1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner just installed Techstream...Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lurch632, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Lurch632

Lurch632 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello everyone!

I'm a new prius owner and bought a low millage 05 prius about a month ago. Drove the car and inspected it and everything looked really clean.

About 2 weeks into ownership I got a check engine light. That prompted me to get a mini VCI cable and look into it. (I DIY pretty much everything I can)

So I finally got it running on my laptop today and I got a slew of error codes. I need some help determining what to do from here. My plan was to clear them and drive it and see what comes back as several of them seem to be historical.

however could someone look it over and see if there is something that is critical?

Hybrid control:
    P0A0F
    B2799

Engine and ECT:
    P0171
    P0456
    P3193

Abs/vsc/trc:
    C1241

EMPS:
    U0121

Air conditioner:
    B1421

SRS airbag:
    B1653
    B1655
    B1821

Thanks for getting help everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. It is reasonable to clear the DTC and see what current codes come back.
    2. What is the accident history of the car? The DTC logged by the SRS ECU implies the driver's side side airbag may have been triggered. The DTC should have been cleared during the repair process.
    3. What warning lights are on besides the check engine light? For example, is the SRS warning light on (which is the icon of a person with a circle in front <the circle is supposed to be the airbag>)? How about the ABS/VSC/BRAKE lights?
    4. P0456 implies the fuel system has a small leak.
    5. C1241 means the skid control ECU is reporting low battery voltage. What is the condition of the 12V battery? Check the voltage after the car has been resting overnight.
    6. What driveability symptoms does the car have? What fuel economy results are you getting?
    7. If DTC P0171 comes back, that is logged by the engine ECU which means the air/fuel mixture is too lean. Look for a problem in the engine air induction system such as a missing or loose PCV hose or engine oil cap, a leak in the throttle body, or a cracked intake manifold. Especially if the car was in a front-end accident there may have been unrepaired damage to the engine.
    8. If there is no obvious damage to the intake manifold and throttle body, clean the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body interior and throttle plate and see if that helps. Use the correct MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body cleaner, do not drown the throttle body in cleaner fluid.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. Lurch632

Lurch632 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The car had a clean carfax and I can't see any indications of previous damage that would have gone unreported.

No other dash lights other than check engine. Came up after a full throttle run up to highway speeds to get in front of a semi.

I've checked the fuel cap and visually inspected the engine bay but am not super familiar. I will try to look up a diagram and investigate further.

I will check the battery. Looos like that could be cause of a couple of the codes.

The car seems to have a small miss at idle when at a light or something before the engine shuts off. Haven't had an oprtunity to troubleshoot. I'll start with inspecting plugs and what not. Millage has been 47-50mpg. The cars gas guage does seem to be pretty far off. It tells me to add fuel after 300-350miles when I'm getting that mileage and a 10gal tank. That may have caused the "run out of gas" code. (I never ran out of gas but did drive to 450miles.)

Will report back on the battery test and what codes pop back up.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has an 11.9 US gallon tank per specifications. However the tank contains a flexible bladder. You should assume the actual capacity is more like 9 gallons especially in cold weather, and refuel no later than when the gauge drops down to two bars. Unless you like the drama associated with an out of fuel situation which is stressful to the traction battery.