1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owners !!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MPGnutcase, Jul 17, 2013.

1. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The reason I bought a Prius C. I was so happy with the performance of our 2012 camry hybrid! it actually exceeds the epa mpg even on e10 87octain fuel. Then toyota offered 0% financing for 5 years. I wanted a car that worked best for in town driving. I always drive lots of short trips every week day, I thought the Prius C was the best choice for me.

The pros and cons. Prius C has great mpg for me. it drives great and fits in small parking spots ect.. very well. the only con I find is that it does a warm up of the engine that usually last almost the length of many of my trips.

My car is in a garage and I wonder if a block heater might help with my morining trip to work mpg. the trip is 2.9 miles mostly 25 speed zone.

my first tank was 503 miles and came out to 61 mpg. the trip computer said 63 the tank I am on says 62 so far 150 miles.

2. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot that the gps wont work on the go.:mad: that is the worst thing on my wifes camry. so I got mine without the gps/backup camera option.

I hope toyota canges the gps to work better. also ours seems to get confused and gives directions to late so you miss your turn. the one on my phone works much better. but that makes it very difficult without a co-pilot:unsure:

3. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Regarding the Gen III

1. I was tired of how much my gas bill was on my BMW 335i (Twin Turbo 6) and the constant issues so I got BMW to buy it back, I already own another Toyota product. The Lexus IS 350 was getting a redesign for the worse. I'm a geek and really like all the tech in the Prius and the look of the car

2. Cons: I miss the power and handling of my BMW, no auto wipers, no memory seats, bing is retarded and useless as are some of the other features in entune, delicate interior, OEM 17's easily scratch-able even when being serviced. Pros: Great MPG, LED headlights and DRL's, functional cup holders, Smart Key

3. None yet, but if I do, my extended Prii family and friends will be able to answer them here ;)

4. Averaging between 45-54 depending on how aggressive or lightly I drive the Flyer. Worse mileage was on my way to 6Flags - 40.3 :sick:

Regarding the C

1. Owning my Gen III prompted the purchase of a second Prius, that and we were getting tired of the gas bill commuting in a Hyundai XG350 L with a nice thirsty V6 :notworthy: add to that it was getting to the mileage where it needed a Timing Belt which was going to cost $1,200.

2. Pros: Exceptional MPG, very zippy, better pick up then the Gen III even in ECO mode, fits anywhere when parking, fun to drive, info screens are in color and animated. Cons: Only 2 speakers in the C1 (tweeters don't count as speakers Toyota, just saying) No Cruise Control, Poor headlights (maybe I'm just use to the HID's in my 4Runner and LED's in the Gen III), not enough seating adjustments, no trunk light, USB port position.

3. Why no cruise control on the 1 and why so complicated to install it after market? Anyone add a double din head unit to their C?

4. High 50's all day long.... worse mileage was after Toyota did the 5k service and didn't properly inflate tires, when I checked tire pressure was at 32 all the way around.... Door says 35, America's Tire set them to 38.

4. garnik

garnik New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been selling Toyota for the last 8 years and finally bought my own Prius plugin base model 3 weeks ego.
    I love my car and because I work 6 miles away from my house, I can charge the main battery and in EV mode just go back and forth on electric power alone.
    if not driving in Ev mode , I get about 45-46 miles

5. suede_boggs

suede_boggs New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1-What made you buy the Prius

The gas milage got me interested, but it was the tech that really sold me. I'm coming from a early 2000 Jeep Wrangler, so pretty much anything with real windows and better than 12 MPG would be a plus, so the Prius really blew me away. I'm a huge fan of the screen, that and the back-up camera were huge selling points.

The main reason I opted for the Prius was the design. I loved my jeep. Wrangler owners are all in a sort of club, so with my new car, I needed something that was going to stand out a bit. All the other cars I looked at were just going to be meh in a few years from a looks point of view, but not the prius.

2-Pros and Cons so far

Pros: the tech and gas milages

Cons: Getting used to the odd blind spots and not being able to see the front of the car.

3-Questions yet

None! This commuity as well as /r/prius has helped answer a ton of questions and was super helpful during the buying process.

4-tell us about your MPG

Just broke my record with 59.6 MPG! Usually get anywhere from 45-53, so I was jacked when I saw the 59 number.

6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Wife would not travel to Alaska in our 2002 Saturn, so needed new "travel" car. Toyota replaced the frame on my 2003 Tundra and we had a Prius loaner for a couple days. The dealer had one new 2012 left that they were trying to get rid of (in Feb 2013), and I wanted to see if we could really travel at 50+ mpg, so we bought it.

2. Big pros were efficiency and surprising interior space--we have enough space to sleep in the car while camping. Big cons were altering my driving habits to accommodate slower acceleration and maximizing the regenerative braking, and the lack of lumbar support in the front seats.

3. All questions, like how to change the transmission fluid, were answered by Priuschat forums and You Tube videos!

4. Using standard tires and 35 psi front, 33 psi rearpressures, I was getting a calculated 51 mpg for the first 8,000 miles. But after increasing tire pressures to 39 psi front, 37 psi rear, I am getting a calculated 55 mpg for the last 3,000 miles, which makes us very happy.

7. ...bill

...bill New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1-What made you buy the Prius
    My lovely Audi A6 served us well for a long time, but it was time to let it go. Knew we'd go with a high MPG vehicle some day. Rented (by chance) a Prius in San Fran and averaged 50 MPG bombing around the city and Silicon Valley for 2 days. Spoke to wife; bought a new 2013 Prius two in July 2013, and sold Mr. Audi to some awe inspired kid.

2-Pros and Cons so far
    Pros: MPG trumps any negatives about this car. We've greatly improved monthly cash flow with fuel savings. We like the keyless feature and the basic phone/bluetooth functionality. Didn't get NAV and glad we didn't.
    A not commonly mentioned Pro, is the build quality. Absolutely no issues with this car from day 1 to date (6K miles).
    Vehicle has high utility with ability to seat 5, and the ample cargo space.
    Cons: The "2" model had a few things missing that I added myself: homelink garage opener (thanks PriusChat), backup camera (thanks PriusChat), LED interior lighting (to keep battery from discharging when kids leave doors open).
    Biggest real issue is road noise. Brutal on a long trip. OK for bombing around town or short trips.
    Not too impressed with the Star Trek center console. Body styling is "OK". Don't like the tail light treatment/styling at all. Wheel covers look really really cheap.
    None of these cons are real problems. We're very happy with this car.

3-Questions yet
    Answered most questions reading these forums. A bit apprehensive about driving in snow with stock tires.

4-tell us about your MPG
    50-52 MPG if I drive. 47.5-48.5 if wife drives. Pretty happy about this.

Bottom line: Does exactly what it's advertised to do; high MPG with good utility. It's not a luxury car, and it's clearly cost optimized. I'm OK with that.

8. Timmyboy188

Timmyboy188 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you asked me a few years ago if I would ever own a Prius, I would have said, "Heeeeellllllll noooo!"

But that all changed when I rode in a work friends 07 Prius. We drove from Phoenix to Tucson, all around Tucson, then back up to North Phoenix, and all around Phoenix, and he wasn't even full when we took off that morning. He filled up, and it was about 34 dollars. I always new Prius got great gas mileage, but I never really experienced it first hand. I was blown away. I wanted one since. We FINALLY got rid of our 01 Audi TT, what a nightmare that car was. I ended up trading it in at 118000 miles, after dumping thousands into it to keep it running. The dealer gave me 4700 for it, and I picked up my 2010 Prius I for 14,999. I ecstatic about the car. I love the technology of it, just as much as its MPG. I love seeing forward progress, and these cars bleed it. I can et about 55 MPG when I drive, but my wife keeps it at 47 MPG. She refuses to learn how to drive it properly, and just comes back and says "The car won't "go" she says, "I always have to slam on the gas to get it to move" :sigh: but like I said, love the car. Cut fuel costs down to over 200 a month, insurance is about 50 a month, and payment at 200, all that said and done, it's basically a wash cost wise, so it was a great purchase.

9. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had my '10 for exactly 2yrs. and 54k miles and still think it's the best car I've owned. My other car is an LS400 that is an excellent car, but when it leaves, I'll get another Prius, maybe look at the C.