1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like my old diesels.

G. G. likes this.
  2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, that example given above is better than what I pulled, however. Mine actually only made the initial rattle heard in that video and not the followup more serious-sounding knock, but I'm wagering all of the noise stems from the same pair of problems (the intake manifold and/or engine mount).

Here's mine in any case (I should've zoomed in further, but it wouldn't have yielded anymore information of course):

1 person likes this.
  3. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for posting that! That's the EXACT same noise my Prius was making! Did it take you showing them this video to get them to agree to replace intake manifold and engine mount? I have a feeling I'm going to have an uphill battle trying to get them to agree to fix this for me without being able to reproduce.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't made it in yet, as I've been delayed, but I'll let you know. Good luck with your dealer.

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they're being difficult alright. Decided they needed to keep it overnight to repeat it in the morning even after viewing the video evidence, which I think is a waste of time unless they follow the proper procedure (interrupt warm start, let sit in the cold for 5 hours), and there is still no guarantee it repeats. So now I paid for a rental while they keep it overnight to test the following morning...this will make me less likely to buy another Toyota unless they do right (and there is no other dealership in my vicinity).

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Worst fear came to reality. Can't repeat it, won't fix it.

I better trade it in before the value plummets.

7. antiglare

antiglare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just got off the phone with a service advisor from my local dealership. They stated ("no ifs, ands, or buts") that they must be able to repeat the problem in front of them for them to repair as per the TSB. This is for both the engine mount issue and the intake manifold issue.

They advised that the car be left overnight, or for multiple nights. If they still can't reproduce it, then the customer has basically wasted his time.

I'm not happy about these dealerships' contempt for customer satisfaction, at all. There has to be a better way to handle an issue like this.

8. mrnoyb

mrnoyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

There is most certainly a better way to resolve these customer issues. It's a factory recall to repair a known defect.

I'm not certain what's necessary to trigger a recall but apparently this issue doesn't rise to that level. :(

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suspect it will be harder for you all in the south to get these TSBs done since at least the engine mount is cold weather related. But we will find out when I go in I guess.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The value won't plummet.

Try a different dealer. Some dealers are happy to perform TSBs liberally, others much stricter. Some here got the TSB approved just with a phone call.

going red baby! likes this.
  11. antiglare

antiglare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Okay, just tried the same question with a 2nd local dealership and received the same response. They can do some disassembly to confirm that I have the defective part, but it would be at my own expense.

Basically, the problem needs to be induced and demonstrated in front of them. It appears that those of you who've had dealerships willing to go the extra mile to perform the repair without the demonstration are truly blessed, but in the minority :(

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you actually experienced the issue? I couldn't care less about this TSB as I live in an area where it's not cold enough to trigger the symptom and will never happen. It sounds like some of you want this TSB performed whether or not you've encountered this issue.

13. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually live in the southwest now (higher elevation), but winters get cold enough for this to be triggered. I don't think there's another dealership within 100 miles.

Guess I'll just retrigger the issue the only way I know how (using the warmup interruption method) until the damn thing blows, then Toyota can fork out a replacement for that.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think anybody has ever reported damage from this issue, even if triggered and prolonged for video recording purposes.

If I were you, I'd be a squeaky wheel and go up the chain. Remember everybody has a boss until you go all the way up to the CEO. They will give in at some point if you annoy them long enough. Works with insurance companies too, especially medical.

15. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let us (Prius chat members) get a document together so that the problem can be reproduced at will with detailed instructions.

Include the gas octane grade with gas station vendor.
    Include the start duration when interrupted, temperature, humidity and duration between starts to help everyone else produce it to the dealer.

With some charts I am sure we can come up with a good range of temps and duration between starts.

my2cents.

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^That might be good. Regular unleaded for me. I'd assume the start duration is interrupted at 20-30 seconds, but I'll test that again this evening.

Well, the cars are still relatively new, so I am reticent about making assumptions on long-term damage. Currently on hold at the moment with Toyota national where I intend to voice my dissatisfaction. I might try with the dealership, but National is giving me the same spiel. Yippee, it's documented and I have a case #. :rolleyes: The dealership is the only way to resolution, as national relies upon the discovery (or nondiscovery as it were) made by the service technicians.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I drove VWs and had problems, if they weren't resolved at the dealership, I went after VWoA. If they refused to do anything ( which was usually the case ), I went all the way to writing VAG in Germany. Now, they would tell me there wasn't anything they could do and refer me back to VWoA, but it wouldn't end there. Someone from VAG would raise hell with the VWoA people and the next thing you know, someone would get hold of me to resolve whatever the problem was.

18. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, one wonders if similar effectiveness would be achieved with Toyota of Japan. I am at the behest of my closest dealership reproducing the defect now.

What became of your old diesels exhibiting a similar problem, if you don't mind my asking?

19. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My bigger concern is the long-term effect this issue will have on the engine. I'm a 10-15 year, 250-300k driver, and if this is going to cause an issue 5 years in and wear the engine or damage components after years of exposure to this knocking in the cold, I don't want to keep this car and would rather trade it in for something that will last. It's stressing me out though, because I love the prius and there is no other car like it on the market!

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This engine knocking has only happened twice with me within the first 5000 miles until I learned on here that the main key to this is short-cycling the engine on its warmup cycle, such as a short drive from the driveway to the garage. Then the car cold soaks overnight. This has been reported by a majority of the people on here. Others have reported variations of this.

I have learned to always let the engine warm up once started. I have not had an issue since. Also, Tumbleweed reported that if it does happen floor the accelator and the knocking will immediately stop. This worked for me on the second incident.

I do not know if anyone knows for sure what long term damage is being done each time this happens. My opinion is that if it were doing serious damage that Toyota would be doing a recall and not a TSB.

2 people like this.