1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New radiator or unclog a partially clogged one?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ttou68, May 22, 2020.

1. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you, and I was able to get full circulation now...

Wasn't sure BlueDevile helped, because I found out there's still air in the system even after I thought I've got all the air out, but fluid does drain out much quicker!
    I ended up bleeding the system again while it's running at temperature ( over 180° ), and make sure water came out the bleeder steadily.
    Then I squeeze and hold the bottom radiator hose from thermostat to radiator and while close the bleeder valve, and that's how I got it to circulate in full circle... Now all hose attached to engine radiator are at the same temperature..
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great!
    I hope that has resolved the issue for you.

ttou68 likes this.
  3. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To make sure the basic point is not missed ... the problem explained to you at the auto parts store (makes sense to me) is due to MIXING of two INCOMPATIBLE coolants. That is pretty much the only thing not to do. Once you've got the problem, got vinegar in there, got some flush solvent in there, etc., the main thing to do is to get it cleared out as well as you can and then pick a coolant type (almost any one you like) and stick with it.

Once the system is 95+% drained and flushed, that last 5% may be tough to clear. At that point, continuous or continual flushing with hose water is about the only way to really get close to 100% cleared out. The hose water / tap water is not ideal, but it is far better than leaving contaminants in there.

ttou68 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for a data point:

When doing the EGR cleaning at the outset I drained just 2 liters. This was guesstimate, I was hoping to drain enough that the coolant level would be completely below the EGR system. Turned out good, no spillage when EGR cooler hoses pulled off. There was an ounce or two trapped at lower back corner of cooler. It surprised me at first, but I only spilled maybe a tablespoon, added the rest to the previous drain.

After I was done, I poured all the drained coolant back in, with the vent valve open till coolant started out, then closed it. Spilled next to nothing. I also squeeze hoses during the fill process. When it was all poured back the level in the reservoir was at least 1/2" higher, maybe closer to an inch. After one or two days driving it settled back down to previous level (at full mark).

2012 Prius v wagon 3 and ttou68 like this.
  5. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been using distilled water instead of tap water...
    As many times it will take to get clear water! LOL... hopefully finishing up this afternoon!

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tap water really won't harm it. It would take a LONGGGGG time to harm it.
    Doesn't hurt to use just distilled water though. 2 or 3 flushes would be enough.
    And you should use the Toyota coolant. That is what the car is designed to us.
    Why risk using something else and screw up all the hard work and pain you've already gone through???? :)

7. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    back in the day, tap water is all we use...
    Since distilled water is cheap enough and I've already bought it...
    5 gallons of distilled water total, and was running on 1 and half gallons of Toyota coolant after flush...
    Checked coolant after drove back from work, to find coolant reservoir is down to half from full, I guess there's still air in the system...

Thought I got most of the air out yesterday... Hummm...

#27 ttou68, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost everytime, you'll have to add some coolant after the engine cools.
    That is why you're suppose to check it. :)
    Just fill it to the top part of the "full" line, while on level ground. Then check it after it
    cools from the next time you drive it a distance.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's reassuring if it's dropped after a drive; it's working out the air pockets.