1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Lease Special - Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Oblio, Feb 3, 2010.

1. xlr8me

xlr8me New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    dude, you don't own jack until you pay it off. leasing is smart. try buying a new prius for 200 a month. they will laugh you out of the dealership.

2. ds18s20

ds18s20 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks xlr8me

That is the first time I see a rational reflection of the true world financial reality when comparing lease vs buy.

Why is it so difficult to admin for so many? Is it pride or emotions? Buying costs about 3 times more per month than leasing.

The economic question is what does one get in exchange of what monthly expense?

What one gets is the use of vehicle, the ability to transport oneself from place to place. Next: what does that cost per month?

For this product I will only look at the monthly cost. Period. To own; to control; etc. How does that change the product which I am purchasing? Am I transported from A to B faster if I own? Ohhhh but yes I might feel happier if I knew I owned? Well for me that human emotion is NOT worth three times more the monthly expense.

There is nothing wrong with owning if one is happier. But you must add this to the left side of the equation: you are purchasing a Prius - you know the ability to transport oneself from place to place plus one is purchasing a human emotion. That is MORE product compared to those just looking to buy a Prius with no emotional gratification. It's like apples and oranges: often people fail to account for the product and just compare Prius buy vs Prius lease. IMHO that is erred logic. It's not Prius, it's Prius plus gratification as a package vs Prius alone (no package).

~B

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ ;)

Lease is costly for a number of reasons, not all at play every time:
    1. Suckers pay msrp. Look at the car dealer Dianne's offers e.g. in this forum. Discount off msrp for buyers, but not for leasers.
    2. Leasing fees
    3. High early depreciation every new lease
    4. No ability to shop interest rates
    5. Mandatory full insurance
    6. Retun fees and fines at lease end.
    7. No flexibility in timing of next car purchase.