1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner question about HV battery fan direction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Unirambler, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I am a new owner of a 2006 Prius. It has some battery performance issues, so I have installed a Prolong battery charger and it is charging for the first time as I type this.

However, my question is that I went to listen to the HV fan at the vent in the back seat to make sure it is running. It is, which is good. However, when I got closer, I can feel air coming out of the vent. I thought that vent was the intake? Am I wrong or is it running the wrong way?

Thanks for any help you all can give!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which vent are you referring to: the one along the passenger right seat, or above the hv battery?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That fan cannot run the wrong way. When that fan is blowing full speed, there should be a lot of air. Imagine the AC blasting out of the vents

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Going by feel isn't all that reliable of a way to judge air direction. Hang some tissue in front of the vent by the back seat. It should pull the tissue toward itself rather than blow it away.

Also, I seem to remember that when the car is apart for installing the charger cable, you can see the flap on the air discharge port near the 12v battery and it should be getting blown open.

JC91006 likes this.
  5. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all for your responses.

@Raytheeagle I am talking about the vent along the passenger right seat. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

@jerrymildred Hmm. Good points. I didn't notice this until it was back together, so I can't see the flap now. I will pull it apart again to see that if I am more confused after further testing.

As for the tissue test, I will do that the next time I connect the charger, probably Sunday since I am taking my son to a soccer tournament in about an hour and won't get back till tomorrow evening. The car is not on the road yet, so I am not driving it enough for the fan to run when I am not charging it. However, there was a substantial amount of air coming out of it, so I will be surprised if it pulls the tissue to itself. Hopefully I am wrong about that. :)

Thanks all!

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the possibility of the motor running backwards, it depends on the motor. If it's brushless, and I think it is, then it can't run backwards. However, since you have to cut and splice the wires to the motor, it can malfunction if it's backwards. In fact, my Prolong was one of the earliest models and there was an error in the wiring instructions to the fan controller box. The polarity was wrong on the wires from the charger cable to the box. It seemed to work but then would throw codes and light the big, red triangle. Pretty scary till Jeff sorted it out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The later models of the harness are plug and play with no wire splicing:).

Makes the install easy(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NICE!! Big time saver.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, you all were correct. When I did the tissue test, it was running as it should. I don't know how my hand got so mis-calibrated! :rolleyes:

Now, to deal with the other things on the car..... one of which is that the previous owner had the engine replaced about 6 months ago (not sure why, but they didn't treat the car too well, as I am finding out) and the mechanic filled up the radiator with the green coolant :(:(. The inverter has the proper pink stuff. So, I am going to drain the radiator coolant. Once it is drained, put in straight water to mostly fill it up and then drain it again and then fill with the proper coolant. Sound like a good plan or do I need to do anything else to make sure that the green coolant has been totally removed?

Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it as a total noob to hybrids! :)

10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Know when you do the engine coolant loop, it will take some effort ;).

The CHRS thermos will also have to be drained and filled:(.

And it takes forever to get the loop completely topped up. Once you think you have it done, I’d check each morning on the radiator cap to ensure it’s topped up;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flush it with distilled water

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Raytheeagle Does the CHRS thermos drain automatically when the system is drained or does that require running the pump to pump it out? I watched a few videos on Youtube that seemed pretty in-depth, but they weren't needing to flush it, just drain and refill.

13. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The thermos is pretty cool there is a valve that opens and a pump that fills it with hot coolant, then on cold start the valve sends warm fluid into the engine. Draining it with the little valve under it will get rid of the yellow antifreeze in it, though it will get to be filled and the bubbles worked out of the system on the first few drives so keep levels topped up and checked for the first week until everything stabilizes

iPhone ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Paul Schenck Thanks! Hopefully I can take care of this on the weekend, when I have a longer time to work at it. :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is what I know, the Prius antifreeze has a sealant in it that turns white when exposed to air, pretty nice because it seals leaks, but when mixed with regular yellow antifreeze it makes a sludge that can do bad things, like clog drainage ports, reduce radiator efficiency, causing overheating. I would drain it, flush it, drain it, fill it, run it a week and repeat. To be sure I had nice clean pink circulating everywhere.

iPhone ?

16. Unirambler

Unirambler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm. Flushing it twice sounds like a good idea. But buying double the amount of anti-freeze from Toyota is more than I was looking at since I have other things I need to do on the car.

I found this on the Walmart site - Valvoline Asian Vehicle Antifreeze, Ready To Use, 1 Gallon - Walmart.com. It says it is for the Toyotas and is only $13/gal. Do you all think that it would be ok to flush it the first time, fill it with this stuff for the week and then re-flush it and fill it with the proper stuff from Toyota?

Thanks!

17. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pep boys is also carrying the Toyota coolant!
    Both in the concentrate and the 50/50 mix.
    I just don’t know how effective you’ll be flushing the thermos so I felt you’d be safest changing it. Measure what you drain out of the thermos before and after the flush. That should tell you it’s been rinsed and won’t pollute your new antifreeze with the old.

iPhone ?