1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius two questions

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Dennis_MA, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just picked up my new Prius yesterday. Traded my 2017 Prime. I noticed on this model it displays battery percentage instead of miles left in ev mode. The manual says you can see miles left on the trip odometer. My 2017 would display miles and not percentage which I think is more useful. I have been unable to find a way to change it.

My second question has to do with air recirculation vs outside air on the AC. Both cars seem to default to recirculating vs outside air every time the car is started. The owner's manual states that the HVAC system determines which is needed. I have never had it change to outside air by itself. I have always had to select it. Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default?

Thanks

bisco likes this.
  2. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that worked for the EV range. I asked at the dealer about the HVAC when they were turning off the reverse beeping to check that but they did not seem to know anything about it. But you know how that goes.

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It will sometimes change to outside air if the outside temperature is cool enough while AC is on. But if you turned on recirc yourself then it will stay on.

The behavior of recirculate in Toyotas is terrible, confusing, unpredictable, and not intuitive. At least it's slightly better in the Prime than in my 4runner. In the 4runner it will turn on recirc at the worst times, such as when the outside temp drops to what the car thinks is too cold, while I'm enjoying cool outside air.

There is no way to change the behavior. For the 4runner I am tempted to make a circuit that watches power to the recirc light, and sends a pulse to the switch anytime it goes on, to turn it back off. Or better yet I could use a Useless Machine.

5. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That what I suspected based on what the owner manual says. Thanks for your input confirming that.

6. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have you tried running the AC in NON-eco mode? I read a post around here that said in ECO it tries to go to Recirc because it's more economical, but more likely to use outside air and blow harder in non-eco mode.