1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius - Impressions So Far

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Titch_Ryan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Titch_Ryan

Titch_Ryan New Member

So, I've now had my new Prius for a week, what do I think of it? First I should say that I did not
    purchase the Prius because of its fuel economy; I was more interested in trying out the technology.
    Second, as an engineer (now retired) with a considerable background in software and hardware
    design including a certain amount of automotive experience, I wanted to see exactly what all
    the "hype" was about.

Well, overall, some good some plain bad. First my "gripes":

The trip computer does not really deserve the name - all my previous cars including four Jaguars,
    a Volvo, Audi, as well as others fitted with a trip computer have provided not only average fuel
    consumption and distance travelled since the last reset, but also average speed over this distance;
    fuel consumed, and range to empty. These last three parameters are missing, and I am really annoyed.
    The data is certainly there, so why not display it? Also, what is the logic behind the "feature"
    whereby if you add more than 10 litres of fuel to the tank, the trip computer automatically
    resets itself? Another annoyance I could well do without.

The cruise control is equally idiosyncratic. All other cruise controls I have used remember the
    last preset speed until you either turn it off or turn the ignition off. Not so this Prius, if
    you have a speed memorised and you cancel the cruise and then the vehicle's speed drops below
    40km/hr 25mph, it automatically resets and clears the speed memory. Why? Nuisance.

Lack of switchable km/miles display. In Ireland I often have the occaison to travel across the
    border into Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK. Distances and speeds are in miles, and mph.
    What happened to the facility, shown in my User Handbook, whereby I could switch between the two
    systems of units? This is really annoying.

Innacurate fuel gauge. My fuel gauge is wildly optimistic. There are 10 bars to the fuel gauge,
    and with a tank capacity of 45 litres, I would expect each bar to mean between 4 and 5 litres of
    fuel. Imagine my surprise when, with 6 bars showing, meaning between 25 - 30 litres in the tank,
    it took 31 litres to fill it up! This meant that there was only about 14 - 15 litres of fuel in
    the tank, and thus there should only have been 3 - 4 bars lit up, not 6. How reliable therefore
    is the low fuel warning? Does it only come on when you have actually run out of fuel?

Voice Command System. Why is there no reference or explanation or command list for this feature
    in the Owner's Handbook? I have now taken photos with my digital camera of all the screens, so
    I can make my own quick reference, but why is this not provided? Also, how do I get rid of that
    damn annoying voice prompt? Surely after three or four uses you KNOW you have to wait for the
    damn beep! In addition, in the NAVIGATION mode if you request COMPASS MODE why can I not back out
    and return to MAP VIEW? In my case you have to touch the screen's icons and manually select the
    map view icon, which is on the far left of the screen, most inconvenient in a RHD car, as well
    as dangerous whilst driving. Another nuisance.

Fuel consumption. Too soon to tell, as it is still running-in, but even with the most gentle
    right foot, it only gets about 5.6 ltr/100km, or 50mpg (Imperial), 42mpg(US) well removed from
    the Toyota figure, but hopefully it will get better as I learn to use it and the vehicle gets
    run in.

Intelligent Parking Assist. This is my most serious gripe. So far it has not managed to
    successfully park the car once. It always aborts with various excuses. At the end of my driveway
    for example it says that there is too steep a slope. There is a slight, but only very slight
    slope, but apparently this is beyond its abilities. Equally, in town it has great difficulty
    identifying the real target position, and even with a fair amount of manual repositioning, it
    still fails. The only time it has actually worked was in the dealer's garage on a dead flat and
    smooth floor and with clean bright white painted lines and lots of illumination. In the real world
    of Irish roads, gravel roads, little or no kerbs etc, it fails miserably. In addition, because it
    requires a fair amount of manual fiddling around to position the target, don't try it out on a
    busy street or a parking lot on a Friday afternoon! About the only good thing is the rear mounted
    colour fish-eye lens camera giving 180 degree visibility and an accurate 0.5 metre warning mark so
    that you can at least see exactly what is behind you and where you are positioned. At 6,000 Euro
    this is a very expensive TV camera.

There are also far too many minor preference options that require dealer intervention. If we are
    supposed to be savvy enough to set up our personal computers, why do we have to trot along to our
    nearest friendly dealer simply to disable the beep for this, or the flashing indicators for that?
    Why can we not have a User Preference screen so that we can set these things to our own liking and
    change them as we see fit?

However, I do like the driving position; there is a commanding view of the road, the leather seats
    are very comfortable; the silence is on a par with that of my Jaguar 'S'-Type, the steering is
    light, positive and not over assisted with good feel; the brakes are light, progressive, and
    provide a lot of tactile feedback such that my Jag's brakes feel almost heavy by comparison. I do
    like driving it, and although I do not believe that I'll be able to throw it around like my Jag,
    it does sort of grow on you.

Value For Money. This is a really subjective issue, but considering that other comparably priced
    vehicles have auto wipers, auto headlamps, auto dim electrochromic interior mirrors, heated seats,
    even electric seats and the Prius is quite "bare" by comparison, especially as in Europe we don't
    even get High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, you certainly cannot claim that it represents
    good value for money on the equipment and specification category. Equally, even if it meets its
    stated fuel consumption figures, there are a number of diesel engined vehicles in Europe that can
    almost match these figures and still give real performance. I have personal experience of a Jaguar
    X-Type with a 2-litre turbo diesel that managed 5.3 litres/100km and had immense mid range torque
    and was huge fun to chuck around, so it can be done. Nonetheless, it is an exotic, technologically
    advanced, idiosyncratic fascinating piece of automotive engineering, and you won't see many. In
    the last year and only in the UK I have only seen three. In Ireland apart from mine, I have only
    seen two, one was the dealer's demonmstrator, and the other was one he had in his showroom, the
    third was the one I ordered. Will it grow on me, or will its nuisances annoy me more than it
    pleases me? Time will tell, more to follow.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat, our international contingent is much smaller than it should be so it's always good to have someone new to add that international touch.

I'm suprised you haven't seen more Prii in Ireland. When I was there last May/June I saw no less than 5 Prii during our 10 day trip.

I think most of the annoyances you mentioned are pretty darn minor and I expect you'll get very used to. They are, for the most part, design choices/trade-offs. The Cruise Control is how it is on all of Toyota's vehicles...I like the Ford CC set-up better myself, but after a couple of weeks one becomes very comfortable with it and you don't even think about it any longer.

Others have echoed your 'miles to empty' desire. Average speed is pretty useless...fun maybe, but pointless. I don't have the IPA so your feedback there is interesting...I had no idea it was so fickle.

You can find, somewhere, a list of all the voice commands. Try searching this site, if that doesn't turn it up try john1701a.com, I'm sure he has it. Ultimately you'll find, I think, that there are only a handful of commands that you'll ever use. It's a fun toy, but most items are accessed more quickly with the steering wheel buttons.

I don't know why Toyota chose to not include the km/mph button on the right-side steering vehicles...the US version has this button. The functionality is probably accessible somehow, but I'm not familiar with anyone who's figured it out yet.

The fuel gauge is fickle...we often call it the 'guess guage'...but, again, with time you'll get a good sense of when to fill up. I found that I can wait until the last bar starts flashing...others like to fill at 1/4 tank...the fuel system has changed a little over the 4 production years of the Prius so be cautious at first...but you'll figure it out soon enough. It should, theoretically, be easier for your car than mine since you don't have the rubber bladder that the US version has.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrian Ryan @ Feb 14 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]390248[/snapback]</div>
    Curious. I assumed all European RHD models would be the same. UK cars can switch the speedometer with a dashboard button (but not the trip meters, odometer, or information screen). There is a separate metric/Imperial setting for the navigation system.

The bars disappear faster as the tank gets emptier; it's a long way from being linear. I assume the intent is that it gives you a finer indication of how close you are to empty - it's more important to be able to tell the difference between 5 and 10 litres in the tank than between 35 and 40 litres.

The next stage after 1 bar, is for the last bar to start flashing, and you get a beep and "Add fuel" message on the display. This beep and message is repeated every time you start the car. At some point later as the tank empties further you will get a reminder "Add fuel" message on the screen while driving, but no other visible indication.

You can expect to be able to make maybe up to 50 miles after the bar starts flashing, I reckon.

What's the problem? How's compass mode different to any of the other modes? Are you saying you haven't found the voice command? I use "Single map" (as opposed to "Dual map"). It may also accept something like "Map Mode".

Very much depends on weather. My lifetime average is 51 or 52 mpg Imperial, but I do mainly short journeys. This is a bad time of year to start - if you're getting 50 now, you're doing well, I reckon.

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, this is a long post, but thanks for sharing. To me personally, these are very minor inconveniences given how much fun I am having driving this baby. If you are used to driving Jaguars, I can understand your unhappiness towards these details. Most of us (I think) bought the Prius without expecting luxary sedan qualities, but a reasonably priced, high-tech piece of equipment that gives you good mileage and is better for the environment. I bought my Prius for about $26,500 (including taxes etc - 2006 package 4), but if they added features that you expected and raised the price for another few thousand dollars, I would have to go for a lower package. It would be nice to have all these details, but you have to agree that it's a fun and a different car to drive. :)

5. stevelawrence

stevelawrence Junior Member

>Voice Command System. Why is there no reference or explanation or command list for this feature in the Owner's Handbook?

It's in the DVD nagivation handbook - the separate one that they give the NAV option buyers. Not alot of point handing it out to a package #2 user - they'll only get jealous :p

But.. Although I love it, I'm a wee bit frustrated with for instance, the inability to give certain commands on 'certain screens'. I mean, if I can 'Louder' (increase volume - I realise this is stupid, as I have a button on the wheel for it.. but bear with me) on the MAP screen, why cannot I do it on the INFO screen.

Likewise, 'Call HOME' cannot be done on the Climate screen? And has to be done.. I do not know. I forget. but voice commands should be independant of what screen is on the LCD. It should 'just work...'

I've not run out of petrol yet.. but my bars seem to be going down evenly. I'm down to 3 bars after a week's driving.

I have a kvm/mph switch, although I'll never use it.

The cruise thing? My previous car, if you 'cancelled' the cruise with either a brake press, or using the cancel button.. it forgot where you were. I'd just hit 'set' again when I got back up to my cruising speed. This isn't really a problem for me, personally.

Intelligent Parking - I don't think this is on the US models? Although it should be.. :p

My list of gripes so far include :

Awkward drivers's seat belt position. I'm by no means large, but there seems to be very little room between me and the center console to get my belt clicked in.

The voice recognition having only some commands work on some screens.

I find the backup camera fairly odd to use. Maybe I'm not used to it, but I find I'm turning around *anyway* and that rear window is tiny..

The 'smart-key' unlocking. Sometimes I can walk to up to my car and it'll unlock the doors. Sometimes I have to grab the handle. Sometimes I have to get my keys out and clicky the unlock... This always happens when I'm trying to demonstrate the 'coolness' of the smart entry to a friend :(

The 'Auto' cabin heater always uses the foot warmers. If I hit the middle fan things to blow air onto my body, instead of my feet, it disables the Auto.

And my knees get cold - the mid-level fan outlets (either side of the steering wheel) don't seem to angle down nicely to blow on my knees... :(

Oh, and I keep turning off the Auto-dimming mirror, but everytime I start up the car it returns to its Auto-Dimming capability.

Steve.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Adrian,

Welcome to the site. Thank you for sharing your experiences with some of the options not available to us in NA. To offset the lower winter fuel economy I increased tire pressure to 42front/40rear psi and blocked the grill with pipe insulation. The insulation keeps the engine from running as much which is most noticable when stopped.

7. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

I filled my tank with gas on January 22. 10 blocks showed on the gas gauge. I drive short distances 2 or 3 times a week. Today I still have 10 blocks showing. Is the gas gauge stuck? I've owned the 2007 Prius for a couple of months.
    Mary

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrian Ryan @ Feb 14 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]390248[/snapback]</div>

Hi and welcome to PriusChat! I'll try to answer some of your gripes.

1. Trip computers come in various types as you've seen. The standard one is a 5-function trip computer which includes instant FE, avg FE, avg speed, dist. to empty and elapsed time. Other functions may include tank avg, fuel left, oil level etc. Unfortunately, the Prius only shows instant/avg consumption and nothing else.

2. The cruise control system isn't limited to the Prius. It's more or less consistent with most Japanese cars.

3. This is another one of those regional things. In NA, we get a km/mi button to change the speedo.

4. This I'm not sure. You're one of the first I've heard of an inaccurate gauge OUTSIDE of North America. Our fuel tanks have a bladder in them. Yours doesn't so technically, it should be more accurate than ours. For Toyotas, the low fuel light means ~10 litres left and I've tried it on 4 different Toyotas of different model years and it's fairly consistent with the 10 litre mark. It could be that particular service station pump that you used.

5. Can't help you there since I don't have a factory navigation system. However, do check out john1701a.com (no www). He has a Prius_User_Guide.pdf file that has the voice commands and various other useful information!

6. 5.6L/100km is not too bad! That was what I was getting when my car was new (note that we get the smaller 15" alloys vs. your 16" alloys so you may experience lower mileage b/c of the larger wheels). In time as the car breaks in and YOU learn how to drive efficiently (no, that does not mean driving like a grandma and accelerating slowly or seeing how long you can stay in EV mode. Everything I've mentioned will actually HURT fuel economy! Sounds counterintuitive but trust us, there are better ways to improve FE).

7. Ahh.. IPA.. now this one requires some tricks in order to get it right and minimise frustration. The thing about the IPA is that it will not reverse on an incline as you've discovered. The reason is this - the system is designed to power itself without your input on the accelerator. Given that the Prius reverses in EV only, it only has the power that the battery can supply the motor. Even with the new LS460 with APGS (Lexus' version of IPA and probably an improved software version) and its V8 engine, it won't reverse park if there's a slight incline and the car can't power itself out.

Now you say, why can't I give it some gas? Well, that defeats the point of park assist and also for safety (and legal) reasons, if the driver touches the accelerator, lift off the brake or touches the steering wheel, the system will cancel.

Now. positioning. If you're parallel parking, you'll have to pull further forward than you normally would if you were parking the car yourself. Your physical self in the driver's seat must be in line with the front bumper of the car you want to park behind (that's pretty far forward isn't it?). That way, the camera and computer can see the corner of the car and put the flag marker there. If you're beside the mirror or front wheel or anywhere closer, the camera cannot see the corner of the car and you'll end up spending 30 seconds pressing the arrows on the screen and adjusting the box.

If you're reverse parking, you'll have to pull into the oncoming lane in order for the camera and computer to see the two lines. This works well in car parks or other low traffic areas where it's ok to pull into the oncoming lane. The car has to be ~45° to the spot you want to reverse. Naturally, if the lines aren't distinct (faded beyond recognition or if the painted line is broken in several places) then it won't recognise it.

8. Unfortunately, unlike the European manufacturers (and Nissan), we don't have an user-customisable menu in the car. It goes the same for Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.

As for your likes:

The US is the only country that gets HIDs. The rest of the world gets halogen headlights. (ok I lied. The Japanese Touring model also gets HIDs). US doesn't get auto-headlights, UK doesn't get the smart key, Italy doesn't get cruise control, France doesn't have anti-theft so you're not alone lol. Each country has its own weird eqiupment package.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Feb 14 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]390553[/snapback]</div>
    Nope! You'll find that the first bar takes a long time, then the 2-5 bar drops rapidly then 6-10 at a regular rate.

9. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There IS a way to turn off the voice command prompt and have only the beep. On my US 2006 model, I go to the Menu->Setup screen, scroll to the second screenful, and there is an item called "Voice Recognition Guidance". Set this to "Off" and Jill shuts up.

In general, the voice recognition is not that useful. I once figured out how to enter an address into the Nav system by voice commands, but it takes about 9 commands to do it (separately specifying the state, city, street, number, and finally the "set as destination" command.) I don't know if I could remember the sequence while driving.

If I'm on the road and say the "I'm Hungry" command, all the system does is display restaurant icons. I would like to have it offer a choice of nearby restaurants and allow me to pick one, then guide me to it. It's annoying that you have to stop the car to set a destination like that, and the voice commands don't really help the situation. My Garmin GPS doesn't have voice commands, but I sure can locate a restaurant and set it as the destination while in motion. Win some, lose some, I guess.

10. dandude505

dandude505 New Member

I just want to clarify one thing:
    In the North American Models, it is possible (and easy) to change Miles/KM both in the speedometer and the NAV system. On startup, when asked to select a language and Accept, you can choose Spanish or French, and (I think), if the speedometer is on KM, the NAV system will convert to KM. You should be able to change MPH/KM for your NAV system in Ireland that way...

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Lawrence @ Feb 14 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]390335[/snapback]</div>
    Just a small point of clarification... the "Louder" and "Softer" commands are not the same as pressing the Volume +/- buttons on the steering wheel. These commands actually change the volume level of the Nav guidance, not the audio system. However, this can also be modified through the MFD (Menu -> Volume), even while in motion (imagine that!). ;)

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Feb 14 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]390581[/snapback]</div>
    I second that - definitely turn off the VR guidance... it will make it much better!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Feb 14 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]390581[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'm in the minority around here in thinking the Voice guidance in the Prius is actually pretty good once learn the key commands (although there are a few more I wish it had). Of course, the recognition performance is related to ambient noise in the car as well as your speaking accent.

That said, all you need to remember to set a complete address while in motion is the command "Address". Once you say that command, "Jill" will prompt you for each part of the address (State -> City -> Street -> House Number). Note that the prompts for Address entry are still given even with Guidance off.

As for commands missing, I wish you could set an intersection destination by voice. I often know what neighborhood I want to go to, but not the exact address. Why did Toyota not include this? :unsure:

Actually, there is a command for that. :)

Normally, you can just hit the voice button and yell out a POI category and it will show all the icons on the map (like with "I'm Hungry"). However, try saying "Nearest" before the category (i.e. "Nearest Fast Food") it will automatically show the closest POI with a Add/Enter Destination and Show List buttons. Unfortunately, the Show List button is only available if you are not in motion. <_<

All in all, voice nav is not a perfect system, but not all that bad either when you know how to use it.

Has anyone figured out the software motion override for the 06/07 Nav yet? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DES_Prius @ Feb 14 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]390671[/snapback]</div>
    The language setting in the Nav is completely independent from the measurement unit (miles/KM).

The speedo is toggled with the hard plastic button right below the MFD, but the Nav mileage unit setting is found within the Menu settings. The odometer and trip meters will not change from the native measurement unit according to the country for which it was built.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Lawrence @ Feb 14 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]390335[/snapback]</div>
    I too am irked by not all commands working in all the screens. It's quite annoying to hear the reply "this command is not available [in this screen]...", something to that effect.

As for the smart key. It ALWAYS works for me. The trick is to walk up to the car and touch the black plastic strip on either of the two front door handles. It should ALWAYS unlock if you do that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 14 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]390570[/snapback]</div>
    I agree w/the OP's gripe about the trip computer. My cheaper 02 Nissan Maxima's trip computer (standard on all of them of that model year) had mpg, average speed, count up timer, outside temp, and distance to empty. My 350Z's trip computer has all that + an extra trip odometer (for a total of 3 in the car), a digital speedometer and a useless stopwatch. The Z's w/tire pressure monitoring can also get the pressure of all 4 tires displayed in trip computer. Manual transmission Zs also let you (via trip computer) set the engine RPM at which a red shift light would turn on to remind you to shift.

As for the cruise control forgetting its speed <25 mph, that's not necessarily a Japanese car thing. It's not true on either my Z or my former Maxima.

We've got no IPA as a choice at all on US Priuses. :(

14. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrian Ryan @ Feb 14 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]390248[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PC.

After reading your narrative about the Prius, I must say that (my opinion, mind you!) I sincerely believe you are looking at the car in the wrong light.

This is not a Jag, a Volvo or an Audi. Those can pretty much be classified as high end or "luxury" autos (again, my opinion). They are expected to have all the bells and whistles.

All the "technology" you wanted to "try out" is basically transparent to the operator.

You said you didn't buy the car for it's gas mileage and a great deal of the technology of the car is obviously used towards this end.

The car also has 1/2 the Carbon Dioxide output of the even the more fuel efficient cars out there....my wife still drives my 04 Honda. It gets 28 MPG. I went on some site (forget the URL) but it had a little tool where you put in the make and model of the car and it will tell you how much CO2 it puts in the atmoshphere over so many miles. Over 25,000 miles, the Prius puts out HALF the CO2 of the Honda.

If you bought the Prius for all the bells and whistles it might have, then you bought the wrong car.

As far as your "value for the money" comments......as I said before, I used to drive an 04 Honda Accord. My fuel bills usually ran around $200 to $250 a month (my commute is 100 miles/day, plus other driving). Now my fuel bills run about $90 to $120/month. Basically a little over $100 /month savings. But my car payment went up from $270 to $370! So that's a wash. The insurance is a bit more expensive but not much...basically a wash.

So in purely cash flow terms, the car is not saving me much (if anything). The real savings are seen when looked at through "environmental" eyes.....

I am putting out HALF the CO2 into the atmosphere of most other cars. Everytime I gas up, I put almost ZERO gas vapors into the atmosphere. I used to use almost 1,000 gallons of gas a year.....now I use a little over 500 gallons.

Just think about this...if EVERYONE could afford to just go out and buy a Prius, US autos would put out HALF the CO2 emmisions and use HALF the gasoline they do now......If you have seen "An Inconvenient Truth", that is worth the price of the car alone in my book.

As far as your other comments regarding the car, they have merit when looking through the eyes of former luxury car owners. That being said....

Have fun driving your Prius!

15. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrian Ryan @ Feb 14 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]390248[/snapback]</div>
    I can't address many of your complaints about the Prius as I don't have some of them or don't bother to use the others. I will say I bought mine for fuel economy, enviornmental reasons, and a $3150.00 tax credit from the Govt. My Prius has pkg. 1 and we paid $21,500 for it. Every week I fill the tank while shopping. I could care less about how many bars are showing. All I care about are how many MPG did I get before resetting the trip meters. You had some nice luxary cars before and I'm sure they cost far more than $21,000 dollars.

The Prius does exactly what it's designed to do and at a very affordable price. My only complaints are about resetting the cruise control continually and the lack of comfortable, 6 way power seats.

16. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow! A lot of these gripes are how I feel too. Glad I'm not alone.

Sorry to hear that your Prius is not as "user friendly" as you would have liked it. Jaguars are ok in my opinion but being a tech guy, I'll take a geeky car like the Prius over a Jag. I love my Prius but it does have it's flaws. The Nav system on the 2006 + models are the best I have ever seen, factory or not in the U.S. Still, I can't begin to tell you how many times "Home" translated into "Banks" or "Ski Resorts". Not being able to tell "Jill" an address without having full detail is also annoying. Still, until we get Traffic reporting, 3D street level viewing, with live weather like those in Japanese/Korean GPS units, the Prius one will do.

As mentioned, consult your manual or ask your dealer for a Nav manual.

17. Titch_Ryan

Titch_Ryan New Member

everyone who took the time to reply to my post; many thanks indeed, the information was extremely useful, and the links to other sources also very welcome. I am much obliged.
    I thought I would add a little about the purchasing experience here in Ireland., which may be of interest to you in NA/Canada, so I've added another post "Prius Prices In Ireland".
    Kind regards.

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Adrian,

I am not sure if any of the long replies addressed this or not, but here goes. To get good mileage out of a Prius (which you are not, unless its -30 C there these days), you need to accellerate at a moderate rate. That does not mean gently at all. And it does not mean flooring the pedal.

The Prius uses the motor for what in other cars is called "acelleration enrichment". Without enrichment, there is little issue with dipping into the acellerator pedal, and fuel economy. In fact, the engine is more efficient at the mid-power output. This is also why the engine, although it snaps on quickly, slowly comes up to speed.

With a good brisk, but not full throttle accelleration, you may improve your mileage on 20 to 30 miles trips up to the low 50's mpg (US gallons) in temps above 10 C that average around 40 to 50 mph. You should also keep the tires at 40 psi in the fronts (or a little higher) and 38 psi in the rears (or a little higher). The door label is wrong as to the least wear pressure. And keeping the tires at these pressures will avoid wearing out the tire edges prematurely.

While you might not be able to toss a Prius around like a Jaquar, it can be driven spirited, IF, you take care of the back-end wiggle. I would NOT recommend doing any quick manuevers before taking care of that FIRST. There is a company in Florida who has just the fix, and you can find their product (BT Tech Chasis stiffening plate) on PC chat's store here. I have no affiliation with BT Tech, or PC Chat's store. Until such time as you have that fixed, DO NOT react quickly with the steering wheel based on what you feel through the seat. Its best to drive the stock Prius with one's eyes primarily.