1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New solar panel technology announced

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Begreen, Apr 22, 2006.

1. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Work done over the last two years indicates that panels can be produced in commercial volumes at a cost of about R 500 for a 50 Watt panel. This is much cheaper than existing solar panels available on the market. CIGS is a remarkably stable material and conversion efficiencies should be sustainable for 15-20 years in any given panel."

R500 = $82 to power a porch light? I can hardly wait.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Apr 24 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]244706[/snapback]</div>
    $82 paid upfront to power a porch light for 15-20 years. Replace your incandescent lights with new white LED lighting, and light up however many rooms your family is using. Of course, you'd also need batteries (and possibly an inverter) to do this at night.

But I think that was a flash in the pan, like others have said. CIGS has been around a long time, and other companies, like Daystar and Energy Conversion Devices are producing thin-film solar panels. The article never really said what was so unique about that particular design (trade secrets apparently).

nerfer

3. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Apr 24 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]244675[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking wind turbines also. I believe France is shooting for 20% wind generated energy in their mix.