1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Plug-in Advertising Campaign

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius Team, Jul 27, 2014.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to use Entune. I did use the weather app once and checked out the radar trying to see where the storm was when I left for home. That was cool to see it on the display. I used Pandora once and still use iHeartRadio from time to time. Wife used bing once to look up a stores hours. I have to admit they are slow.

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMHO, you ain't missin' much!

3. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But it IS more than nothing, which is what Greg has...

4. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like Toyota is about ten years behind the curve, that's about how long it's been since GM used to only offer OnStar as an upgrade only in higher end models. Why on earth would you only offer a "Safety feature" in a more expensive model, particularly one that you are charging a fee for? OnStar is standard on every single vehicle GM makes. For a vehicle that's got so many buzzers and features aimed at awakening it's assumed idiot of a driver, it really makes me wonder who decides the way these cars are packaged. Sirius/XM is also part of the base model radio so clearly that's not an issue.

Thank you for the answers, truthfully the only app I really like is Pandora and it's not working properly in the car as of this week........ Go figure.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, I hear ya. For every brilliant engineer who comes up with a great idea, there are about 3 MBAs who are there to either shut it down, or find a way to use it to torment the customers with it.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's OK advertising.

At least I'm not being haunted by a giant mummenschanz like creature assembled out of different people.
    Nor am I being exposed to another "idiot" coming into a Toyota Dealership lobby to talk to Jan.

But in the case of both "Choices" and "Manual" when I watch them I can almost hear a brainstorming session or focus group discussing what message they want to get out....

And evidently Toyota wants you to know that the "Plug In Prius" doesn't necessarily HAVE to be plugged in.....

Well I suppose "Mission Accomplished" then.

But I don't find any of the offerings particularly inspiring.

"Manual" uses the old..."conversation" between two people to bludgeon you with the direct message...BORING.

And "Choices" I found somewhat odd.

That's not the Prius owners house, as is communicated by the guy telling him he could pull into the garage and plug in "IF" he wants to...

Once in the garage, talking fish aside, the message seems to be...finding a place to plug in can be difficult? --or your neighbor is seriously overloading his wiring and needs an electrician? I'm sure that is NOT what Toyota intended. Well, Toyota does show you that you can just throw the cord in the back....

At first I thought the guy was contemplating using the charging cord to electrocute the fish....which in a "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" way, might of been not only more entertaining but vital to humanity, as evidently that fish represents a huge threatening leap in evolution.

Oh well...in case you didn't know...The Plug In Prius doesn't necessarily need to be plugged in....Yawn.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a question I get a lot: "Do you have to plug it in to be able to drive it?"

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a question I was asked many times when I got my '04- lots of folks were unclear on the concept of a hybrid in those days.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not saying that isn't a message that necessarily needs to get out....It probably does...

But is anyone that is asking that question really even a potential purchaser?

I don't hear or see a lot of posts, or threads where someone exclaims that they would of bought a Plug In Prius but they didn't realize you didn't have to plug it in.

And obviously those that do purchase a plug in....I think want to plug in as much as possible to get as much advantage as possible. So I would think for owners...or people in the know..you are just singing to the choir, or presenting a "No Duh" moment.

So? Not sure who that specific message is being aimed at..."Leaf" buyers with electric range anxiety? The fact that you can use a Plug In Prius like a "normal" hybrid and drive as far as a normal hybrid, without necessarily having to plug in...isn't really stressed in either spot.

I could be wrong though....hanging around Prius Chat, I think has somewhat blinded me, or jaded me to Hybrid/Prius knowledge. I tend to be more amazed at how "mainstream" Toyota has been able to make The Prius.

But I too do get the occasional person in the parking lot, that wants to know how my "Electric" car works.

And I just have a "regular" Prius.

So I suppose illumination of exactly what a "Plug In" Prius IS and/or how they can be used...probably is all part of the education of the masses. But the question is...does illumination of this message, potentially create new buyers?

Not sure.

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the ads are addressing that misconception. For years, the electric vehicle was associated with charging up the batteries by plugging in the car. The hybrid concept was never very clearly understood by the public at large. At first, I myself, didn't realize that all the energy for driving the car comes from gasoline in a conventional hybrid.

11. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The choices one was funny, but honestly who's really going to offer you to plug in. Personally I'd find it rude if someone asked me if they could plug in. That's like saying, hey you invited me for dinner and I showed up, the least you could do is pay for my gas.
    The ad with the guy in the back seat is horribly scripted and literally painful for me to watch. Get some real actors in there, it might possibly feel realistic.

12. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually thought the choices one was clever. You have to remember the mainstream audience they're targeting doesn't really know anywhere close to how much we know about this. The manual one on the other hand seemed dumb to me. And actually, my friend's dad let's me plug in when I go to his house. Granted he was a Berkeley grad so he is slightly more green than most. He asked how much electricity I'd use, and when I told him it was max 3kWh he laughed and said go ahead.

13. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I do agree that people just don't get the plug in thing. It's either oh you have to plug it in? or it goes 12 miles on electricity, that's ridiculous.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My friend in MD offered to allow me to plug in when I visit should I have an EV.

If a guest asked to use the bathroom should the response be, "Hey, I'm paying for the water. Go pee in the back yard." or is the guest bathroom a pay toilet?

I view it as basic hospitality.

bisco, Zythryn and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, and if they were too low on gas to get to a station, i would offer them the 5 gallons i keep in the barn.

16. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I would never deny anyone in need of help. Completely different than a PIP driver wanting to plug in. Anyone who's been to dinner at my house knows how generous my family is (myself and my wife), however I was taught to always be self sufficient and NEVER EVER take advantage of anyone who opens up their home for you. Always humble yourself to those who are treating you.

This reminds me of the early days of cell phones, people were like hey I'm on a cell phone and it's expensive, you have to take my call first because I'm special. Seems people with plug in vehicles think they are entitled to free electricity. Like I said do you ask for gas money every time you visit someone? Is that basic hospitality in your opinion?
    It's called entitlement in my opinion and it's rude! Your not special because you drive an electric car, nor do you deserve special treatment. It's a Prius, make sure it has gas and be responsible enough to have fuel in it. Sure emergencies happen, but that's not what we're talking about here.

#76 Camfab, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Lourun likes this.