1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New RAV-4 Hybrid owner!

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by 05PreeUs, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer does not use Toyota oil. Not sure if they use OEM filter either. Even if they use OEM oil and filter, I am sure their bulk cost are much less than retail. Many dealer have special price on oil change as a bait for someone to bring a car into the shop.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! A nice marketing stuff for Toyota. You'd be a nice salesman kind of.:D

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd look at a diesel option if the efficiency/reliability/TCO was there...and it wasn't a VW byproduct.

audiodave likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Diesels are the only ICE in the US to have 100% renewable fuel available for them. A station chain in California sells second generation biodiesel that is a direct replacement for the petroleum diesel. To say that for gasoline cars, you have to move to Brazil.

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 week update....

Well there are a few things that we DO NOT like about the RAV4:
    - You cannot lock the doors with gloves or mittens on, who the H#LL designed this system????
    - The hatch does not open high enough to avoid hitting your head if you are 5' 10" or taller :(
    - Windshield squirter nozzles are prone to freezing due to their location
    - The lane departure warning system gets totally confused in the snow
    - You cannot set the cruise for a SLOWER road speed without turning it off first
    - The fuel gauge lies, you thought the Prii gauges were "bad"... they are very accurate in comparison :(
    - Airflow to the feet is poor, wear winter boots in the cold or your feet will freeze
    - The Human Interface (touchscreen) apps are no better than the Worst In Class, Ford Sync system
    - How the central lock system works, is ... just ... BAD

What we like:
    - FE is GREAT, we consistently beat the EPA numbers (duh, yes, paper and pencil)
    - Handling is very good!
    - The AWD system is good, it's no Subaru, but better than most of the competition in this segment
    - Seating is VERY comfortable on long trips (like 10 hrs/day) :)
    - The TSS (Toyota Safety System) does a GREAT job of maintaining safe following distances with the cruise on
    - The engine warms up FAST even in below zero weather :)
    - Radio reception is far above average (distance from transmitter and sound clarity)
    - Steering controls are easy to use
    - GREAT headlights, to the point that you really never need the high beams
    - The auto-dimming high beam system is flawless
    - One-touch turn signal system for lane changes is configurable :)
    - Dash vents are effective and easily adjusted to desired airflow direction and volume
    - Visibility is far superior to segment norms
    - Legroom for all passengers is very good for the EPA size

Overall, it is a nice driving vehicle that has many well designed features. But, Toyota completely missed the boat on the hatch, locks and footwell heat.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For #1, have you tried palming the door handle to lock via SKS? (I assume you're talking about locking with SKS?)

upload_2018-1-13_12-4-51.png

I have the touch sensors on my Gen 3 Prius and if I wear ski gloves, they're too thick to lock via the touch sensors so I use my palm to touch the face of the handle to get a closer contact point through the thinner part of the gloves.

7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing you do with the gloves/mittens on (thick enough for below zero temps) will lock or unlock the doors, based on our experiences.

You either take the remote out of your pocket or purse, remove the hand covers and depress the button, or just touch the door handle with no covers on. Either way, it's a stupid design....

Even Ford has figured out how to lock all the doors before they are all closed, you would think Toyota could do the same.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or... press the LOCK side of the power door lock switch with your gloves on ;).

Well Toyota had the button lock which would've worked with gloves but they went with a touch sensor for 2nd gen SKS.

scona, gamma742 and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You ain't getting that remote out of your pocket with gloves or mittens on!

It's JUST STUPID the way the remote un/lock system works on these newer vehicles.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I may 05PreeUs...

The one I got the Wife is the 2017 Limited with all the bells and whistles...and she's very happy. Me...the whole sound system sucks and Entune is a joke, but I think all Toyota sound systems suck. The rear hatch could go a little higher, but she's shorter and has no complaints. We have no problem with foot heat, but the windshield washer nozzles do freeze up (like our other cars) if you don't use a winter fluid. A good trick I learned in CO is to use diluted alcohol in a squirt bottle. Have not tried to open the doors with gloves on, but that's seldom an issue for me in "our" part of TX. ;)

Never had a perfect car, but my overall view of this vehicle is it's the best compromise for our needs at this time.

#50 frodoz737, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I know. I meant the switch on the door panel. Press that! You can press that with gloves on, can't you?

scona likes this.
  12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, we tried that, but the moment a door closes, all the doors unlock :(

Do not misunderstand, we REALLY like our new RAV4, but no vehicle is "perfect".

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    That doesn't sound right... By design. My ole 08 Prius I can lock this way and close the door and it remains locked.

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That almost sounds like it detected the key (fob) in the car.

gamma742 likes this.
  15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, we just have not been able to figure out why. Both fobs were outside the car, one thing we did not try was to just walk away and see if they relocked when the fobs were out of range.

I also noticed that the fob range is way short, I suspect to guard against signal theft, which has become quite a problem.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Try the Panic Button. Mine works from my bedroom. Nice feature to scare someone away from your house late night. I keep mine on the nitestand

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious. How big is the fob for RAV4? Is it as big as the current Prius line? Same shape? I am in market for a new car, and RAV4 is one on my list to check out. It won't be a deal breaker, but I would like the smaller fob than the one I now have for PRIME.

18. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost identical to the GEN2 Prius one.

Don't know about the fob size relative to a Prime, but the RAV4s are good vehicles for sure!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I don't know the size of Gen2 fob, but I had Gen3, so it is probably smaller than current Gen4 Prius (including Prime) fobs. You said you get better than EPA mileage. What is the number like during winter month?

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh god, did they change the locking feature? That's silly. It used to unlock all the doors only if it detected a key inside (key lockout protection). Otherwise, you could lock the doors and close it after you closed all the other doors (that's the key. If you press LOCK and then close the front door while there's another door open, it'll unlock).

Yeah the fob range on the SKS fobs are short. My Gen 3 has a short range which limits the benefit of the Remote A/C function. Our 2002 Camry had a nice long range but of course no SKS.

Smaller. The Gen 4 key is larger (imo) than the Gen 2. The Gen 3 is the smallest SKS fob. (Gen 1 is tiny but no SKS - just remote lock/unlock and trunk open)