1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Plug-in Advertising Campaign

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius Team, Jul 27, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see what you mean, a few days ago, someone was so excited to see a plug-in vehicle that he flagged me down in traffic to ask me to join a local plug-in vehicle club.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well over a year of ownership and I have yet to see another PiP in the flesh other than my own.

3. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know of one a block and a half from where I live... It is identical to mine, even the same color, just a year younger. I must have done something right. The son of the guy that owns it was one of my Boy Scouts back when... He told me his son learned the Outdoor Code well! :D

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in Iowa last weekend for Nordic Fest. Had a blast, in a tiny Midwest town... where there were Prius everywhere! I was surprised as heck by the quantity. It got to the point where it was rather amusing. Not only was I seeing them all over the place, sometimes there were several parked together. Twice I ended up in a group of 3 and once a group of 4. And yes, there was even another plug-in model.

Of course, if you think about it, Prius is a great long-distance travel vehicle. So, it does make sense seeing so many concentrated like that at a special event. Last year, a trip to Wisconsin had similar results. But in that small town, there were actually 3 plug-in Prius all within sight at the same time. We even saw a special edition model. It was sweet!

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it wasn't a PiP commercial, but there was a Prius commercial on Under The Dome tonight. The PiP did make an appearance on the show.

6. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) I guess it didn't make sense to me because the friend offers the garage to plug in, but no actual outlets to do so. I guess I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.
    2) It's implied that he was going to unplug the aquarium since he's staring at the fish, but after seeing the boy's guilt trip, decides not to.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plug-ins are definitely a rare beast around here.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ooops :oops:. I didn't notice that the aquarium and the refrigerator were on the same plug.

Would you be kind enough to point to that thread (concerning rollout in other states)? TIA

#48 CharlesH, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hang on, let me take a look. okay: prius team fyi/intros, post#34.

#49 bisco, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    CharlesH likes this.
  10. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are we supposed to be hearing the chick in the "Manual" video's thoughts at the beginning? Or the remainder of a previous conversation where she was trying to explain it to the dad? I didn't really understand why her lips weren't moving: "Dad it's a Prius, that you can plug in if you wan't extra mileage. It's a Priu [gets cut off by the dad actually talking]". Although I guess you use an attractive chick and nobody will care.

Also I don't like the focus on the 95 MPGe at the end, but that's because I find MPGe to be a silly number that doesn't have a direct real world meaning to most people. MPG and MPkWh are significantly more useful for comparisons. MPGe seems more like a boastful advertising number than anything else.

12. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok in the third commercial, a guy named Andrew comes on and talks about mileage stats as well turning on your A/C using the Entune app on your phone. I've got the app and have no such capability, what am I missing?

13. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are few Entune apps that are exclusive to the Prius Advanced models (where you get the Premium HDD Entune nav unit). That includes turning on your A/C, starting a charge session, notification of complete charging, and locating your vehicle via your phone.

14. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A bit more detail: These apps use the built-in SafetyConnect cell phone to talk to the Internet, which is only on the Advanced. There is a charge for SafetyConnect after an initial trial period (three years, I think).

15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Disclaimer- I don't use Entune. But I thought it uses your smartphone even in the base model to get things like gas prices, restaurant reservations, movie info, etc. If not, how does it work? :confused: Or do you mean you don't need a cellphone at all with the advanced model? Can you make calls on the built-in one?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, but you can't turn on the a/c, check your charge, etc.

17. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With the built-in SafetyConnect cell phone, the only phone call you can make is to the SafetyConnect operator. Unlike the service in the Lexus, which can provide navigation assistance, the service on the PiP is limited to road service and emergency response. The operator is provided your GPS location, so they know where to send the assistance. The SafetyConnect phone makes or receives data calls to/from a server for the Advanced features such as charge management.

Totally unrelated are the other Entune apps such as gas price and movie info and real-time traffic info. On the Advanced, this is provided via data service from Sirius/XM; on the Base, it is through the user's smartphone.

rogerv likes this.
  18. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, guys. I think I understand it a little better now. Still don't have any use for Entune, however.:p

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me either.

retired4999 and rogerv like this.
  20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, that's slightly comforting to someone like myself, who has no access to it!

Sorry, still a touch of bitterness remains. ;)