1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wayward, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good morning everyone.
    I just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone on this forum.
    I have been reading a ton over the past several weeks and have learned a lot.
    I pick up my new 2012 Level 4 Blizzard Prius this afternoon at 3:00.

I am really excited to start maximizing my mileage. I am trading in my Scion Xb Release Series 9.0.
    I have switched cars several times in the past few years and I plan to stick with the Prius for the foreseeable future.

I have tried to read as much as I can to prepare for everything, and I have a great salesman so I plan on making him go over the whole car with me to try and limit surprises down the road.

Is there anything else I need to do to prep my car? By end of day it will have all weather mats, mudflaps, cargo net, rear bumper protection, tint is next weekend.
    I don't plan on upgrading the stereo or anything like that, at my age I am just not as worried about it lol.

Anyways, thanks again for all your knowledge and advice, I hope I will be able to help contribute in the future.

Wayward

2. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome! You will love the gas mileage. I have a 2008 Scion XB as well, and average about 28-29mpg on that. In the prius, I'm averaging almost 50 since I've had it (only 1200 miles since I purchased it).

I also find it to be more comfortable than the Scion XB, which my wife drives now :)

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Looks like an FJR13. Power locomotive that one is.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! You might consider some snow tires for the up coming season.

Vas25tl likes this.
  5. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed. I'm ordering mine this week, just need to find a set of gen II or gen III 15" wheels to put them on and I'm set.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is a great plan (second set of rims). I have a set of Corolla steelies, which are fine but look like sin and weight a bunch. With studded snows and steel rims and the cold, I take nearly a 10mpg hit in the winter. But safety is paramount.

7. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes! There absolutely IS something you have to do! Have the dealer take the required couple of minutes with their ScanTool to reset the gosh darned seatbelt and backup ding/dang/dong majorly annoying alerts to their absolute minimum number (e.g. ONE). Don't let them tell you that it will cost $90 (what they tried with me) or any other amount than $0.00. It is or should be part of their standard dealer prep duties. Ignore this warning at your own peril - you WILL regret it!

Other than that, welcome! Enjoy your new Prius!

8. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the board. Just a bit of caution about using the graphic display and trying to get the most out of a gallon of gas. Other drivers are not bashful about tailgating if you don't accellerage briskly and don't drive over the speed limit. We're getting about 52 mpg (actual mileage) in mixed city/country driving in the summer. The car is put of for the winter.

Sports tourers are great bikes. I ride an ST-1300.

9. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes, I will consider the snow tires option, I have never owned snow tires and I have lived in the PNW for 32 years. Is this car really that bad in the snow based on your experience? I would hate to buy brand new tires for a brand new car if I won't really need them.

The bike is an FJR, I just put her away for the winter :cry:
    I teach motorcycle safety as well, but the teaching season is now over.

10. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL thank you for that, I actually called my salesman on his day off on Monday and asked him to have service change the backup to one beep for me, but thank you for looking out... and I agree, must be done.... for sure.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Motorcycle season? What's that? :confused:

<ducks and runs>

12. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL I wish I didn't have it that way up here, there are a few diehards that ride most of the year, one of my fellow instructors used to work down the hall from me, and he drove all but like 10 days last year, of course he had a sidecar setup.

13. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Beware of all the weird noises you will hear, relax, they are normal. The car makes noises when you unlock it, and when you start it. For example at times if you have the ac on when the ready button lights up, you will here the ac kick on before the ice starts. There are also other noises, some of them about 15 minutes after you have shut it down, what they are I don't know, but I've learned on this forum that they are normal. So enjoy the car, the great mileage, and the noises.

14. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's not a necessity but it makes a world of difference. I have put snow tires on only RWD vehicles in the past but after seeing how great they are in snow, I started putting them on all my cars. It's amazing how confident you feel driving in snow. I drive throughout the midwest so for me it's definitely something I am willing to invest money into.

15. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was thinking about the Corolla steelies as well but the local junk yard wants $75 each for them! I think I may have found a set of gen II wheels/bad tires for $190, will try to pick them up next week.

I should be able to get wheels, tires and get them mounted and keep the second set under $650 with all the running around.

16. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome and I'm sure you will love your Prius!

My only suggestion is if this is your first hybrid, I suggest driving it like you would a normal car for at LEAST a week. Get a feel for how your hybrid system cycles when it's still warming up, when it uses electric power, when it switches over to the ICE, etc. Once you're comfortable with driving the car and not freaking out every time the engine cuts out (I used to drive a manual car and I swore the first week I had my Prius I kept thinking I stalled the thing) I would say THEN you can start picking up the mileage techniques.

I say this because the first day I bought my Prius I was trying to Pulse and Glide in southern California traffic and was driving extremely distracted. Just know that if you drive your car like a normal person, you're still going to get very close to that 50 mpg advertised. Plus you wouldn't want to harm that pretty blizzard pearl color you have ;)

Lastly, if you've never had a car with CVT, get ready :) I see you ride so you're probably very familiar with having gears. The Prius doesn't have set gears to change so that takes some getting used to...

spiderman likes this.
  17. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tip Selzier... I am one of those people that would try to maximize everything right from the beginning so that is a great tip.
    Yep the Blizzard, and normally I would never add "bling" to my car, but when they were able to find a car I wanted it already had the chrome rocker moldings, I have to say they actually look really nice on the Blizzard color.
    First drive home wasn't the best example of the new mileage just because I bought it 35 miles away ( I really like that dealer, I have bought 4 cars previously from them.) But my salesman took me for a drive in my car to explain everything before I left, so we went through traffic, short highway etc.
    And then to leave town I had to go up a 5 mile grade of like 6-8% @ 70mph, so that destroyed my mileage right off the bat.
    But I realized that and just waited until this morning, having to use the rear defrost, some heat, and my short 14 mile commute with mixed city and highway I was happy with the results.

Tried to just drive to work normally this morning and average 46.2mpg on the ride in so I cannot complain.

18. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh man those grades are going to kill you. I have a 2 mile 7% grade I have to climb on my way to work everyday and my instantaneous MPG rating has 3-4 bars at most during the entire climb even at 55 mph!

19. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I am glad I don't have to go up that everyday, just to get out of the town that I bought the Prius from. Yeah I was like at 3-4 bars all the way up it, but it went up at 70mph no problem, and really not very loud, now keep in mind I traded in my 12 Xb on the Scion and it was louder going up that grade.
    Think I averaged like 38mpg home last night, still better than I used to do on that trip, with winter coming on I won't make that trip with the grade for awhile.
    I teach motorcycle safety in that town but I try to ride my motorcycle to teach as much as possible, but that is over until next April, so I timed my purchase good on that.

20. Spokanepriusgrl

Spokanepriusgrl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are you in Idaho Wayward? I'm in Spokane and debating on snow tires too. The guy I bought my Prius from said he siped the tires on his 2011 Prius and does fine with that in the winter. So, I may try that and avoid the rush at the end of the month to get snow tires installed at the tire shops...