1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner. This is going to take some getting used to.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by howiehandles, Aug 1, 2013.

1. howiehandles

howiehandles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Driving this car is really a wake up call. I know why I bought it, sick of paying for SUV at the pump. I almost feel as thought driving this car now is a retraining of sorts of how I should drive. As some sort of penance for past driving sins. I'm not complaining about it, but it's like training an old dog new tricks. The Prius is definitely making me more patient in traffic.

terry brecheen likes this.
  2. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New Prius owner. Took some time to retrain how to drive but it has made driving more relaxing. Taking my time to get up to speed. In town, I still get stuck behind slow people so causing a long line behind me is no issue. The big thing I have found is when I got into my 2001 chevy truck and gave it the gas, I felt like I was on a drag strip. Gas peddle was more reactive to foot pressure and brakes were touchy. About knocked my son out with power take off and slamming on brakes. Also when I got into my wife's camry, I had to remimber how to put a key into the ignition and shift the car. Plus remembering to push the button on remote to lock and unlock car. Now I just need a key card for my house door so I can just wave the card and unlock the door. I love the high end options on a good priced car Prius 3.

3. abistro

abistro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I agree with all of the above, but I find it hard to keep it under 65 here on the DC beltway. LOL, 65 is the right lane which you'd have to deal with merging traffics.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though some people will disagree based on the less consumption is better mantra, I actually think that is a good idea.

I myself have been casually just keeping my eye's open for a good used truck deal. I think a truck, used as a 2nd vehicle and for utility is a nice pairing with a Prius for "Almost Everything Else". So if you can afford it? I think a truck as a back-up, utility vehicle is a good idea.

I also agree with about Dodge. My friend owns a Dodge Diesel Pick-Up, and it looks like the toughest thing on the road. Unfortunately, since he bought it, it has been one nagging break down after another, after another...I don't know how much money he has poured into keeping it going. And it's not real old.

He's the "Anti-Prius" type...even though I think I'm starting to convince him. But in recent years, he's gotten pretty quiet about it all. Hard to defend "Dodge Tough" when the Dodge is in the shop every 2 months.

Meanwhile I had 3 bullet proof maintenance years with my Honda Fit, and hope and expect to have several very reliable years with my Prius.

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    since your used to a truck, remove the rear view mirror, opens up the front windshield, no need to see 2 feet off your rear bumper, use the side mirrors like in the truck. Also pay attention to the left and right front roof supports, these are the worst place items, they block views of crosswalks and side street stop signs. Just drive the car, no matter what you will have better mileage than the truck. I came from a 2001 F-150 4 door. I miss the bench seat and looking down at cars.

6. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also went from a V8 SUV to a Prius (in 2010) and though I miss a lot of things from that truck, I'll never miss the gas bill. 9 gallon fillups really take the sting out regular gas price fluctuations as well.