1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner question about air conditioner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ulrika, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got a 2012 if is blue with 13000 miles on it ( I will post pics soon) I have noticed that when I blast the air conditioner the battery drops from almost full to 2 bars only . I am in Texas and it is very hot right now. I know this might be a stupid question but can the battery go dead when I am driving by blasting the air conditioner.? I don't drive that many miles right now . Otherwise I love my prius . The handling is great and I love the seats even though I have read that some people find them uncomfortable. I have. 2012 111 prius.

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have the solar roof package?

3. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The gas engine (ICE) will turn on at 2 bars if it isn't already running, to recharge the big hybrid battery. The bars you see only show the amount of charge in the big battery, not the little 12 volt battery that gets used to boot up the car and get it into ready mode.

The air conditioner in the Prius uses electricity from the big battery, and when it is hot and you are really blasting it to cope, or cool down quickly on a hot day, it will draw more electricity if it needs it. The car understands and will not let it go dead... it will keep it above 2 bars and normally only up to 6 or 7, depending.... it likes to leave a little room to be able to store extra power if you have a long hill and just press on the brake pedal lightly so that you are regenerating power rather than simply wearing down your disk brakes.

It is all automatic, and besides keeping you more comfortable, using the air conditioner will help keep that big battery in the back of the car cooler too, which is good for it's lifespan.

Roland

4. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

5. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you .Roland . I feels stupid asking such a question but since this is my first hybrid car I just wanred to be on the safe side

6. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No I don't no Winfred either 2012 111 backup camera and navigation and entune....

7. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not a stupid question at all. Your Prius has a lot of stuff going for it that is different from other cars that you may have owned. It is a beautifully designed machine and I think you will find many pleasant surprises going forward as you come to understand better all the little things it does all by itself to make it more efficient than most vehicles on the road.

It is perfectly normal, especially in very bad traffic in the summer with the a/c running to have your state of charge (soc) drop to 2 bars... your gas mileage goes down in those conditions as the gas engine will turn on and off to keep your charge up.... but if you are not covering any miles... then your miles per gallon will suffer of course. All cars will suffer in that position, but unlike theirs... your engine will only be on for a fraction of the time... less wear, less fuel, less pollution, all good.

In lighter traffic your car will recharge as it coasts or slows down and even drive solely on electricity if you keep your pedal pressure light and enjoy.

Try your display button on the steering wheel to select the little picture of the car with turning wheels and the arrows pointing to where the energy goes... see how pedal pressure changes the direction of things... in time you will likely not use that energy display as much as the bar that has the graph moving from left to right... I'll shut up now, since by the time you read this you are already likely an expert on these things.

Roland

8. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

9. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes Roland is have only owned the prius for 3 weeks . Previously I owned a Mazda miata and a beetle . I haven't began to explore the touchscreen yet, the only thing I have done is paired my iPhone with my prius . Right now I am getting used to the steering and breaking and just getting used to the car . I am glad I found this forum . I have noticed though that many trucks choose to go around me ! Lol

10. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Let them go around you... in fact move over when you can to make it easier for them to pass and trip the red light ahead in the distance to become green before you get there and save more fuel by not having to stop.

If you did not get a manual with your car, search the forum, or use google... you should be able to locate a pdf version of it.

Welcome, and enjoy your new car in good health.

Roland

Ulrika likes this.
  11. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed with the breaking fast that it consumes more fuel. I have just now started to learn the prius breaking way . I noticed when I put my groceries in the passenger seat car thinks that there is someone there and the seatbelt sign will start to beep. The prius breaks feel a lot different from the miata and beetle I had before

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The motor does most of the braking 'til about 7mph, then the service brakes take over.

13. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do have a Manuel . Thank you Roland . It is 600 pages I think ......:)

14. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    El Dobro I thought the breaks felt different on a prius that explains it . It feels more airy to break if that makes any sense

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the regenerative braking working, it's adding juice back to the battery.

Ulrika likes this.
  16. Ulrika

Ulrika New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes el dobro I did notice that the battery charges when driving downhill :)

17. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to add a tip,, if your HV battery is getting low the car will always start the ICE to charge it back up and there is nothing to worry about. Unless you have the car shifted to N then it will give you a warning saying to shift to park or something like that because the car can't charge the HV battery in N. So if you left the car in N you could hurt the HV battery but like most people you should never shift to N.

Ulrika likes this.
  18. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius has plenty of kick to it if you want to use it. I myself don't, but other Prius-ites certainly do judging from this forum. So you can keep trucks at bay if you want to.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just so you know why the battery dropped in charge, it's because the A/C unit in the Prius does not run off the engine like a regular car (with a serpentine belt). The A/C is run off the hybrid battery instead so that the engine can stay off at a traffic light while the A/C continues to keep you cool.

Of course if the battery state of charge (SOC) is low, the engine will come on to recharge the battery so you may end up idling. You may try different ways to reduce the heat load in the car such as using a sunshade while parked and tinting the windows. Using ECO mode will help reduce the electricity consumption of the A/C compressor but note that it will also take longer for the interior to cool down because of it.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do all you can to keep the cabin cool. If the car lives outside get a Heatshield Windowshade. They sell them here at the Prius shop custom fit to
    fit your car. I got one. Not only will it cool the car down but the Hybrid Battery life will be greatly extended if you do not let the cabin temps get really hot. High heat is very bad for the Hybrid battery and all the ECU's in the cabin. Plus it will save gas not running the ac so hard. I don't let my car sit outside for more than a few minute's before I put the shade up.

Also Be aware alot of times buying a used Prius means the little 12 volt battery used to boot the car may have gone dead sitting on the lot (does not take long) and may have been jumped a time or two. Which is very hard on that little 12 and severely shortens its life.
    If possible get a digital volt meter and check the 12 volt battery voltage on the front jump points under the hood.
    push the start button twice without putting your foot on the brake and that will be ignition mode and will put a load on the 12, measure the 12 in that mode and you will be able to see its real health.