1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius v Sales Already Clobbered Volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 21, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can hardly believe it:

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/prius-v/2012/toyota-prius-v-outsells-chevrolet-volt.html
    Maybe if the Volt came with a smaller pack, it's price could then compete with the v ... or at least with the PiP and PiP v - when its sales announcement comes out.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    it was kind of obvious it would. btw the prius v sales in all of 2011 were about the same as the sales of f series pickup trucks in the last 4 days of the year. Nothing suprising there either. Does this mean if the prius v was bigger and more powerful it would have sold more? Seems like a faulty line of reasoning here and at insideline.

1 person likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've never seen a Volt. In the last month I've spotted a half dozen different V's in the wild. They're coming out of the woodwork here.

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't find this surprising. The V is a competitive car based on its features and cost, the Volt isn't; only those looking to use cutting edge technology/in love with electric will buy a Volt. It, like the Leaf, is a very tiny niche product that never had a hope at its price range of catering to the masses and that will absolutely not change unless they can pull at least $8k off the price.

The V really is not a competitor to the Volt, though. I imagine the Volt has outsold a particular line of Rolls Royce, for example.

5. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius V, and its brethren, will outsell the volt. As AustinGreen point ed the Ford F series or Chevy Silverado will outsell the Prius. Does not make the trucks better as a car. The Prius family did not even make the top 20 cars sold and are #3 in the Toyota lineup. Guess that makes Prius a Failure even for Toyota?

New technology, especially at a high price, takes a while to catch on.
    In comparison here are the hybrids that the Leaf/Volt outsold in 2011, despite not being on sale in limited regions and a slow roll out. So yes the may not have displaced the market leader.. but then its a new car in a niche market and Both Leaf and Volt already doing better than many established models -- overall. The Leaf was the #9 most sold Hyrbid/EV, the Volt #11.

Here are the cars the number sold for the Leaf and below.

2011 Hybrid/EV sales
    # Name
    9674 Nissan LEAF #9
    9241 Toyota Camry Hybrid #10
    7671 Chevrolet Volt #11
    5739 Linc. MKZ #12
    4549 Toy. Highlander
    3236 Altima
    2864 Lexus HS 250h
    1571 Porsche Caynne

1001 Chevy Silverado
    819 Cad. Escalade
    598 GMC Yukon
    519 Chevy Tahoe
    390 VW Touareg Hybrid
    388 Smart ED EV
    378 Infiniti M35h
    338 BMW Hybrid
    309 Mercedes S400HV
    484 Mazda Tribute
    282 Lexus GS450h
    164 GMC Sierra
    123 Buick Regal
    84 Lexus LS600hL
    80 Mitsubishi i MEV
    52 Porsche Panamera S
    43 BMW X6 3
    24 Chevy Malibu Hybrid

Data from http://www.hybridcars.com/news/december-2011-dashboard-sales-still-climbing-35093.html

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Volt is an failure by any criteria.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How come you left our OUR other fuel sipper ... it IS on the list

That needs to be stuck above the Silverado. And the Malibu is still counted? Didn't they go out of production years ago, almost as soon as it was badged as a hybrid? Does that mean GM still hasn't unloade all of 'em? Didn't they simply shut off the battery at red light/stop signs? How is THAT a hybrid, while the RX gets skipped ?!?

8. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad on the Lexus RX, thanks for correcting me.. (I'll go back to edit and add it. It was not intentional, I probably lost it in sorting/editing the data. )

Yes the Malibu was killed as of the 2010 model year. (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/gm-drops-the-2010-chevy-malibu-hybrid/) But once a car is declared on death row, the Carcases take a while to sell so they still has some in 2011.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill, the RX came out with 10,723 sales ahead of the leaf, so it should not be on the list. With the end of the escape hybrid, the RX should be the best selling hybrid SUV by far in 2012. I do expect the volt, leaf and prius phv to outsell the RX hybrid this year.

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow - hate much?

And was there really a need to quote a large post just to subtract 2 cents from the discussion?

Like others, I don't see that there is any reason to compare the P-v and the Volt. The only Toyota that can be compared to the Volt is the PiP. Seems that GM has over a year's head-start on sales - will Toyota catch up before GM updates the Volt to address it's current shortcomings?

2 people like this.
  11. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Austin is correct, the 10723 is yearly sales for the RX400 and 450h combined. I just presumed I had made an error. Now I see that the 1233that Hill saw was just the december sales. So I re-re-edited the post again to delete it.

Looking at just the December sales (the 2nd month when volts were available nation wide), it was the 4th highest selling hybrid/Ev, combing in behind the Prius Family, Lexus CT200h, Hyndai Sonata and Toyota Camery hybrid. And inhead of the RX400/450h

12. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately... I would still stick with my current choice on the Prius v. I took a look at some of the volt stuff, and same with my problem with the Prius plug-in at the moment, while ideally it would be nice, at the same time, not many options for plugin in the current area I am in. Although having a better battery pack and a less governed electric motor would be nice.

Perhaps the opportunity to conversion will present itself in the next couple of years for existing hybrids that could support a battery pack change and a governor change... That would be the minimalistic hardware change I can think of, unless the battery pack is in a very difficult spot to require a full on tear out.

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Catching up to what? by putting a bigger battery in a plug-in car?
    Catching up to an EV not even clean enough for HOV lanes?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Catching up in sales, its pretty simple.

The volts currently being made qualify for HOV access the same as the prius.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes

16. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It qualifies for HOV access in CA.. Sergiospl was talking about NY HOV.

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is as if you did not read the post or look at the link.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Read your post, not the link. You made it sound as if it was emissions, which are currently to NY standards in production not delivery, SULEV. Read the regs, and it appears that NYS gives no credit for electric miles and is behind the times, so it will continue to not get a clean sticker because it does not get 45mpg in CS. NY needs to look at their regulations, and figure out what they should be. They appeared to remove vehicles because epa changed mpg tests.

So yes I was wrong, NY will continue to not include the volt because it does not achieve 45mpg in CS mode.

19. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For California, I found it here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm#vehicles

The Volt qualifies for HOV, but must fall under specific VIN types as stated here:

The Prius are no longer viable for the HOV with the exception of the Prius Plug-in for California. The Yellow sticker is no longer considered 'viable' and the Toyota Prius cars with the exception of the Plug-in are Yellow only. Green/White seems to focus on Fuel Cell or Electric.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

if having sales between 2x and 3x lower of publicized goals, despite big federal tax breaks, is "catching up", then awesome, GM is on the roll.

:cheer2:

1 person likes this.