1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Awesome! Now I need "pull an injector 101 for dummies" so I can get this fixed! Are there directions for this somewhere? My dealership says if there's a code, they'll fix it!

2. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Good suggestion but can you tell me how to do that?

3. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Send me a PM if you are interested in venturing into this "gray area".

1 person likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea best to keep it hush hush :eek: Private Messages are best.

Mike :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it give one of the codes listed in the bulletin?

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got my prius back and the T-SB applied. They even washed the engine compartment. :) The document didn't indicated they replaced the coolant though... the T-SB mentioned it. Oh well.

7. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

If done correctly, then yes.

8. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Where is the location of the DLC3 for 2010 Prius?
    I bought the Innova OBD2 Tool Model 3100. On sale for $90+tax. Is this a good one to keep? I only need basic or a little more than basic functions so I have the knowledge of what's wrong when a code comes up before saying yes to whatever the repair shop is throwing at me.

9. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OBD-II connector is right below the steering column. It's aimed on a downward angle pointed at the area under the seat.

The Innova tool is decent. I like to put scanners in several categories: codes only, data, data with graphing. I believe it will give you codes, emission monitors, data, but not graphing (which is useful for checking sensors). This is still a generic tool. An "enhanced" tool will show things specific to Toyota like HV battery voltage, let's say. But the OBD-II spec still requires ANY tool to do codes, monitors, and data.

1 person likes this.
  10. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, did the TSB fixed the issue? I have my RR Engine Mount replaced and I think the knocking is still there. I guess I have to wait til it gets colder to find out. I hate wasting another day at dealer only to tell me they can't duplicate the issue. Wish Toyota just have a recall on this issue rather than on case by case basis. Why didn't they change the manifold also.. Frustrating...

Thanks!

11. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The engine mount is only for extra vibration you'd feel on a dead cold start. It has nothing to do with the knock, except that Toyota classifies them both similarly. Seems to me like the dealer is copping out by replacing the motor mount first because it's the cheaper part probably.

On a different note, I'm not sure why the intake manifold TSB mentions coolant...to the best of my knowledge, it's not necessary to lose any coolant swapping the manifold.

12. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can beat you there. Try a dealer who will do neither.

13. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Haha. My dealer actually verified my "concern" with cold start harshness/vibration that I didn't even know I had :rolleyes:

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I only had the knock problem shortly after I got the car in Sept 09... nothing since. They did replace the intake manifold last weekend.

They did the engine mount two weeks ago and to me that had a pretty profound impact on the overall noise and vibration of the engine starting (mainly when it was cold).

If you are sure you had the cold start knock event (see the YouTube videos, it is pretty darn obvious), I would contact your Customer Relations Manager person at the dealership and tell him/her your concerns and point out the TSB. This is what got me traction in my case.

Good luck.

15. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Bought a new OBD tool but found no error code in the memory. So I must assume the problem never happened in the past two years. My concern still is if it happens this winter, then it will be over the 6000miles warranty period. By then, I'd have to pay for it out of my pocket. What is the chance that it will happen if it didn't occur in the past two years? Anyone has an idea?

16. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It may or may not show codes. You would know if it made the loud knocking / rattling noise. Mine never threw any codes but at times went on for ~20 + seconds.

Some 2010 – 2011 model year Prius vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions at
    initial engine start after cold soak in temperatures below 40±F (4.5±C):
    • MIL “ON†with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. and/or P0304.
    • Initially runs rough.
    • Loud engine knock or rattle noise.

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assume you meant 60,000 miles, yes? According to the T-SB it is good up to that. With that said, you should make sure that the event(s) are recorded at the dealership (noted in a service writeup). This may help in the future should it happen again and throw a code. You may have a legal leg to stand on at arbitration.

18. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Since my OBD tool found no existing code, the result will be the same when the dealer do the same thing. When the result is clear with no code showing, I'd have to pay $135 for their service. That sounds expensive just to have this logged in their system which in the future they may or may not honor the warranty.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ well you can do the gas cap or the coil thing to get a code. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't know why I'm so happy to hear the engine knocking again even though they replaced the engine mount. Maybe because I was able to record it on my phone and this time the knocking happened for a good 4 seconds and it was 55 degrees!!!! Toyota could've replaced both the mount and manifold when I was there. Now I have to go back again for the 4th time. This has been a total inconvenience.

Toyota - It's time to admit defect on manifold and have a recall!

Don't know how much or what kind of damage it's causing with the knocking but I suggest everyone who experiences the issue to file a complaint with NHTSA and with Toyota.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Email Toyota

1 person likes this.