1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Sirus Satellite Radio options.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the update.
    The SCVDOC1 will control a device via the MFD? That actually sounds very interesting.

Either way, I am headed to CES this year and I will poke around the Sirius booth for details.

2. phoenixmike

phoenixmike New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1 person on this thread and 1 person on another thread have commented that they are using the SC-C1 now. Do you have to get the TOY-SC1 for the SC-C1 to work properly? I want to get the SC-C1 for my girlfriend for Christmas, but I noticed that the TOY-SC1 doesn't come out until January. How are some able to use it now?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1 person in this thread admited to either being in the business or having good connections. *shrug*

My only distributer is Directed Electronics and being the HUGE company they are I would assume they would have the product rather quickly. Maybe some other sources got them faster? :(

The SCC1 is a universal device so they may be using it for something else? Maybe one of those using it right now could shed some light for us?

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The third way is the currently available Toyota Sirius kit. This is a "first generation" unit, and as described in the other thread has some limitations (10 character display, no "overpass cutout" protection).

5. Linda513

Linda513 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I guess what you are saying is the $720 that the dealer charged me for the Sirius plus installation was a rip-off.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it has the words "dealership charged me" in it then yes you got ripped off. :(

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I hope he at least bought you dinner before he *$#%@!!ed you.

9. phoenixmike

phoenixmike New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone heard any updates on when the TOY-SC1 will be available for purchase?

10. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am at CES, and asked around...and got nothing but blank stares :(

11. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    >>>Has anyone heard any updates on when the TOY-SC1 will be available for purchase?<<<

I have been in touch w my local stereo place- I informed them of the product in Nov.- as others they had been told Oct then Dec then Jan now the word is Feb. 15'th.

He said you might as well go ahead & get the toyota one if you want it now.

I think I will wait another month or 3 to see if it is vaporware or not.

Steve

12. kubu420

kubu420 New Member

Has anyone tried the LEXTOYSIR2 (in combination with the SC-C1) as a viable "replacement" for the TOY-SC1?

According to a couple of websites, the LEXTOYSIR2 is compatible with a large number of model years of Toyotas, including 2003-2008 Prius. And it will display 16 characters.

It runs around $230, so it appears to be significantly more expensive than the TOY-SC1 (assuming the pricing listed earlier in this thread when, and if, it ever comes to market is correct).

My wife is a tad tired of waiting to have Sirius in the Prius, so I think we're going to bite the bullet and purchase the LEXTOYSIR2 and SC-C1. Once we get it and I install it, I'll report back. We're ordering Friday and hopefully we'll have it so I can install it the weekend of Jan. 18th.

If anyone actually has already used this and would like to chime in, I know I'd greatly appreciate it.

13. phoenixmike

phoenixmike New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Kubu,
    Did you ever buy and install the LEXTOYSIR2? How did it work out?

14. kubu420

kubu420 New Member

Sorry to keep everyone waiting on this info. Hope you weren't holding your breathe! ;) I had my dates wrong. In any case, we received both units last week and did the install yesterday afternoon.

End result? It works perfectly! This is in an '08 Pkg. #6 model.

I opted to access the back of the factory radio following the "quick" method posted somewhere on these forums where you take out the glovebox (which is super easy) and take off the vent panel (also easy) to the right of the display.

However, what is NOT easy is trying to remove the factory wiring harness via this method! There is little room behind the stereo to reach your arm, squeeze the release clip on the wiring harness and pull it out (without yanking on the wires themselves). Removal of the factory wiring harness literally took me 40 minutes. I was on the verge of giving up when I finally got it out. I would recommend disassembling the dash in order to remove the stereo instead of what I tried.

In any case, this is how the set up works. The LEXTOYSIR2 comes with two Y-adapters (one is 12 pin the other 20 pin; the '08 Prius uses the 20 pin) for use in whichever Toyota model you might have, a Sirius tuner interface cable and the LEXTOYSIR2 unit.

So, you simply unplug the factory wiring harness, connect that to the Y-adapter from the kit and then connect the other arm of the Y into your factory stereo (where you unplugged the factory wiring harness). Connect the stem of the Y to the LEXTOYSIR2. Then, connect the Sirius interface cable to the LEXTOYSIR2 and connect the other end to the SC-C1 tuner. Connect the Sirius antenna (included with the SC-C1) to the SC-C1 and you're done (well, until you activate your subscription with Sirius)!

We mounted the antenna on the roof behind the regular antenna. We used velcro strips to adhere the LEXTOYSIR2 to the left side of the "wire box" that is present behind the panel we removed (located to the right of the display). The SC-C1 is simply resting in the main glove box. This works out for us since we don't have anything in the glove box besides the Prius manuals. And, the glove box has two little holes at the base of it that allowed us to run the antenna into the SC-C1 and the Sirius interface cable out to the LEXTOYSIR2.

As far as functionality goes, it is limited when compared with face-plate units, like the Starmate. That means you cannot store/receive notifications of songs, artists, events, etc. You also do not have the "Jump" feature nor can you see lists of songs/artists currently playing on all the other stations.

What you do get though, is the factory integration, 18 presets (6 on SAT1, 6 on SAT2 and 6 on SAT3), steering wheel controls and 16 character display.

The one thing I would change about the whole thing is ordering the SC-C1 tuner from a different vendor. We paid ~$70 for it and I found it elsewhere Sunday night (after the install, of course) for half that.

15. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How much & where did you have to pay for the unit?

Steve

16. kubu420

kubu420 New Member

I ended up getting both units from a place called (get this): logjamelectronics.com (insert Big Lebowski reference here).

The LEXTOYSIR2 was $230. This is also carried by Crutchfield, but they haven't had it in stock, so I went with logjam since it was the only other place I could find that carried it.

I also bought the SC-C1 tuner from logjam. It was $70. The SC-C1 (according to logjam) is required for use with the LEXTOYSIR2. I now know that you can find the SC-C1 at CircuitCity for $35. Ouch.

17. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks-

The DEI unit is supposed to be about $135ish- But at this point is vaporware.
    I suspect it will be built at some point as one on this board has a pre prod unit in his car.
    Might have to go for this unit.

Steve

18. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW- do you have the JBL or non unit in yours?

Will the connection to the head unit be the same? On the website for the LEXTOYSIR2 it does not specify JBL or non for this part.

Steve

19. kubu420

kubu420 New Member

Yeah, we thought we'd try to hold out for that DEI unit since it was so much cheaper, but in the end we just didn't want to wait for it.

Anyway, yep, we have the JBL system. Of course, I *believe* it will work with both JBL/non-JBL factory stereos, since they do not mention it on their website.

To be relatively sure, I would go to Crutchfield and enter your car type, find the LEXTOYSIR2 and see if Crutchfield indicates that it is compatible with your vehicle. If Crutchfield's site indicates that it is, then I (personally) would proceed without worry.

20. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This was the best heads-up I've gotten in a while. I Got the SC-C1 at Circuit City for $38.27 the other night! That is a deal. I've got an order in for the TOY-SC1 from DogStar, their intro price is $49.99.
    Add that up and it means $90.oo will buy a factory-integrated, 16-character, Sirius Satellite solution for the Prius!

The other factory Integrated options have been way over priced, IMHO, so I've held off until now. This will end up doing what costs as much as $800 bucks from the dealer. Of course, the interface hasn't actually shown up yet, but I'm being patient. I called Directed Electronics customer service and they told me ETA was Feb. 18, and available the 22cd. They claimed the delay was emphasis on meeting Christmas demand for what they did have, the SCC1, and the time required to ramp up production on the new interface.

We'll see. I'll post when I get it.