1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New speakers, what Amp do I need?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Vari0us, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Vari0us

Vari0us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 Prius 2 here, I recently treated myself to a new jvc head unit and a set of new Rockford fasgate door speakers and memphis audio dash corner speakers. In the front doors they are component speakers, so there’s a sub and a tweeter in there, and the dash speakers are just full range spekers. The back doors are just full range fasgate speakers. When I crank the volume, as I do frequently, the sound quality takes a nosedive. I assume the way to fix this is with a new amplifier, but I have no idea what kind I need. How many channels, how many watts, and what is going to get me the most out of my fancy new speakers?? Any helpgeezgreatly appreciated!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This does not compute.

SFO likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The cheapest fix would probably be going back over the speaker installation and adding a bit of glue and insulation here and there to reduce rattles and sympathetic vibration. Your speakers are probably making great sound, but they may also be causing a part of the door to vibrate almost as loud and with far less control, which muddies up the sound badly.

The loudest fix would be adding a 4-channel amplifier, something north of 50W per channel. You would use one channel per door. The front door speaker would be wired in parallel with the same-side tweeter. (You are probably already wired like that for the JVC)

The bump-est fix would be adding a powered subwoofer. That way the door speakers don't have to work nearly as hard to produce bass sounds- they aren't very good at it anyway. A sub has the physical size to produce those sounds easily, and with a built-in amp it's relatively easy to install. This removes much of the workload from the JVC built-in amps, so they will sound much better driving the new RFs.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think it is even more likely that the distortion is from having speakers of the wrong impedance for the amp in the radio.

I suggest a visit to a respected "custom car audio" shop in the area.