1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Likes and Dislikes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Black2006, Mar 23, 2006.

1. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm holding two raffle tickets from a charity for a 2006 325i... there's a small chance (2/2000) that the Prius will be for sale.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the nice words, brashe -

I didn't mean for that to be a public service announcement - was only an attempt to ward off the typical "I've heard all about EVs - they suck, and nobody wants them, blah, blah." :)

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Me rikey the following:

The stereo, while not as good as it could be, is fine for a stock unit.
    The QUIET ride of this car. When I can, I drive this car with the windows down, and I just love not hearing anything but the sound of my tires on the road. Of course, this is late at night, with hardly anyone on the road.
    I love the mpg. Heck, coming from my 30 and less xB, anything over 35 is fine with me, and I am averaging about 50 or so. I have just crossed 12,000 on the ODO.
    I am happy with the windows, and the rear window. About the only thing I don't like about the rear window is the way dirt catches on the lower glass.
    I like the seats, which are more comfortable then the xB.
    I like all the storage space in the car.

Me not rikey the following:

The stupid lack of support for ALL Bluetooth phones. As in, why does my Motorola work super fine, but my TREO 700w does not? It does work, but it lacks the ability to answer automatically, and load phone entries...Of course, I have the '05; I hear it's not the same with the '06.
    I am not a fan of the placement for the power button, but that is a minor thing.
    I wish you could, with out a override cheat, control the MFD from at least the passenger seat; you know, the looking up of locations, dialing the phone...that sort of thing.

But you know what? I am driving a STATE OF THE ART car, that is years ahead of many cars on the road. I am complaining about things that many cars don't have.

So you know what, when I really think about it, me rikey the car a lot. A whole lot.

4. Black2006

Black2006 Member

About the ride, I did a comparo today with a BMW 530 with a sports suspension and frankly, driving on the potholed streets of Los Angeles, the 2006 Prius (with a BT plate, although not sure how much of a difference this makes) didn't compare so badly. All those bumps were pretty well controlled. Really.

On the other hand, I just noticed the exposed screws inside the door handles. For close to $33,000 (which is the check I wrote for mine,) I do expect them to cover those!

Oh, and I did get honked at today for looking for my phone in order to dial while moving, since the screen will not let me do so. Some safety feature!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is NOT a problem caused by the Prius, it's a problem caused by the phone and/or phone carrier. They lack the necessary tools to work with the system in the Prius.

6. spindoc

spindoc New Member

I'd like to see a light for "washer fluid low!" <_<

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't GM let you show you the vehicle's diagnostics online or something? I saw an ad for OnStar and it said you could see if your vehicle's in working order by checking online.

Hmm, we had a Dodge Ram once (borrowed it cause we had to move the sofa). The DIST TO EMPTY gauge kept fluctuating. A round trip from my house, the gauge fluctuated by 6kms (i.e. yes it actually gained kms at some points). Never seen that happen on the Camry.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually Doc, it *is* a problem caused by the Prius. The Prius does not follow the BT specs for handsfree and OBEX well. And when it can/does receive vCard data from a phone (ie, an address book entry), it barely knows what to do with it. The way it handles BT really looks like it was an effort thrown together in a few days just so they could claim they supported it.

9. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

One thing I found annoying.. If I put my work case on the passenger seat, it gives off that annoying 'seatbelt not on buzer' for the passenger side. I also get it sometimes when I will lean on the passenger seat with my oustretched arm sometimes.

10. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (studying up for when my prius arrives... :))

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Mar 23 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]229348[/snapback]</div>

Sounds like a bit of buyer's remorse. Did you really expect the Prius to handle like an NSX or 735i? Come on, can we compare prices? Nav system complaints are justified and echoed here. I too had dislikes with our new Prius. Mostly due to safety issues with blindspots and discomfort with the seats. The good news for us is that the Prius has really grown on us. My wife now loves driving it and her Honda sits forlornly unused. What changed? Well, we got used to it's quirks and adjusted for one. Also, we changed out the stock tires and added a BT chassis stiffening plate. BMW handling, no. Significant improvement, definitely.

As to the seat options, what does the 8-way memory seat in the Beemer weigh? If Toyota chose to laden the car with heavy options like electric seats, electric moonroof, etc. the mileage would go down. I can understand their passing on this option. Me, I'm looking at seat options too, but watching the weight as well. Maybe Recarro front seats?

12. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm coming from a Saab 9-5 that I was very happy with.

I've had the car almost one week. I've driven it about 250 miles i.e.- a half a tank of gas!

besides the obvious things, such as the 48 MPG I'm getting, and the coolness of having people in the car think it stalls every time I stop at a red light, here are the few things that jump out at me:

The smartkey system is amazing. I also love the pushbutton start.

I think the car has a love it or hate it interior. I love it. Very futuristic. I am a big fan of wood kits and was going to order an aftermarket one for the Prius, but the chrome look fits in nicely.

I have found the car to be more comfortable then I thought it would be. I'm 6 feet tall and 215 pounds. Not a problem in the Prius.

Tons of storage space. Lack of storage areas is one of the biggest negatives of the Saab.

I really enjoy watching the bar graph on the display. I'm a stat freak and it's just cool. I also like seeing how many times I can push it over 50 MPG for a 5 minutes period (I'm usually right around there).

Dislikes

No doubt about it- the view through the back windows. It's terrible. I wosh I could hit a button and have my rear view camera go on when I'm in drive.

I also wish I could make the light on the buttons on the steering wheel brighen up. It's hard to see them at night. The dashboard light control has no effect on those lights.

other then that, I'm happy with my purchase. I thougth I would miss the leather (heated) seats, great pick-up, great stereo, cool dash of the Saab, but I really don't. The biggest things I miss from my Saab are the cupholder (you had to see it to understand) and the side view mirrror. Saab has a mirror that bends out a little at the end so you could see further out (if you were in the left lane of a three lane highway, you could see both other lanes with ease). It was very well designed. All cars should have it.

13. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Mar 23 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]229348[/snapback]</div>
    probably you should have been a mechanical engineer to understand that..............

14. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amyshubby @ Mar 29 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]232101[/snapback]</div>
    Has anyone figured out how to brighten up the steering wheel buttons?

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amyshubby @ Mar 29 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]232101[/snapback]</div>
    Ain't that right lol.

16. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Mar 25 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]230097[/snapback]</div>
    You can turn that off. Check out the knowledgebase section. I think it's the same in the '06 as it is in the '04-'05.

17. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engunneer @ Mar 30 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]232622[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks... I'll check that out!