1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rfcviper, Nov 18, 2013.

1. rfcviper

rfcviper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone!

I'm happy to say I am the owner of a brand new 2013 Prius II in Blizzard Pearl. So far, I've been able to get 56.3mpg out of it on my 26 mile drive to work (75% highway, 25% city). I'm working on topping that shortly. I had a few questions about the 3rd generation Prii that I'd like to ask.

1. The seats in my car are very light gray. I have 3 boys. Where can I find the best seat covers?

2. Does PriusHoods still make the armrest covers for the 3rd gen? It is very uncomfortable and I'd like to put something else on there.

3. Will upgrading to a K&N air filter net me any gain in miles per gallon?

4. Any cheap upgrades I can do to increase gas mileage? I am already working on the way I drive and pulsing to keep it in EV/ECO mode when I can, but I'd like more tips/mods I can do to it to increase it further. I've always been able to get better mileage than EPA by about 3-4 in every vehicle I have driven, so this is very exciting to me.

Thanks ahead of time for any help! I really appreciate it!

Burna J likes this.
  2. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi! Welcome!

1. Clazzio
    2. Not showing on their website for 2012/13. Might email them to be certain.
    3. No, not really, plus there are other concerns..
    4. Inflate tires to 38-40 psi. Consider grill blocking.

All are discussed here. A quick search will net you further details on each... :cool:

JimboPalmer likes this.
  3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Front PSI 40 Rear PSI 38 for better control.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tire type, tire pressures and driving habits are the only real things that will make a difference in your mpg. Don't get caught up with bolt-ons. Aside from that...know that temperature, humidity and barometric pressure have more effect on the Prius than other cars, but you still get the best mpg in the US...not counting EVs and Plug-ins...where the cost per mile math becomes more subjective and commute dependent. By the way I use 42 front...40 rear.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tires 42 front 4O rear ... Yes grill blocking a must in winter
    Congratulates on your new ride

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As to seat and arm rest covers, I would do a leather upgrade...not softex. Do not know where you are, but Toyota Gulf States Region still has them I believe. Did my front/back seats, rear side panels, door panels and center arm rests with seat heaters for $1,500 through a local installer.

8. rfcviper

rfcviper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all of the great information! I am going to definitely look into grill blocking. I drive with a very steady foot and I've been getting above 50mpg consistently. I only have 1 drive below (45.6mph), but I'm in Illinois and I was fighting a 20-30mph headwind all the way home. I'm running factory tires (new car) at 38psi currently. I will bump them up to 42 and 40 asap. I'm already looking into my replacement tires when the time comes and I'll be going with some LRR options, I'm sure.

As far as tires go, is warranty or treadwear rating more important? Not knowing a whole lot about tires, I believe that warranty should directly correlate to the treadwear rating, i.e. a tire with a treadwear rating of 640 should last longer than a tire rated at 300. Is that correct?

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would stick with the factory tires unless you are looking for winter traction or better performance. You aren't going to find alternatives that get significantly better mileage, and certainly nothing that will recoup the cost of buying and mounting a new set of tires.

In general, a higher treadwear value equates to longer tread life, but there is no standard, so the numbers cannot be compared across brands other than in very general terms.

10. LarryEd

LarryEd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought new tires at 43,000 miles to stop rumbling noise. It worked. Dealer recommended rotating every 5000 miles. I am crossing and moving the rear tires to the front. The front tires moved to same side rear.

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3. No a big waste of money and maybe extra wear and tear on the motor.
    4. I think Toyota has done everything they can, you can grill block but need to be carefull. Over inflating the tires will help but will cause the car to handle different, and cause more wear and tear on the car with a harsher ride.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. rfcviper

rfcviper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the information! I wasn't actually going to replace my tires until they are worn, but I was looking for information before I need to replace them. I appreciate all the advice. I will look into partial grill blocking. In Illinois. the winters can be harsh.

14. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    2. Toyota Prius 2010-2011 Center Console Cover

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Grill block: 50% of the lower from ambient temps 60F to 40F, and 100% below that. Personally I leave the upper grill open all the time, but if it's really cold consider blocking 50% of the upper. Never block the upper 100%.

Block heater: have it, use it year round. 2 hours will get things as warm as it's going to get. Maybe a little longer if super cold. Be ready for a price shock if the dealership puts it in...

Tires: yes, raise them. I do 40~45 psi with our 15" snow tires, 38~40 psi with our low profile 17".

Generally:

Obey the speed limits. As long as there's no one on your tail, you're under no obligation to tear up to the limit, especially if there's a slow down or intersection looming.

Consolidate trips.

Use the HSI display and a light touch, to nudge the car into electric mode when possible, as long as it's not eating to far into the battery capacity, say 1/2 charge as a limit. Pretty much any time the engine's warmed, as long as you keep the HSI bar to the left of centre, you will stay electric-only.

Look ahead, coast to lights. The less you can use your brakes the better.