1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner - ran out of gas!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pwalta, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 5 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]507320[/snapback]</div>
    That's why I refuse to drive a Prius during thunderstorms. The risk of electrocution is just too high. :unsure:

Instead I just open up my umbrella and walk to my destination trying to stay under trees as much as possible to avoid getting wet. I figure there is a much lower risk of getting hit by lightning or having a large heavy branch break off and fall on me than getting electrocuted by that vehicle that was probably designed for dry climates. :(

Ok, I suppose my sarcasm is a bit extreem. I'll try to dial it back a bit in the future. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Sep 5 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]507432[/snapback]</div>
    I'd trust the MFD more than I would calculations from any single tank. There is just too much variability in the amount of fuel added to the tank from one fill up to the next. The amount of fuel you add to the tank doesn't necessarily tell you how much you've used since your last fill-up. The filler may have clicked off a little earlier or later last time than this time. The bladder may have expanded or contracted a bit. The car may be on a bit more or less of an incline. The calibration of one pump or the other might be slightly off. Over a large number of tanks, these variations tend to have a much smaller influence on the calculated MPG, but for any individual tank, the MFD is probably more accurate than your calculations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter7307 @ Sep 5 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]507655[/snapback]</div>
    Why would any such particles be any less likely to be sucked up with a full tank than a nearly empty one? I don't think the fuel intake floats on top of the fuel, does it?

Even if these particles do eventually get "sucked up", won't the fuel filter trap them?

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Sep 6 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]507985[/snapback]</div>
    Well... I'd expect there'd be a little bit of difference from rain falling from the sky in a rainstorm, vs. submerging the vehicle into a pool water... but I'm probably mistaken... :rolleyes: