1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius won't go into gear.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chrisengst, May 9, 2010.

1. rustedbugs

rustedbugs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ..........and I promise to check my spelling next time I post!

sorry!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As with robassable, please post your issues in the 2nd gen section as yours is a 2nd gen. Adding comments here on a 3rd gen forum just potentially causes extra confusion and 2nd gen owners don't necessarily look here.

3. pistolpete730

pistolpete730 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just started a taxi job and have encountered this problem 3 times already in the two shifts I've done. The first time it happened was the first time I started it up on the first shift. I even had an experienced driver come over to tell me what I was doing wrong and he didn't know and said to just restart it. I also asked a different driver and he said that had never happened to him before! (Drive different cars each shift. Plus, our fleet has two different models, I believe, but I think one of the models is the 2010, if that makes any difference.) It feels as if there's sort of two "start-ups" that you go through when starting the car and Im wondering maybe if one of these "shuts off" if you walk too far away from the car? Because that's the only constant from the 3 times it's happened to me. I got out of the car, but still had it running. Do I need to press the start button again? Why does this seem like such a mystery, even to seasoned prius drivers?!?

4. pistolpete730

pistolpete730 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ..to add to my previous reply... It seems as if most of the replies are of people who own one prius, but this happened to me in multiple priuses, so suggestions of faulty switches or that the dealer has to look at it doesn't really make sense to me. It happened in two different cars that people drive everyday.

5. pistolpete730

pistolpete730 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey, I just started at a taxi company that uses all Priuses and I've had this problem 3 times in my first two shifts. And I was using different Priuses, not the same one. I know for sure that it isn't the Hill Start Assist because I've never activated that and know what it would show if I did. The only constant I can think of is each of the 3 times I got out of the car while it was running. But, I also got out many other times while it was running and I had no such problem getting it into gear. I'm just really confused because I asked two seasoned drivers and they didn't seem to know what it was. And I come here and no one seems to have an answer other than "check your dealer." It must be something about the start button because it seems as if you have to press it twice to turn it on in the first place. Could the 'key not detected' warning deactivate one of the "start-ups?"