1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner Key Fob Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WheatStalker, Dec 6, 2022.

1. WheatStalker

WheatStalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New guy here. Got a 2007. It only came with one beat up fob. It works but would like to get an extra one soon. Couple questions. I have to pull my key out of the insertion port to start it up and leave it in the console. Unfortunately I have no Prius friends yet and YouTube is where I learn everything about the Prius. I've noticed only in one video a guy leaving his out of the port to start and continue. All others I've watched leave it in the port. Mine won't start leaving it in the port. I believe I have the SKS system. It has the black buttons outside the door. Bought a new key fob (smart) and tried to program it using the chicken method but no joy. The guy who did the tutorial his key fob was in the insertion port so I'm thinking that's a reason mine being out, his being in was the reason for my failure. Any insight or direction to go next , greatly appreciated.

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you have the silver Toyota logo on the back of the working fob?
    If So you have SKS. Along look under the steering wheel for a black reset button. You can also run the VIN number and pull
    Up the specs.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not actually a reset button, unlike the TPMS next to it, it is an SKS disable switch. Press it to the "in" position to disable the SKS; press again to toggle it to the "out" position to not disable (enable) the SKS.

ColoradoCrow likes this.