1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius tomorrow, how to disable SK feature?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tredstone, Mar 3, 2009.

1. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The beeping while in reverse is not an issue to me at all. Maybe I don't back up as much as some people, but it only beeps for a few seconds.

I sort of let it remind me to be cautious when backing up. I use it to focus my attention on people/vehicles that might be behind me.

2. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Beam me up Scotty!:cool:

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only known hack so far was a university demonstration that required receiving the signals between car and fob while in use. So if you avoid opening the car when there are nerdy-lookin' strangers standing about three feet away, everything should be OK :_>

I have never read of anyone stealing a Prius by breaking into it and driving it away. The Club would be a waste of money.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is wrong to think that vehicles with chip immobilizer cannot be stolen. It is happening around the world with luxury vehicles (most of them have some sort of immobolizer). SmartKey simply makes in/out more convenient. It does not make it any more secured (as far as stealing car is concerned).

The known way to for thieves is to bring their own ECU (computer box) with matching key. Once they get in the vehicle, pop the hood, and swap out the computer box (this may takes a few minutes). After that, start the vehicle with the matching key. Off they go! It is just more tedious for them. Not impossible. Therefore, it only makes sense to steal expensive vehicles. Joy ridders don't have such equipments and skills.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, that was the KeeLoq system used in the black logo (non-SKS) keyfob. They figured out how to decipher an encryption key by measuring the power fluctuations at the receiver. The work was done with garage door opener equipment, not actual automotive equipment. An impressive demonstration, but still far short of listening to keyfob radio signals and being able to produce the next signal required to unlock a car.

The smart (SKS) system is undocumented, and at least a superset of the KeeLoq system. Probably something even more different. It's going to be a while before anyone cracks SKS. I'm betting on some Russian guys who provide immobilizer reset firmware that competes with the $1500 replacement of some immobilizer ECUs.

If you want to break into a Prius, the mechanical lock is the weakest link. It's an old fashion style lock with a key that costs $2 to duplicate at any hardware store. If you want a reality check on the value of that key, just google "bump keys" to see how easy it is to get past that sort of lock.

If you want better security, just install the mechanical key system from a Camry. At least it would take more than a $1 key blank and a file to get past it.

It is technically feasible for someone to read the immobilizer code from a keyfob at a distance of about an inch. So, with a $1000 piece of locksmith equipment, the code could be read. But so far no company has decided to market a clone keyfob that could be written with the code data. Similar immobilizer clone keys cost about $65 from locksmiths with the proper equipment.

So it is possible to break into a Prius with the right equipment. The mechanical lock requires standard lock picking equipment. And the keyfob-in-the-dash requires a $1000 machine, the original keyfob, and a clone keyfob that nobody markets.

A brick through a window and a flatbed towtruck would be much easier.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem! I solved it by buying one for my wife too:D

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not to keep beating the dying horse, but as you approach a locked Prius with your SKS, the interior lights do come on, as a welcoming sort of feature, but it will not unlock until you touch the door handle, or hatch. Maybe some people think that the lights are indication that it is unlocked too. just my .02. I agree, I love the SKS.

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! Thanks, RobH and ceric, for the corrections and details.

9. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought I'd check in and say that the new Prius is great! It's such a pleasure to drive and extremely relaxing... which isn't to say that driving my previous car was a stressful experience but the Prius just makes everything feel effortless. The SK features are indeed one of the best points of the car, you guys were right.

When I first drove it off the lot I was averaging about 16mpg. After two days of driving it's now up to 38mpg and climbing. :)

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Wait until you see your Spring mileage.

11. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been trying to search for this and went several pages deep into the Knowledge Base, but I can't seem to find the info on how to change the programming of the SK so that it can have different door unlock settings. I'm sure I read it somewhere but now I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

12. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in the Owner's Manual. Looking for it there is good practice :_>

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a 2009, but I would expect the Owner's Manual is not too different from mine. If you read through the section on locking/unlocking using the SKS, you'll see instructions on how to change this. I believe you can cycle through 3 options (off, driver's door only or all doors) by pressing and holding both the "Panic" and unlock buttons at once.

Warning: I'm only going by memory, so please check the Owner's Manual first.

Better yet, someone else may soon post the information for you -- even citing to the page in the 2009 Owner's Manual!

Edit: See later post for more correct info!!

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK. I was almost correct before. There are three options, and they are programmed in order.

It is the lock and panic buttons that must be pressed simultaneously, and they must be held for about five seconds -- until you hear a single beep (inside the car) and either three, two or one sets of a double beep.

Three double beeps: You've set the factory setting, which is that the driver's side door handle unlocks only the driver's door, while the front passenger's door and the hatch will unlock all doors.

Two double beeps: Once you activate any of the three SKS-enabled doors, all doors unlock at once.

One double beep: This is the single door setting, meaning almost that. If you reach for the driver's door or the hatch, you'll only unlock the door you've touched. Unlocking the passenger side front door, though, still unlocks all.

I'm attaching the info from the manual (thanks to Dogfriend!).

Attached Files:

16. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!! Much appreciated :)

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Being the consumate dufuss, I have to admit waiting nearly 3 years before finally turning on the SKS. For the life of me I don't know why :confused: . I think maybe I had a twitchy ECU, because when I finally started playing with it, I had troubles. The ECU was replaced under the extended warranty, as the miles had already passed over the origianl warranty period.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have a look at the last three entries on my page here:
    Prius II FAQ

Guys... I'll admit here to you all - when I picked up my car, I was convinced that the SKS system unlocked when I got near the car, and relocked when I walked away - with no other action needed on my part. Took me two days to figure out that I was basically leaving the car unlocked all the time!

19. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks,
    I've driven my new Prius for about 135 miles now, and in the last 10 or so miles I've noticed that when I brake, at exactly 3mph (almost every time), there is a quick 'ker-lunk' sound and a tangible vibration feeling. It almost feels like the car kicking just a little bit. I don't recall feeling this on the first 120 or so miles, and I think I'm reasonably familiar with the 'sounds/vibrations' of driving the hybrid (engine shutting on/off, regen braking, etc).

Is this normal? Will it go away?:confused:

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doesn't sound normal to me. There is a transition between regenerative braking to friction braking that occurs at approx 7 mph - could this be the transition that you are feeling and something is dragging on a rotor? I would take it back to the dealer and have it checked out if it continues.

Edit - Or you are feeling the ICE kick off, which is normal.