1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius: where's the front license plate mount?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PilotChris, May 25, 2005.

1. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"96211)</div>
    PilotChris,

Inform the dealer, in writing, that since you informed them of the missing required part that "THEY" will be held responsible to pay for any fines received for not supplying you the part needed to attach the front plate as required by CA state law. This part was already paid for and not delivered at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

Here is the CA Vehicle Code relating to license plates in CA.

Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(B) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
    Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

2. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

Thank you all for the replies.

Just to clarify, I've searched the vehicle high and low and the front license plate holder is nowhere to be found (including the rear spare tire hatch).

The dealer did tell me that "there is no front license plate mount for the prius" and that I'm supposed to attach the plate directly to the front bumper, which I thankfully know to be false having asked here.

I will try the dealer one more time (perhaps referencing the pre-delivery service information here) before playing hardball, which, if it comes to it, will include:
    1) A more pointed, nasty call to the sales guy and the manager who did my paperwork.
    2) A call to Toyota NA.

Where can I find the PD010-03 document referenced by DanMan32? The pre-delivery service information bulletin linked in the KB appears to be similar, but has the number PD016-03 instead.

While I'm at it... I just noticed that my rear license plate frame is only secured by two screws at the top. The entire thing rattles when I close the rear hatch. Is this normal too?

Chris

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no holes to my knowledge on the bottom. Most cars I've ever had secure with only two holes, and I've had to endure the rattle w/ just about all of them. Usually removal of the frame gets rid of the rattle.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"96531)</div>
    That's normal, as far as I'm concerned. Mine does the same thing when closing the rear hatch or going over bumps. I've considered installing two small pieces of rubber (like rubber feet) on the back of the frame to see if I can eliminate the rattling vibration, but haven't tried it out yet.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:90155ee169]Yeah, go after the dealer for the front mount, you paid for it. It attaches to the bumper and two metric screws, like for the rear plate, are used to secure the front plate to the mount. You can buy mounting screws that have a hex drive with a central pin and come with a special allen wrench so people can't remove your plates.

Yes, there are only two screw holes for the back license plate. When I mounted my license, in a frame, I used plastic bolts to secure the bottom of the plate to the frame. I also put a couple of strips of self-adhesive foam window insulation (sold in rolls at the home-improvement stores) on the back of the plate, so it's cushioned and doesn't rattle. That would be annoying.[/font:90155ee169]

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't have all the bulletins available right now, and I didn't go through all of them when I was home. At the moment, I don't have access to either PD. PD016 may be the latest one, but be careful. There is a separate PD for all cars BUT the Prius. Also one PD is a summary, where the other has all the details for the tech.

The dealer should already have a printout of the PD, but if not, he can get it from TechInfo. The service department certainly can, if not the sales department.

7. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"96610)</div>
    A bit off topic, but is it just me that notices a rather large number of rear license plate frames tend to obscure the state name on the license plate?

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, that's why they are becoming illegal.

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So when they move on to the next license plate design, rather than adjust the location of the state's name so it isn't so close to the edge of the plate, we just make the frames illegal. Goverment in action.