1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius only Averaging 38 MPGs...help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eamers, Jan 19, 2010.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used black cable ties to hold the 3/4" insulation into place. It's not the tightest fit, but it does appear to make a difference, even on the shorter trips. Plus, you don't have to worry about it coming loose at all. If you really wanted to stand out, you could get a big pack of the fluorescent cable ties LOL.

2. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have any of you found any difference in mpg when using 87 gas vs. premium gas? i just filled in my first tank - 38.6 mpg for about 350miles. still break-in period, and hopefully, it would improve.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Almost 10k miles, and still getting just under 40. It's the highway miles and hills that are killing mine, but it's twice wheat my Cadillac got.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The highway actually helps me. If I stay at 65mph then 50mpg is easy. The hills can kill though. :(

5. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cold weather, hills, high speeds, ----- all have their detrimental effect on the mileage of these cars. I've just done a 250 mile trip, one way, and was lucky to pull out 40mpg average. Cold start, in teens, engine ran long to warmup, turnpike speed of 78+mph returned me only 34.5mpg for 100 miles. Also was north bound against a gusting wind of 20-25mph, so didn't expect very good mileage. Then east bound with wind slightly at the rear, and finally south bound, with wind advantages, but Ozarks, (up & down). The only thing I did to try to improve the mpg is pump the tires up to 40psi. It was to try a higher pressure than I have ever used and would not think of using before. The car actually didn't ride that much harsher. My only regret is that I didn't get the "film" put on the front of the car after I bought it as I have two or three very small scars in the front due to grains of sand, (thanks to the "big rigs" on the interstates). The sand from "sand&salt" of snows, never gets vac'd up, or brushed off the roadway, so the trucks "sandblast" anything behind them!! I will hopefully get better mileage on return trip, (I'll try harder!).

6. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what film are you referring to?

7. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

There is a clear plastic film which can be, & is, applied to the front surfaces of the car. 3M makes the product, and others on the forum here have spoke of other makes. It is applied much like the window film (tint) is to the windows. It's like an invisible "bra" for the frontend. Most get it put on the backs of the mirrors, the frontend, (entirely), and at least a portion of the hood. It is something some people can do themselves, if they know what they are doing, but most would prefer to let a professional do it. It is expensive though, compared to a conventional "bra" for the front of a car. I shouldn't think a conventional bra would be a good choice for the mpg of these cars.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As an FYI for shankyyy, an example of one vendor of these is Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp..

I had a clear bra attached to the front bumper and front of the hood of my silver 02 Maxima (I forget the name of the vendor). It had paint that chipped VERY easily. IIRC, I got 8+ visible chips on the front of the hood (w/o the clear bra) within the first few months despite not driving that much. (Was a common complaint on maxima.org)

9. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thx greenclipper and cwerdna. i guess this is not same as the paint protection film that the dealer tries to sell??. anyway, do you think a car detailing expert can put this film on? i'm going to get a detailing done soon.