1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner - Question on P3009/P3000

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by P3009, Mar 14, 2013.

1. P3009

P3009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Earlier this week, I purchased a 2002 Toyota Prius from a State of California Fleet Auction.

I needed a new commuter car and this Prius fit the bill.

The car was purchased from the "non-working/running" section of the auction. I heard several men saying the cars are almost always in that lot due to a bad battery.

I did plenty of research and I thought there was no reason for the car to be in the lot. It only has 78,000 miles, so it was likely not the ["big"] battery.

So I bought the car. The [small] battery was indeed dead. I bought a new battery and drove it home (~ 30 miles). Before even driving it, I checked for codes and none were present. The car drove fine aside from it needing an alignment.

When I got home, I started doing more research. I came across the toyota.com/owners site and signed up. Once there, I found this:
    The record shows it was taken to the dealership ~ 300 miles before I bought it. I doubt they fixed the issue.

My main question is, if the issue is still present, how long would it take to bring up the code? In other words, if the issue was still present, would the code have already came on (after driving it about thirty miles)?

I have a code scanner and already did this test. Nothing came up.
    Thanks for any help!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

An intermittent problem by its very nature can not be predicted but will return following Murphy's Law . . . at a time most expensive or inconvenient. Past reports suggest a small, electrolyte leak of the KOH from one or more modules can respond to high-humidity conditions and induce the P3009. So you have options:
    1. Clear and run until it fails hard - sad to say, there have been a few, two that I know of, traction battery shorts that turned into fires. Because of the fires, no knows if the P3009, a resistance path to ground, was part of the mechanism. Also, over time it can lead to unbalanced modules and a different code. (Cheap and fast.)
    2. Inspect and/or clean traction battery - it weights about 90 lbs and you need a work bench. Order replacement buss bars; pull the traction battery; remove cover and inspect; remove old buss bars and clean modules; equalize charge; install new buss bars (unless you want to try an clean old ones without breaking the voltage sense wires or repairing); put cover back on carefully, and; reinstall traction battery. (Good and cheap.)
    3. Upgrade battery - using known, high reputation battery rebuilders who match improved modules from salvaged 2004+ Prius and swap pack. (Fast and good.)
    Good, fast, cheap: pick two.

Good luck!
    Bob Wilson

P3009, usnavystgc and cwerdna like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest you scan the stickies but at a minimum:
    • Plan on a Prius aware scanner - they come in various price and capabilities but at a minimum, you need to read the big three ECUs: engine, hybrid vehicle, and battery. Not only the EPA mandated primary codes but the sub-codes of the hybrid vehicle electronic control unit (HV ECU). The battery ECU provides the 19 module voltages which is key if you are going to look at the real health. The four battery temperatures will also help you learn how to drive the car to maximize remaining life . . . heat is the enemy!
    • Plan on a shop manual - available new, used, or by subscription, there are three primary or four volumes if you include the body manual:
      1. Volume 1 - diagnostic
      2. Volume 2 - repair
      3. Schematics - tracing wire
      4. Body (?) - for accident repair, often has better parts callout
    The folks here are pretty clever and you'll find a lot of good, solid advice. But it helps if you'll visit from time-to-time and share your progress.

I never considered cars very interesting but the Prius is 'a thinking mans' car and it has become a 'hobby.' No, I don't have any interest in going to car shows but I've put nearly 10,000 miles on our 2003 Prius to learn more and the hours . . . it is a hobby.

Welcome to the Prius Car Club!

Bob Wilson

P3009 likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    bwilson4web likes this.
  5. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i'm on my 22nd or 23rd gen. 1 prius. all of which have been state owned and purchased from auctions here in the north-east (...and yes, very harsh winters here) i only buy cars with mileage under 75k. one of things i always PLAN on is that the car WILL need a rebuilt or salvage HV Battery. (however, i've had some good hv batteries as well) after purchasing HV Batteries from salvage yards for $800-1000 i've learned to rebuild w/ gen. 2 modules and it costs me $200-400 after i sell my left over parts.

98% of the time after i install the re-built battery, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, the car runs and drives fine with no codes. i've never had one customer call me back complaining that their HV Battery died or that they experience any issues. (2 times someone called because the valve on top of the catalytic convertor was frozen, a $20.00 fix)

for the other 2% of the time well... i finally got one last week with a p3120 code (transaxle malfunction) and boy how i wish it was an HV Battery failure. yikes!

OVERALL i think GEN. 1's are GOOD CARS. i'm still driving my 01' w/ 65k miles with a rebuild battery with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I must be one of the biggest proponents of Gen I's. I love my Gen I (a green 2001 w/ 117k on the original battery).

Here's my advice to the OP:
    Take Bob's advise and select option 1 (for now) until you get a hard, consistent fault. In the meantime, set up a plan that accounts for the day that this will happen.