1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New ride Prius 4 with sunroof...Miata gone

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by hyhi, Dec 2, 2016.

1. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully I did ok, picked up a left over 2016 model. Might have liked the a 2017 with extra safety features such as auto brake though hoped by doing a 2016 saved more money. It is black softtex, fake leather or whatever it really is...sales person made it sound like it had part leather. At any rate it is black interior and sea green exterior. Not a black interior fan though hopefully will hide the dirt a bit. A lot of the other interior color combos did not do it for me.

Sad to see the 2916 Miata ND GT go and really enjoyed the 1,500 miles I put on her the past almost four months. Unreal mpg on that 2.0 engine have to say and top down driving was really fun. I know a sunroof does not compare though I can look up through it and open it now and again. Have no sunroof on my other car.

Just seemed like a good deal and time seemed right to make the move even though I still have a 2007 highlander limited hybrid I will be keeping with 88k miles on her.

Could have got a base 2016 Three in Gray, nice color I felt, with black/white (gray sort of) softtex interior which started to grow on me though adaptive cruise control seemed like a nice feature to have and use over time so got the four.

It is still at the dealer. Had ten miles on her and drove it 3 more. Got them to toss in clear bra and did not want to drive it home before that is applied. Came with the extra two year maintenance coverage and got tire warranty for five years also. Hope the tint they installed is not too dark for night driving.

Will have to hang my head low when I next post on the Miata forum. Maybe in three years will pick one up again used at a much lower price.
    Ride safe all

#1 hyhi, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    RCO, Prodigyplace and krmcg like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! all the best.(y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, now I just have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week to pick her up. I do like that shade of green so that is a good thing.

bisco likes this.
  4. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! You're gonna love the car! It's suprising how many previous Miata owners post on this site.

krmcg likes this.
  5. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had a Prius 4 with sunroof before, older model. Main thing I recall was the steering felt really nice though not the seats. That plus the engine worked really hard up in the mountains. And it got crazy good mileage driving up and down the mountain passes in NC, not winter time, on way up to northern state. Recharged the pack many times that way driving up and down.

Of course back then Prius did not offer power seats so newbie Prius owners don't know the 'hard' life us prior Prius owners had back in the day...kidding mostly. It was red and tan leather, a very nice combo.

The new ND Miata is a gem of an engine and to sit in her looking out over the hood with the small fender flairs on each side cannot help but make one smile. So much fun and about the best motorcycle replacement one could ask for. Of course trade off is there is not much room inside her though she is designed for a single mission and none does it better at that price point.

I do enjoy the Prius feature of having a battery pack, space in the vehicle to actually put things inside and a bit surprised the weight seems about the same as the redesigned Miata.

Now to try out the three months free satellite radio and learn about the touch screen interface. Gald I get a hard copy manual. Only drive 3 miles to work so will see how she does gas wise. Maybe a road trip of a 1,000 miles is in order though air fare is so cheap now days...as are gas prices.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!
    Now you can update your Profile & not feel like an outsider any more. :D

7. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Felt at home prior, due to my highlander hybrid :)

pjm877 and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Other" just sounds so foreign...

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I believe the 2016 model you purchased has 100% of the safety features available on the 2017.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of the 2017 TSS-P safety features (Lane Departure Assist, Auto High Beams, & DRCC) were only available in the optional "Advanced Technology Package" in 2016.

RCO likes this.
  11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Exactly correct, but the model Hyhi purchased has that package-- as confirmed by the fact that he has a sunroof.

The confusion could have been because his salesman was not up on all the details -- as confirmed the fact that Softex options are 100 man-made.

#11 ATHiker, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I stand corrected. My quick reading of the brochure missed that the package included the sunroof.

13. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No real time to drive her much since picking her up this pass wednesday. Seems buying one with factory film on hood is better then dealer installed i would offer. Saw a few bad film cut lines under the front bummer area.

Of all the colors and interior combos i am happy with what i got. The dark window tint is bearable at night. Don't know, maybe i should have asked for the side door guards and mud flaps though not taken with the side guards too much.

Dealer said no way to turn off backup sound beeping inside the car on the 2016 model so that sort of sucks. Will have to look at the manual this weekend. Then try to figure out a good combo of screen, current mpg read out, total mpg which seems to be on screen already.

Does not seem the shifter knob liters at night nor the above light beam shine on it per say.

14. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah, I turned my to ONE Beep... is that not good enough... NO beep at all.... yea... but ONE beep like my04 I can live with..

RCO likes this.
  15. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great to hear. Will check the manual and this site

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer can do it. Some here have used techstream or carista to do it. The manual lists it on the customization page

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there from UK. The illumination for the shifter is located in the housing for the front interior lights. It's just a small aperture with an LED behind it and the light illuminates the centre console and just about catches the shifter. It's not very bright (they said that about me, too), but when the night is dark it's enough to see what's in the tray and cupholders plus see the the shifter, all without distracting you or taking your night vision. I think it only comes on with the car's external lights, but don't quote me on that.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seem to recall that, probably was not dark enough for me to notice it would shine on the shifter like before. Dealer changed it to one beep on backup no charge. Now I just need a long trip to make in my car lol. Well at least can do a 200 round trip one weekend day soon. Presently she is nice just driving around town.

For better or worst, I like to engage the brake mode if I know I will be coming to a stop ahead. Once a sales person showed me, well guess in my old age, reminded me how to easily switch from B to D mode I was pleased. For a moment there I thought Toyota changed how that lever working older model vs new one which prevented one form doing that.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many people find that things like using B mode can actually hurt fuel economy.
    The Prius software has got much better in the last few years. Many people find the best economy my just driving it like a regular vehicle.

RCO likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With regards to using the B Mode, your dealer and you are both mistaken. Gentle use of the brake pedal in D Mode is most efficient both for retardation and regeneration of propulsion battery charge. I am not alone on here in suggesting the B should only be used when descending a long steep hill, or similar when the battery is near fully charged. Using the B in the circumstances you quoted is likely to do more harm than good, to your mileage (as ProdigyPlace above said) and possibly even the car electronics.

krmcg and Prodigyplace like this.