The Region orders the cars from Toyota. If they don't order a base Four then you won't find one in their states. For example, in NJ you won't find a Five-NAV so if you want one you'll have to find it in a state beyond our Region.