1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New "standard" model difficult to find?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by toronado455, Nov 9, 2007.

1. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does anyone know what percentage of 2008 Prius production will be the new "standard" model (MSRP $20950)?

I searched Longo's inventory and see that out of 54 2008 Prius in stock, none of those are the new "standard" model. Will this be like a loss leader that you can never find or will there be more of them available as we get further into the production run for the 2008 model year?

Also, as it gets closer to the debut of the new, redesigned 2009 Prius, will the outgoing 2008 get incentives or rebates or other dealer discounts? If so, will they be discounting the more heavily optioned ones more - such that it makes more sense to get one of those instead of the low-end "standard" model?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no idea but you could always order one if you wanted it.

3. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 8 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]537146[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if Prius' are getting more and more trendy so dealerships are ordering more equipped versions to try to continue to attract those buying them for status rather than economy? I'll admit I may fall in to that group. I own 3 other vehicles and really only bought the Prius because I thought the "technology was cool" and "had to have one". Sorry to say that, but I can say my Prius has replaced my 12mpg normal commuter car. I probably only drive my other vehicles once every couple of weeks now. My wife and I have even taking the Prius out when we take the kids out. It actually has more room in the rear seat than my big SUV. I suppose I can at least say I'm helping reduce emissions even though my intentions may not be as pure as others on this site.

4. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 8 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]537150[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on the dealer.
    Just searching the Longo inventory for 2008 Prius today I see:

3 - $23,383
    13 - $23,759
    12 - $23,958
    2 - $24,208
    8 - $26,464
    5 - $26,663
    4 - $27,734
    3 - $27,993
    1 - $28,076

Touring:
    2 - $28,254
    1 - $28,453

So it's split pretty evenly. 30 for under $24K, and 24 for over $26K.

The last time I was there in person I saw not a single cloth interior Prius on display. The only ones they put out for viewing were loaded models with leather interior. I'm sure they had the cheaper ones tucked away somewhere in their massive parking structure.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 8 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]537150[/snapback]</div>
    They were all well-equipped to begin.

Heck, only recently (say the past year) did we (Canada) start getting base models. Otherwise, they're always the midrange "B" package (Rarely anyone buys a navigation system back then since it was $3,000. I think more and more people are doing so today but it seems limited to the Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal region).

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't seen any here in Pa. I think it's a model on paper LOL.

7. TerryStl

TerryStl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado455 @ Nov 9 2007, 02:54 AM) [snapback]537144[/snapback]</div>
    I have been watching the inventory here in St. Louis for the past month through an on line inventory pool of Missouri dealers and have never seen a base model Prius offered in any color.
    dealer stock
    When I visited my brother in Urbana IL, they have one Toyota dealer in town and none of the Prius models were base models.
    Even on Toyota's web site you can't request a base model when estimating total price, you have to take one of the packages.
    Either the new base models with the 20,950 price haven't yet shipped, or its offered in only a few select markets. If anyone has seen a base model Prius on a dealer lot, can you post the city you saw it at?
    I am curious who is receiving the base models.
    T

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My understanding is that dealers don't order the cars. They get an allocation from the importer who doesn't order all of the option packages. It sounds like you will have to buy the car in a state supplied by a different importer (Nevada?). Demand historically has been high relative to supply so there is no incentive for Toyota to build the low end packages in any quantity and with gas prices increasing dealers are going to stick closer to MSRP. At the end of the model year there won't be any leftovers to clear off the lot.

9. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TerryStl @ Nov 10 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]537816[/snapback]</div>
    When I enter my zip on Toyota's web site to build a 2008 Prius, there are three "Grades" listed on the left hand column from which I can choose:
    *Prius
    *Prius with packages
    *Touring with packages

If I select "Prius" then it builds a car with zero options/ zero packages at $20,950 plus dest charge of $660 for a total MSRP of $21,610.
    So it seems to be working OK for my region. Question is how many real-life cars are actually allocated.

As far as Prius with packages go, these are the options it shows me:
    "Option A" $0 = std equip (Cruise, heated mirrors, etc.)
    "Option B" $575 = pkg #2
    "Option C" $3280 = pkg #5
    "Option D" $4550 = pkg #6

If I choose pkg #2 it comes out to $23,560 (incl dest chg).

10. TerryStl

TerryStl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado455 @ Nov 11 2007, 04:35 AM) [snapback]537940[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has now changed their web site for my zip code to allow selecting a base model Prius for the first time, 63131.
    This option showed up a few days ago. Their are still no base model cars yet in the local St. Louis area dealer inventories.
    T

11. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TerryStl @ Nov 16 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]540798[/snapback]</div>
    OK. Thanks for the update.

12. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

13. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From the looks of what some people have posted that they paid for a pkg #2 Prius (about $21k-22K - which is about the same as full sticker for the "standard" model), it almost seems pointless to get the "standard" model (no cruise, heated mirrors, etc.) unless one could actually find one and pay close to invoice for it.

And the lower MSRP (and rareness) of the "standard" model might make dealers less willing to negotiate on that one anyway. So I'm not sure what the point is. It looks like it may just end up being more of an advertising gimmick than anything else.

14. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado455 @ Nov 24 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]543688[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure how it works with toyota but I know with other cars dealers typically buy the cars from the manufacturer and decide what options will sell in their neck of the woods. Then again on vehicles that have a very limited supply perhaps the dealers take what they can and don't have a choice? I don't know, just throwing the thought out there.

Mike

15. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 24 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]543698[/snapback]</div>
    I think Toyota just decides what the dealers will get and that's that. Which is fine by me since it seems the lesser of two evils. If I don't have any say in the matter then I'd rather have Toyota deciding how my car is equipped rather than the dealer deciding.

Which brings me back to my original question. Because since I live in the Los Angeles area, large inventories are the norm at these huge dealerships. So all I really need to know is what percentage of the production run is going to be that bare-bones model. Then it's just a matter of taking that percentage and applying it to the total Prius stock at a big dealership like Longo, and that should pretty much indicate how many of that model would actually exist.