1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner - what mods should I do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JDB, May 31, 2013.

1. JDB

JDB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forums here, just bought my 2013 Prius 2 (winter grey). I've been working on my older cars recently in changing fluids/coolant/brakes, so would consider myself as hands on but still learning. Obviously it will be a while till I will actually be doing any fluid changes or maintenance to the car, so in the meantime to satisfy my itch, got me thinking of what I can do to my new car.

Been browsing the forum and saw grill blocking as something easy to once fall/winter rolls around here (I live in NJ). So I'd like to learn from your experiences - what simple mods should I consider doing? Looking for things that can help improve MPG, keep the car in good shape longer. I consider myself a learning DIY so something I can do and not too complex.

TIA for your advice!

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #1 Protect your investment
    -Learn to wash your car properly with the two-bucket method​
    -Give your car a good detail with quality products to maintain the appearance​
    -Buy and install Husky Liners to protect the floor​
    #2 Adjust your tire inflation up to the level of your comfort. Maintain 2PSI difference front to rear (higher in front).

After that, it really depends on which deficiencies you want to correct (handling, appearance, noise, sound system, etc)

SoCal65SS and Dawit like this.
  3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forgot - Welcome to the club!

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) The good thing about the Prius, forget performance mods. I've always preferred appearance mods. Number one mod for me on my Prius was a wheel & tire upgrade to 17". Hated the tiny, 15" wheel look. Fuel mileage on the Prius is so good, I'm not worried about losing a few MPG. I've added 5mm rear spacers, plusing third brake light module, interior LED lights, window tint, and lowered the front license plate. Would like the aftermarket mirror covers with courtesy and turn signal lights. For me, not worth the extensive disassemble for installing, so I'll pass. Nothing else on my list as of now. Good luck with yours.

5. SoCal65SS

SoCal65SS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JDB and WE0H like this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Horn upgrade is a must. The wimpy factory installed horns in the Prius is an absolute joke.

A link to the horn upgrade is in my signature below.

mrstop likes this.
  7. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You should install 3M clear bra. That's the first thing I did when I bought my prius in 2010. The front bumper, hood and headlights still looks new. I also use 3M performance finish wax at least once every 6 month to keep the glossy finish on the paint.

WE0H likes this.
  8. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Get Rude person's's mid chassis brace and front brace.

WE0H and Mike500 like this.
  9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Def. give it a good wash.. mine has some serious rail dust that I had to clay bar out! So I am certain if you leave it on there for a longer period, it can only get worse. Then a good wax.

Horn replacement is a must for safety. Unfortunately, you get cut off a lot in a Prius. I don't recommend the FIAMM's Free Blaster that most are doing. I don't find them loud enough.

Oh, and learn the technique's of driving the Prius.

JDB likes this.
  10. JDB

JDB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Tried the horn the other day and certainly can see the need to upgrade the horn.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    * All weather floor mats, but I use dirt cheap vinyl overlays to protect carpet mats
    * http://www.visormates.com until they get visor that slides out from the mounting arm. Don't like the plastic slide out extender as found on Camry. Accord sliding visor good.

* Tint the hatch glass at the least for sure
    * You have fabric seats, cover them. Can't put them in washing machine, right?

* 3M clear bra a good idea. Was told you can do it later on too, doesn't have to be new car. Bit pricey.

WE0H likes this.
  12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The Visormates are a good add and help to make up for the inadequate sun visors. I used 303 Hi Tech Fabric Guard Aerospace Protectorant (similar to Scotchguard but supposedly better) on my fabric seats to help with cleanup.