1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick way to lose $150.00 .......just say'in

SB6 likes this.
  2. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ugh you're probably right... I was about to call and see about cancelling that "diagnostic test" when they called me and said my car is ready. Before I could ask about what was done about the engine rattle, the lady hung up on me. Tried calling back but it keeps looping me through the same automated answering service menu... What's more is that they're supposed to close at 5, but the lady called me at 5:05... o_O But the automated answering service says they're busy, not that they're closed

#1022 SB6, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Make sure you note that it is experiencing the symptoms and have them document your request for them to repair it in their system.

4. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So it looks like they actually changed the egr valve for me. It's not letting me edit my previous posts, but yeah.

I had to take my car to the dealership for some airbag and software recalls. I asked if there were any recalls for engine rattle, as I'd been hearing engine rattle on cold starts. Like a I mentioned a couple posts back, the service advisor told me that there was something for the egr valve, but they would need to run a diagnostic test first. If that turned out not the be the issue, then I'd have to pay a $150 diagnostic fee. If it was the problem, then they'd cover it. They called me back very quickly to pick up my car, so I had assumed they didn't do it. But apparently they did change the egr valve. I haven't driven the car much since then, except for driving it back home yesterday, but so far I haven't heard any engine rattle.

Tande likes this.
  5. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was wondering if anyone has some TSB's for a 2013 Prius. I have gone to Wyoming and big bear noticed that there is a loud knocking noise for 3-10 sec after a cold start.

6. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some, not including the one in the original post in this thread, which was withdrawn:

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk and Bill Norton like this.
  7. Tamas Patai

Tamas Patai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and sorry for my English (I'm from Hungary).
    I have the good old knocking occured on my 2010 Gen3 since last week. It has 315k kms / 200k miles in it. The car was serviced properly in the Netherlands in her first 7 years, I bought it one year ago. Last year - 10k miles before - my official Toyota-service-dealership changed my fluids, spark plugs, filters. Last month the same Toyota-service changed the oil. I have 0w20 in it and no loss of oil at all. I use the car for daily 2x10 miles driving, and sometimes shorter, sometimes longer trips.
    The knocking suddenly came in one afternoon last week. Oil and coolant looks clear, I have heating, and I have no error codes, but sometimes I have white smoke coming from exhaust, only after knocking. I took it to Toyota for a diagnosis, and the computer only can see "invalid burning in the engine" on those moments when it's knocking.
    At first look, they said, it's like like bad gasoline: contaminated with diesel or water - or coolant leaks into the engine, which cause this contamination. I filled my tank at Shell, using 95 octane gasoline.
    They assume it can also be a coolant leaking from EGR-cooler, but it wasn't tested. Probably, the coolant leaks into the returned exhaust gas, and gets into the manifold through the EGR, and so on.
    I plan to do the EGR - EGR-cooler - intake manifold cleaning this weekend, and I will do a pressure test on the cooler.

There is one strange thing I realized, and I haven't seen anyone on this forum with the same experience (or just haven't read back enough), so I share with you, and ask your opinion then:

If I drive 10 miles or more at higher speed, then switch to electric mode for 2-3 minutes, then switch back to petrol engine, the knocking occurs again = I suppose something "collected" in EV mode, and "released" into the burning area when the motor switches on again.
    If I stop the car with hot engine (10k miles or more), and leave it to rest for a few minutes or overnight, the knocking also occurs.
    If I stop the car with hot engine (10k miles or more), and IMMEDIATELY open the hood and open the coolant reservoir cap, some pressure will come out with a hiss, and some coolant returns to the reservoir = next start the car will start fine without knocking (!).

So my logic said the hot coolant system pressure is enough force the coolant through on a leak, and it would reach the engine.
    There is no noticeable coolant loss - however, I only have 250 miles driven since the first knocking.

What are the possible locations for a coolant-leak?

- head gasket ?
    - EGR cooler ?
    - throttle body?
    - else?

Thank you for reading this.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking head gasket but not that knowledgeable. A leak-down test would pinpoint?

Good reporting by the way.

Tamas Patai likes this.
  9. Tamas Patai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi there,
    I've made the cleanings for intake, egr, egr cooler. Also checked spark plugs for any signs of head gasket failure. System wasn't so coaled as I expected, the spark plugs looks perfect and no difference between them. EGR cooler pressure test was negative for leaking.
    I'm confused now, what the heck makes my knocking..? I ordered a bottle of K-Seal, next week I'll give a try.
    Anyway, there must be a coolant leaking somewhere, because some capuccino showed up under my throttle body, and looks like it came through the U-shaped pipe connected to PCV.

Attached Files:

10. Tamas Patai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Update: knocking disappeared.I'm afraid it will come back when the bottom of the intake fills with capucciono again.
    Instead of knocking, I have some water-flowing-sound heard from driver seat, when the petrol engine turns on.

11. pjpesanka

pjpesanka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just stumbled upon this thread after trying to start my 2010 Prius and hearing a horrendous noise from under the hood. Came back inside to scour the intetwebs and filmed the following the next morning. The previous night I ran the car for less than a minute to move it in the driveway. Temperatures were low 30s F dropping to mid 20s.
    When I filmed this I shifted from P to N right before you see the big shake and the worst of the noise go away.

12. PRI6080

PRI6080 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So if my vehicle is doing just ONE of these, and I live in CA(extended warranty ), do they replace the intake manifold free of charge?

#1032 PRI6080, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  13. hotelprisoner

hotelprisoner Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Head gasket. Coolant tank is empty.

14. Longboardluv

Longboardluv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my 2014 prius v has 72k miles Started getting a cylinder 1 miss fire error code. Also a knock during start up. Looked in cylinder 1 and it's wet with coolant ! Anyone have this issue?

15. cmderks93

cmderks93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you still have no knocking anymore? I have the same knocking sound as you described with transition from EV mode to ICE, only with fully warmed up engine, only when drove for about 10+kms on ICE. Only had the problem this winter (when below about 5 degrees C)And i have the idea the problems is more worse when its high humidity, like mist or rain. No problems at all last summer.

The dealer had (warranty) cleaned EGR system, Cooler, Intake manifold, there was not much oil/ water (where you had your capuccino) on the throttle body. They dont know how to fix it now.

The " I have some water-flowing-sound heard from driver seat, when the petrol engine turns on." does my car also.
    Thought is is normal when starting the electrical water pump?

16. Tamas Patai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi!
    I cleaned EGR system, manifold, then installed an Oil Catch Can, applied K-Seal in the cooling system, and I'm using premium gasoline for every second full tank. I can say now: it looks like all my problems have gone, but 'flowing sound' is still there sometimes. No smoke, no knock, no water or oil consumption or contamination.
    I wrote 'it looks like' because I'm not sure if I had a bad head gasket or not, and I don't know if/when the problems would come back.
    I think the OCC is the most important: no engine likes to burn that stuff what OCC can filter down.

'Flowing sound' is definitely not normal, I never had it before. It occurred first, when I drained the coolant before EGR system cleaning, and pour it back then. It was quite cold outside when I made the air breathe-out, and probably my cooling fan was not turned on, so some air is still in the system.
    I would do a coolant flush soon, so I can live with that now.

17. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Just ridiculous. It works. I'm not sure what it means, but it works.

I think it obviously isn't solving the underlying problem, but if something is over-pressurizing your coolant system (like a head gasket failure) this o-ring thing seems to fix the problem.

gliderman likes this.
  18. Tamas Patai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I'm sure that's a working solution. When I had my problems, I did pressure-releases after every drive, then next starts would fine.
    However, pressure in the coolant system is important: coolant boils higher temperature under pressure, which prevents the system from overheating.
    So it's working, but not advised.

19. Abdi85

Abdi85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    IV
    Hi i had engine knock my prius plus and i wen dealer thay said egr problem thay changed and my car still engine knock and went back to the dealer they have said inlet manafold and they cleaned up and i still have the problem what do i do please thanks

20. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    EGR cooler/headgasket

Pixel XL ?

Raytheeagle likes this.