1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Li-ion battery possible as a replacement?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Eric "v", Jan 27, 2015.

1. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I realize my Prius has only 16,000 + miles on it but that's just since last February. I'll have 100,000 on it in 6 years, maybe less.

Is it mainly miles that kills our Ni-mh battery or age?

In any event I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit our v wagons with a newer Lithium-ion battery when the time comes? Maybe a software re-flash would make our inverter compatable with the new Li-ion batter.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything is possible, if you've got the $$$$$. it's mainly heat that kills the battery, and you've got all you can handle.;)

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the battery related hardware and software would need to be changed to manage the different battery. The "v" model in Europe is equipped with a Lithium-ion battery if it has the third seat.

S.Bell likes this.
  4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would anyone assume that the car will need a new traction battery at 100K miles?

S.Bell and Bmr4life like this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are companies that can add lithium batteries to give you more range. In 5 or 6 years, a replacement battery most would consider would be a reconditioned factory version because of the relatively low cost.

The problem with an add on lithium pack is the cost; it is high and might get you 50 miles of electric range. By 2020 (five years from now), the newer lithium powered cars will likely be much more desirable and affordable, maybe with 400 miles range for the price of a v today.

6. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's as I figured, selling my used v to get a newer car with a Li-ion battery will save a lot of money compared to "grafting" one onto my v. Hells bells, Hundai already has Li-ion batteries in their hybrids.

Hopefully in 5 or 6 years automotive chassis technology will have found a way to lighten the body by using composite plastic and carbon fiber in a much less expensive way than today's super cars. That will raise mileage (by "adding lightness") along with more powerful, compact electric motors like the highly efficient axial flux motors that use powerful rare earth magnets instead of wire windings.
    Judas, I really want more power in my v. Adding a cold air intake has only helped in the mid to high end RPMs. Great electric motors for that 0 to 60 sprint would be nice. Then you have power if you need it in an emergency. Hitting the brakes is not always the best way to avoid an accident.

I pray that the perfection of gas/electric hybrids is nearing. Then we'll be probably transitioning to hydrogen fuel cell cars. Now THERE is some real BTU dense fuel. I can almost smell the water from the exhaust!

#6 Eric "v", Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you lived in Colorado you could visit member 3ProngPaul at Boulder Hybrid Conversions. I am not sure if he uses Li batts but he can convert your hybrid to a plug-in. In CO conversions are heavily subsidized by the state, basically making it possible to run a business for that.

S.Bell likes this.
  8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    and it sits in the centre console instead of behind the rear seats.

9. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm REALLY? The Euro version of the v has a Li-ion battery in the center console area? Now THAT is small - not to mention five stone lighter.