1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner with baby seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Aug 28, 2006.

1. mikechan777@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Well, many thanx to all the posters for all the information and helping me save money especially with the warranty. I have a 2006 Dark Grey Prius, Package #1 that I was able to get at $100 under sticker, purchased in orange county, CA. I had to turn in my Celica convertible since the 8-month old is not too safe in the back.

I wanted to ask what baby convertible seats (brand) other Prius owners have been using, that will allow 2 adults to sit with the baby seat in the middle? I noticed that Graco infant seat is pretty tight and I imagine the convertible seat would be even wider.

thx in advance,
    MC

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not yet seen a seat that will fit in the middle and allow two adults to sit anything close to comfortably beside it.

Uncomfortably for short trips they'll fit if not too big, but they'll sit a little cock-eyed and probably not be very happy.

3. tacomel

tacomel New Member

We have the Evenflo Triumph Deluxe installed behind the right passenger seat (not the middle). We call it our son's "throne" and he loves it. It fits great in the Prius with the front seat all the way back (and was fine in our CR-V and Civic too). The Prius headrest fits well with this, almost "clamping down" onto the top. We fit two small-to-moderate sized adults in the back seat along with the car seat which is acceptable for shorter trips but not longer ones. In this sense the Prius seems to have a little less horizontal room than our old CR-V did, and the middle seat is less comfortable. Thankfully I do not qualify as "small-to-moderate" and always get to drive on such trips. :p

We have never tried mounting this carseat in any other position (e.g. middle seat). I could not imagine that anyone except a small adult or slim teenager or smaller would be comfortable on either side with this carseat.

4. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Yeeeah. Ummm... I am not sure what to tell ya on this one.

We have a Britax Marathon in the middle seat. Now, my skinny-minny sister (22yr, size 0) can actually sit on either side of the seat and she said she's O.K. My nephews (ages 6 & 7) weren't bothered by the cramped quarters. But a full size American would have some issues.

Suffice to say, it's the ONLY reason we didn't trade in our VW Passat wagon for the Prius. Granted, it usually just sits in the driveway 6 days a week, but it IS a vehicle we can comfortably call the "Family Truckster." :lol:

On the plus side, I haven't had to haul my MIL around when hubby, son and I are driving somewhere. She will gladly follow in the vehicle behind us. :p

5. europhile

europhile New Member

Hmm -- I currently have an Evenflo Triumph in the middle (rearfacing), but will be switching to a Britax this week (DH needs to install...). I will follow up with you once we've tried it -- the Britax seats are rather big. With the Evenflow, we could still have adults (of European size) sit on either side for in-city rides.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(europhile @ Aug 29 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]311095[/snapback]</div>
    What's considered "European size"? Here i'm picturing either an extremely skinny Frenchman or a wide chested, beer guzzling German (i know, stereotypes are bad...) seems to me that, even though America is obese, we still have similar scales as other countries, just top heavy, so to speak.

7. europhile

europhile New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 29 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]311103[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry -- I guess I added to the stereotype. I really meant to say people within a normal body-mass-index range (19-25 or so).

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with using the middle seat is that it is on a hump so the seat would have to have a narrow base to keep it from rockng back and forth not to mention not squeeze the person on the left or right. It would be okay for short trips but nothing long term. The center seat does off the latch system if you figure out some way to prevent the seat from sliding to one side or the other. So far both of our forward facing child seats are too wide.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Aug 29 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]311276[/snapback]</div>
    The hump is small, soft and compressible and I've had a seat firmly placed in the center position for 3 years now.

10. esskay

esskay Junior Member

We have Britax seats (top rated by Consumer Reports, IIRC). I know you were asking about hte center position, but I have one of them installed in the side rear seat and it fits so beautifully, easily and snugly it's as if it were designed to go right in there. Perfect!

11. mikechan777@hotmail.com

I'm probably going to pick up the Graco ComrortSport - going for the budget seat since my wife's car is the "main" car. I just shuttle from daycare to home for about 10 minutes. This particular brand comes with side cup holders which thankfully are detachable. It sounds like there's not much difference between brands in terms of width so I'll just get the best regardless of the Prius. Thanx to all who responded and I'll post my experience.

12. europhile

europhile New Member

Just a quick follow up on the Britax -- it is way too big for the middle, didn't fit as well as the Evenflo. So I would have to install it on the side, if I wanted to use it. I will keep the Evenflo in the middle (it's a good fit), and the Britax will go in the other car. Britaxes are overrated anyway and way expensive.

13. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(europhile @ Aug 30 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]311723[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to comment here...

I was in a major collision (t-boned ~45mph) with my son in his Britax Marathon in our previous VW Passat. We were both trandported to Shock Trauma for multiple injuries and I heard from doctors and police officers multiple times say that they can't believe that my son lived through the collision, much less have fewer injuries than I did. They all said it must've been the car seat, coupled with the fact that it was properly installed.

Those words made it SO much easier to replace the car seat with another $270 Britax Marathon. Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. And that car seat payed for itself in spades that day.

Lastly... we installed the Britax in the middle of the rear seat, with the LATCH anchors as well as the strap anchoring in the back. It was easy and it's SOLID. Both hubby and I tried every which way to budge it and it's not going anywhere. I feel perfectly safe transporting myself and my son in our Prius.

14. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(europhile @ Aug 30 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]311723[/snapback]</div>
    You're of course welcome to your feelings about Britaxes... but when it comes to my children the most important factor to me in car seats is the crash test results. And the Britax seats were top rated. So $100, $300, $500, it doesn't really matter to me... sign me up!

I haven't tried installing the Britax in the middle, but as I posted above, the seat fits like a GLOVE on the side!

15. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Aug 31 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]312033[/snapback]</div>
    That's good to know. I'll have to move it to the side next weekend when I am transporting two toddlers to the ocean (my son and his beloved cousin.) We have it in the middle and it fits perfectly.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Aug 31 2006, 01:31 AM) [snapback]312033[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, sure, Britax has slightly better side head protection than most other seats, all of which meet gov't standards, but none of these seats have been rigorously tested against one another to a degree that actually proves Britax is significantly more likely to save your child's life than another.

But you can choose that if you wish and if you feel more comfortable. But then why put the kid at the side of the car where a side impact is most likely to kill him instead of in the safest position in any car...the middle of the back seat? If safety is the A #1 concern I'll take a $50 Graco in the center over a $500 Britax on the side any day.

17. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 31 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]312114[/snapback]</div>
    Fair enough indeed... but we have two kids, and with the older one on one side we can't really fit the car seat in the middle.

But actually in any case, more often than not my wife transports the kids in our Odyssey...where there is enough room for the younger one in the middle position and her brother in a monster sized Britax next to her.

18. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

O.K... one last time.... :p

We had an impromptu passenger on our way back from the Labor Day festivities. My mother hitched a ride back with us, and sat in the rear with the car seat in the middle. We quizzed her (after this thread, naturally) about her comfort, did she feel cramped etc... And she said she was actually just fine. She said it was a little tight getting the seat belt buckled, but after that she was fine. She's 5'4" and about a buck thirty. So average size adult female. So there you have it!

19. mikechan777@hotmail.com

I finally got my seat (online order) and decided on the Evenflo Triumph 5. I have cloth interior and first off, I wish I bought a seat liner since it appears to leave a dent impression into the seat. I noticed off the bat, mounting the seat in the center, that the seat does not seem "balanced", meaning, there's a bump in the middle seat. It seems to be able to tilt side to side but I'm still installing the seat in the middle regardless. I also noticed that the seat in rear-facing mode, is close to touching the front seat. I was hoping for a little more clearance but I think its still safe. Overall, I like the seat but the jury is still out on whether I'll keep the seat in the middle. I'll post more next week after the road test.

20. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have both a Britax Boulevard which, while large, allows seating on both sides (my husband took that one for the Subaru) and a Evenflo Triumph which fits in my '04 Prius perfectly in the middle. We have plenty of room in the car!

Best,
    Victorria

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(643DP @ Aug 28 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]310684[/snapback]</div>