1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Whistling sound

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jinseng, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your updates are great....Thanks and let's see what this "mystery" whistle is....I hear voices in my head but no whistling in my Prius thus far... :)

The results will be interesting pending the review by the Factory Tech....

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jinseng, do you also have window tinting, like Cal Prius?

It's possible that in itself is the culprit. If for some reason the tinting is not allowing the window to fully seal when closed.

Just a thought. Hope you get it fixed soon!

3. Jinseng

Jinseng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope, nothing aftermarket at all. The only accessories I got with the vehicle are all-weather floor and cargo mats (really like them), first aid kit, and cargo net (both the first aid kit and cargo net were part of an accessory package that Toyota assigned to the car (I really wish they wouldn't do that, but that's for another thread :)). So there's nothing "extra" attached to the outside of the car (no bumper applique or paint protection film).

Thanks for the thought though.

4. Jinseng

Jinseng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed something last night as I was getting out of the car (in the daylight) that I wanted to include in this thread...

I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before, but now my driver's door is out of alignment. The top right corner of the door is sucked into the car about 1/4", so it doesn't close flush to the top left corner of the rear door. I'm guessing that the dealer adjusted the door alignment in an attempt to make a tighter seal along the top of the door, but it's strange I didn't notice it before.

Tomorrow when I speak with the district/regional factory technician I'm going to point this out to him/her and let them know that it needs to be readjusted to be flush with the rear door. Especially since making that adjustment didn't correct the issue.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

5. Omni-TaG

Omni-TaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Guys and girls !

These are doors and windows adjustements. They should be done in factory as part of the quality control, but some times QC is not perfect. I had air infiltrations - passenger mirror area, between door frame and A-pillar. I went to my dealer and half an hour later it was history. When asking, they said they just adjusted door latch displacement.

Still i have to admit that this "scotch-tape" trick posted up here is totally and simply genius ! Bravo to the one who had the idea and thanks to the one who posted it.

6. Jinseng

Jinseng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The whistling sound may be corrected. Yay!

Yesterday I brought the vehicle into the dealer and met with a District rep and District Technician from TMS. Both were very professional, reassuring and interested in listening to my concerns (not only about the whistling and door adjustment, but other things as well).

After looking at and discussed the door alignment, the technician drove my vehicle with me in the passenger's seat and the district rep in the back seat. Of course we were able to reproduce the sound and both the tech and I heard it. One thing the tech did that I didn't think to do and I don't know if anyone else did was to pull in the side mirror. That immediately stopped the noise. When he pushed it back out the noise came back again.

This lead us to believe that although the sound seemed to come from around the top of the window, it may have to do with airflow around or through something lower. He told me that he would use the tape technique to narrow down the issue.

A few hours later he called me to show me where he was with the vehicle and explain what he found. He determined that the noise was coming from the area where the vertical part of the front upper door frame meets the lower part of the rest of the door, under the exterior window sill molding. The proximity of the mirror to this area explains why folding in the mirror made the sound go away. He told me that using tape on this 2” long area he could turn the whistle on and off like a light switch.

He informed me that there’s a small piece of foam tucked inside this area that’s about 1.5” long or so. By replacing that foam with a similar but longer piece it seems as though he corrected the issue. He test drove the vehicle and wasn’t able to reproduce the sound, but left the service order open so I could test it more because traffic and wind conditions got to be such that he didn’t feel he could accurately reproduce the driving conditions that lead to the noise.

Last night after driving home in traffic, I took it out for a spin on the open road and wasn’t able to reproduce the sound. Sometime after the rain stops I’ll drive it more to confirm again that it’s not whistling.

He also re-aligned the door frame, so now it’s just about correct. It’s actually a tiny bit out from where it should be and still doesn’t quite match the passenger’s side. However, it looks much better than it was before and I’m going to live with it for a little bit before deciding if it’s worth it to have them try to readjust it again.

I’ll follow up with the results of my additional driving tests. Also, I’ll try to take some pictures to better show where the issue was and what he did.

2 people like this.
  7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is great to hear. Thanks again for taking the time to write this all up... others that may have the same problem will benefit in the future.

8. Omni-TaG

Omni-TaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    @ Jinseng

Yep my friend it would be nice to have some photos of the affected area regarding those "air infiltrations" since a lot of P owner seems to have the same problem.

Thank you very much for your post.

9. Jinseng

Jinseng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had another opportunity to drive the car last night and yup, the whistle is gone! :)

As promised here are pictures. I've included pics of both the driver's side where the fix was done, and the passenger's side for reference. I highlighted the relevant areas of the pictures.

Location of Driver's side whistling sound:
    Location of Driver's side whistling.jpg

Exterior closeup of Whistle Location with foam highlighted (It's hard to see, but it is there):
    Exterior closeup of Whistle Location with foam highlighted.jpg

Interior view of the foam highlighted:
    Interior view of foam highlighted.jpg

Passenger's side showing no foam (for reference):
    Passenger's side showing no foam.jpg

Interior view of Passenger's side without foam (again for reference):
    Interior view of Passenger's side without foam.jpg

I hope they're helpful, and please let me know if you have questions or want me to take more pictures from different angles.

Thank you to everyone who posted suggestions. I think one of the biggest lessons I learned in this process was that a noise can come from a different location than where it sounds like it's coming from. Everyone who drove my car thought it was coming from the top of the driver's window even thought it was coming from closer to the bottom front of the window. So all the suggestions about Windshield, front grill, wiper arms, etc could all have been possible.

The tape idea is a great one. I prefer the blue painter's tape (maybe even the 60 day removal kind) because it's thin, leaves less residue, and peels off easily.

Thanks again, and I hope this thread is helpful to anyone else who has a similar issue.

2 people like this.
  10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now,
    Take this one in a hundred Tech's a box of doughnuts or something in the morning or something similar. He or she will appreciate it, and they deserve it.

11. Olette49

Olette49 Junior Member

Model:
    II
    I too am not happy with the wind noise coming from the driver's side window. I notice it particularly between 45 and 55 mpg. as i just returned from a long trip with my husband driving, so was in the passenger seat for an extended time, i can say with confidence that something is not properly seated on the driver's side. i am planning to talk to the dealer about it, but am not overly optimistic. disappointing for me too, having sold a quiet 1997 Honda Accord with 120,000 miles on it. while i'm generally happy with the car (gas mileage, comfort of seats, handling), the other things that annoy me are: JBL text truncated and the incomprehensible heating/a-c.

12. dwood

dwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the right kind of windy day the driver's side of my 2007 sounds like a nest of baby birds chirping madly for food!