1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner, trans problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Entropy4All, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Entropy4All

Entropy4All Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I just bought a beater 2008. The HV battery is shot, but it was at least driveable in a fairly normal sense on the first day that I drove it. Today, it was significantly warmer outside and as I was trying to drive it to get it registered, something went out with a small bang. Now I can somewhat drive it to about 30mph on flat roads. Anything that requires more throttle, such as going faster or uphill and the ICE just spools up while the car slows down.

Read some various things about possibly MG1 or inverter type issues. Previous owner said that the inverter cooling pump was bad, but I only saw battery related codes when I ran a scan.

I ordered a replacement HV battery before this problem occurred, but it is not in yet.

Where's the best place to start as far as the diagnosing is concerned?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

What scanner were you using?

Was it Techstream as that picks up hybrid specific codes like the one the previous owner mentioned;).

So if a generic one, is start with the right diagnostic tool and go from there:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  3. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update for yesterday. So, it drove to work in the morning fine. Went into limp mode in the mid afternoon when I was driving it to and from the DMV. Then it worked again for almost all of the drive home from work that night. So, it would seem like the ambient temperature is a factor (or a coincidence). Which would explain why it drove fine for over an hour when I was driving it home the day that I bought it. I just received a replacement inverter coolant pump, so I'll probably put that in regardless of whether it is the problem. Couldn't hurt for a vehicle that has 160k miles.

When the problem occurred I was bummed, it felt like a typical automatic transmission failure I have experienced on other vehicles. Then I read about the planetary gears and split drive thing and was relieved. It would seem that if one of the driven elements of the planetary is not providing a load then the engine can't effectively drive the other. If my speculation is right, this is similar to a single tire spinning on a two wheel drive non-LSD differential setup.

The scanner I have is the OBDlink MX currently using it with the torque app. Somebody on this board said it was pretty decent. Although I realize that it won't have all the functionality of a more purpose built scanner, I thought it would be useful for my other cars as well. I don't mind buying the mini-VCI too if that proves necessary. However, it was unclear whether it came with software or if I would need to search the bowels of the internet for some dodgy download. I mean, the battery codes the OBDlink pulled are hybrid codes, but that's probably not exactly what you mean.

4. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I replaced the inverter coolant pump which didn't improve anything, as I suspected it wouldn't. HV battery should be in this week, we'll see if that helps.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what codes did you pull? the small bang is disconcerting.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The codes I pulled so far are P0a80 and P3023.

I might be an exaggeration to call it a bang. I was in the middle of accelerating when it entered the hobbled state. Maybe more of a thud, hopefully just some backlash similar to letting off the gas in a manual transmission car. Hopefully, I'll know more soon

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery is your problem. It causes symptoms similar to a 'slipping' transmission in a normal car. Your best option, if possible, is to not continue driving the car until you fix the HV battery issue. The next bang you hear may be the tops blowing off a few modules.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Torque Pro comes preloaded with ability to access HV battery data.
    You just need to activate via the settings (add extra pics/sensors)

Once activated, you will see the HV options in the drop down when adding displays.

If you set up the screen so you can see HV battery block data it will be very obvious that the pack is compromised.

You might want to stop driving it now before you do more damage.

#8 ericbecky, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I haven't been driving it since the DMV day. HV battery should arrive today. I'll take a look at adding those displays to Torque, thanks for the tip

10. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got a chance to finish up the HV battery swap this weekend. Seems to be driving fine at the moment. Now, onto the other problems...

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)