1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner Uh Ohs

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by honeyberer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. honeyberer

honeyberer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a used 2006 Toyota Prius a few days ago. I'm learning quickly that while I love the car, I certainly think I should have had someone (maybe a dealership) check it out first. **I have never owned a Prius or hybrid car before, this is ENTIRELY new territory for me!

Blue #2 is her name (Blue #1 was my 2002 Camry) and I purchased her with 132k miles and two previous owners. My main concerns right now are the dreaded dashboard lights. In the three days that I have had it, twice it has started but no dash lights or indicators come up. After a quick youtube search I learned how to pull the battery in the back trunk area for 30sec and that seems to work so far. I'm wondering if anyone has also had this issue and how often it happens to you on average? Will I be constantly pulling the battery every other time I have to go somewhere?

Second concern is this morning when it happened to me again and I had to pull the battery and plug it back in, the car started and dash lights came on however the power button was orange and would not shift into anything but neutral. My newbie solution was to quick shut it off and pretend it didn't happen then turn it back on again. Everything seems to be fine after that but could anyone tell me why the button was orange?

A little nervous! Did I buy a lemon? Huge mistake? Money pit? Any advice helps.

SIDE NOTE: I bought the car from a used dealership. All warranties on the car have expired with the exception of the dealers "if the car doesn't start in the next 25 days we will fix it" warranty.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be nice to allay your fears, but unfortunately it sounds like one or more issues going on. Disconnecting the 12 volt to reset is not going to get you anywhere. I would stop doing that (so codes are not lost), and get it into the dealership asap.

HVAC and RCO like this.
  3. honeyberer

honeyberer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the advice!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a small correction that contains an ample warning. In the above comment the helpful poster, Mendel, misspelled a word. It is STEALERSHIP not dealership. When spelled correctly this word conveys the widely known reality that you must be very cautious when having your car serviced or diagnosed. You may want to find an independent hybrid repair expert instead. :) There seem to be a few in the Phoenix area according to Mr. G.

HVAC, honeyberer, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For most routine maintenance, Dealership prices will be near and in some cases, lower than Indy shops. Major repairs are often where significant prices differences lie and how Dealerships can earn the title of a Stealership.

It is important to ferret out QUALITY repair shops, be they at a Dealer or an Independent garage, people get HOSED by both and from me experience, lose more money at Indy shops than dealers on unnecessary or over priced services.

My advice: Find a shop that is VERY familiar with hybrids, get and CHECK their references, then evaluate your symptoms.

RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! before going to too much trouble, learn how to test your 12v battery. if that isn't the problem, you're going to have to have the codes read. best to take it to a dealership, at least for the code reading, unless you find a really good prius shop. all the best!(y)

HVAC, AzWxGuy and RCO like this.
  7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    +1 ^^ to Bisco. That little 12V is often the root of seemingly more complex problems. And a very easy and not too expensive solution.

8. Tia Deb

Tia Deb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check you state and local Lemon Laws or an attorney QUICKLY. This may fall under 'safety issues'.

9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lemon laws apply to the sale of new cars. There is no law that protects the buyer of a used car, to my knowledge. And that goes for used cars purchased from stealerships. Any warranty that might be in place related even to safety and "fit for use" is typically removed by the dealer in their contract. The consumer is left with either nothing or an often questionable "extended service plan," which in reality is an insurance policy with very clear limitations and exclusions. That's why, whenever possible, I buy a new car.

Learned my lessons and have the scars to prove it with respect to used cars. And I am not ignorant with respect to mechanics and working on vehicles.

05PreeUs and RCO like this.
  10. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WR, you are correct. There are some *very limited* exceptions, in a *very few states* that offer protection for purchasers of used vehicles, but the burden of proof is quite high for the consumer in those cases. Basically, as I understand it, the selling DEALER had to KNOW there was a defect and hide it from the purchaser. I am not offering legal advice, only my very limited experience.

RCO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in any event, it's hard to act 'quickly' when a post is 5 months old.:rolleyes:

RCO and William Redoubt like this.