1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner, some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bitterbuffaloh, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Bitterbuffaloh

Bitterbuffaloh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My almost 30 year old 300k mile Volvo 240 is a bit old in the tooth right now. It runs great actually (Just took it on a 30 hour road trip), but it's now on good weather duty and a 2007 Prius w/ 130k miles is its replacement. I just had some quick questions -

Car seats, was thinking of just biting the bullet and getting wet okole front covers. Since my last car the car outlasted the vinyl on the seats.

The trim on the back of the car where the trunk button is loose. It will fall off if I press the hatch button, the whole thing. Is this common? I guess I can JBweld the spots that are broken..

Also trim on the hatch, not sure how to explain this, it's sot of my spoiler, color of car. That is really rough from the sun, already oxidized. Can I take this off and just plasti dip it black or something?

One of my door handles paint is very flakey, looks like almost a paint peeler got on it. Any easy way to repaint the door handle or replace?

Steering wheel is already peeling, I don't like the leather stitched wheel covers. Any other good option?

2. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius does have a problem with hard seats. One option could be to use Clazzio seat covers with a foam insert. (Polyurethane or memory foam)

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rear door handle is actually rear door garnish. Here’s some info on how to repair it Options for Broken Rear Garnish Fasteners? | PriusChat Of course you can just replace it if you find the used one with same color that’s not broken. But if it looks good I would just fix the old one.

Rear spoiler can be removed How to remove/replace spoiler | PriusChat But if you’re just plasti dipping it black then why not just do it on the car? If you decide to take it off then be careful and maybe replace some clips to make sure that spoiler gets fitted back tight and watertight.

Replacing the door handle is easier option if you can get a good used one with the same color. If you decide to paint it then sand the old paint away completely, use good primer and many layers of good clear.

Why not just get good used steering wheel?

Bitterbuffaloh and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! all the best with your project!(y)

Bitterbuffaloh likes this.
  5. Bitterbuffaloh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Local place wants 250$ to remove, paint, and reinstall spoiler. Decent price

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds good!(y)

7. Bitterbuffaloh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking the back door handles off isn't too hard? Just a bit worried about a ham fisted installer taking it off, should be fine though? My passenger side door handle is way peeling and the drivers side is sort of beginning, just figured I'd do the driver sides too while I'm at it.