1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius-sized Honda Hybrid to be revealed at Paris Auto Show

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Honda is planning to launch a new hybrid model at the Paris Auto Show this fall, but the much-rumored sports hybrid shown to us in the form of the CR-Z concept is still some way off.

The new model, due to go on sale in 2009, will be a small family-sized vehicle, intended to rival the Toyota Prius.

It will be a stand-alone model (no traditional ICE counter-part), seating four or five people, and although Honda has not confirmed details of its body structure as yet, it's expected to be a five-door hatchback or compact sedan."

New Prius-sized Honda Hybrid to be revealed at Paris Auto Show - HybridChat

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless they're going to be introducing an EV mode in the new hybrid, I don't see it making a huge splash. Toyota & GM are both pursuing plug-ins with extended EV range for the 2009/2010 timeframe.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sorry but we discourage cross-posting links that point to other forums.
    You're going to have to take it up with the forum Admin.

(just kidding, of course.)

We knew Honda was working on a Prius-rival Insight replacement. I"m anxious to see what they've come up with.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Price would be a major factor.

5. Black2006

Black2006 Member

6. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    This is truly very hilarious.

The "small family hybrid" is to be EPA sized below the current Civic as a sub-compact and also in price.
    I find it very interesting that they would offer a comparative opportunity with the Prius in light of this. One of the few things they got right in their blurb is that the IMA system will be a close derivative of what's currently implemented on the Gen 2 HCH. But that is all.

Cheers;

MSantos

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish Honda well, but Toyota, Ford, and Nissan hybrids have a large advantage in the power-split device. It beats conventional transmissions for efficiency, performance and reliability.

8. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One seemingly smart move is to introduce a hybrid model without an ICE equivalent. The latest news is is showing that the hybrid version of cars with an ICE equivalent are generally not doing well. Most of the examples were priced much higher than their ICE borthers and most are not willing to pay the difference in this economy. Vehicles like the Prius don't have to have their price compared to a less greener and cheaper version of itself.

9. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Makes sense... but while still dwarfed by the Prius, the Camry is doing very well as demonstrated by the latest monthly North American sales. Also, Honda is reportedly selling every single HCH they make and there are still the ever chronic waiting lists being reported.
    If I recall correctly, the growth for either model has been in the 50+% mark over last year's figures and their sales volume seems to be hampered primarily by production capacity.

Cheers;

MSantos

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fact is, Toyota whupped Honda with the Prius. They have captured the hybrid market with a state of the art product. Honda merely modified the Civic with an electric-assist. Prius will be tough to beat unless Honda gets better or cheaper. Though there's still plenty of innovation ahead for electrics. Plenty of market out there for everybody.

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What isn't clear to me from this announcement is whether this is the new one being built in Indiana which was supposed to be Fit-sized or is it a third one?

If it is going after the Prius it's probably in retaliation to Toyota's announcement that it may have a 'baby' Prius coming out soon that will compete against the HCH.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Any thought that a "Prius like Honda" wouldn't sell well is rather short sighted. I suspect they would sell like proverbial hotcakes. Just like the Prius. The Honda lovers would be all over them. There are still a LOT of people who are brand loyal. They may even take sales away from Toyota if Honda put nicer seats in them. ;)

As far as Honda not having a "good" hybrid powertrain, their HCH seems to be doing just fine, thank you. Its' economy is not very far behind the Prius.

Now, I stopped into my local Honda dealership, and was surprised to find they had a few Accord Hybrids left from last year. One was in the showroom! Tempting, as a luxury go-car. If only I had more money than brains. ;)

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess it's a nice compliment to Toyota that Honda is attempting to catch up.
    Honda fans aside, The Prius has been out (in Asia) since 1997, has evolved over those 11 years, and will not be eclipsed by a single new offering from anyone trying to catch up, which should result in continued strong sales for Toyota.

By the time, any manufacturer catches up to the Prius, Toyota should be one or two iterations ahead, hopefully, although I do expect the first (apples to apples) competitor to Toyota will be Honda. (Their Honda Accord is pretty nice and gets great gas mileage but is not a true hybrid).

No worries for Toyota yet, but think they are sitting on their haunches savoring this meal? I really doubt it. (As I hear it, a new model will be introduced in 2010 or 2011.)

American auto manufacturers are still building and advertising gas guzzling SUV's and over powered luxury cars. In the current race, they should come in as expected ....last.

ZC1

14. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess I don't see it as a competition between Toyota and Honda. Toyota gets an A for the Prius and Honda will probably get a passing grade too -- it is the big 3 that are failing. Honda and Toyota will be selling cars that were designed from the ground up as low-emission, high FE cars while most other automakers are designing extremely inefficient vehicles and spraying them with green spraypaint because by improving the FE a little bit. Granted, I am like many others that believe the Prius is really a mid-term solution, but at least Toyota and Honda are trying and doing.

15. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's the design itself, not the implementation. The setup in HCH does indeed hold its own. But the ability to take full advantage of battery augmentation and the business aspect of fleetwide rollout are not as "good".

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that it will be cheapest and therefore get more people into the hybrid fold.

18. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I say bring it on Honda. The more competition the better it is for us. Plus the more hybrids sold the less gas we will use as a nation. Maybe with so much pressure from Honda and Toyota, GM and Ford will start being serious about FE cars and stop making those pigs.

19. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    The way I and many others see it:

Any new hybrid whether a Full Hybrid from Toyota or a Power Assist hybrid from Honda represent a measurable opportunity for lower emissions and a lesser use of petrol. Splitting apples on the account of architectural differences becomes tiresome after a while especially when considering the individual merits as well as the combined benefits of having two manufacturers offering world class quality products.

So either company will get a BIG thumbs up from me if they demonstrate good environmental performance on their fleet offerings. The larger their fuel efficient offerings, the better. And, if the upcoming Honda hybrids meet the Civic hybrid's Tier2/Bin2 rating then that means more green options for a greater number of consumers. And what is wrong with that?

Cheers;

MSantos