1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner with basic service, maintenance questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rmani, May 22, 2013.

1. rmani

rmani New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hey guys.

well my gf took delivery of her 2010 prius 3 yesterday. So far she is very happy, and rightfully so it's a nice car. with 35k miles on the odometer my questions are as follows:

What is the standard oil change interval and when is the next change due?
    Can an oil change be done by any regular service station like jiffy lube? or should she always take it to the dealer?
    What are the other standard service intervals for the car?

Thanks.I'm sure i'll have more questions. In case anyone is wondering we don't have any service records because the dealer that called and ran the vin for me would not provide me the records. They just said the car had been serviced regularly. I bought the car through a private party.

Thanks again.

2. rmani

rmani New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One other thing I wanted to ask. The person was only able to give me one remote. i've seen some remote for sale on ebay but how much will the dealer want to program the remote to work with the car? is there another option besides going to the dealer?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Every 10,000 miles, so at 40,000 miles
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Prius/pdf/2010_Prius_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

While I would never take my car to Jiffy Lube for any reason, any real mechanic can work on your car, it does not have to be the dealer. My dealer is competitively priced, so I use them.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Prius/pdf/2010_Prius_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

If service was by a dealer, here are your service records and manuals, online:
    Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More

Here is an aftermarket manual:
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide

4. rmani

rmani New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guys. Any idea on how to get a second key programmed?

5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
  6. Witness

Witness Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I took my Mazda to a Jiffy Lube once. Once. Because of some stupid coupon to get a cheap oil change. After that, I went back to my regular mechanic to my oil changes, and they discovered that the oil pan drain nut was overtightened. They weren't sure if it was going to be stripped, but they successfully removed it without damage. Never again.

7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just subscribe to my YouTube channel to learn how to do your own maintenance on the Prius. It's very simple and saves you a lot of money in the long run! :)

As for the key FOB, only the dealers can program your key.