1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Stereo issues 2015 Prius V Wagon

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Jenn_Eris, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jenn_Eris

Jenn_Eris New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am having issues with a new stereo (Sony XAV-AX8000) in a 2015 Prius V Wagon.

I just had it installed yesterday, and they had issues with getting everything working. I am going back tomorrow to come up with a game plan. It took from 9am to 1:20pm, and I had to run to work, and did not have time to work out the issues.

1. Keyfobs are not working. I am guessing the antenna needs to be split to the key fob receiver. This is the deal breaker for me. If they can't get it working, I am going to return it.
    2. The JBL seemed to kick more base out of the speakers than the Sony, I am not sure if I need to set the equalizer differently, or buy a subwoofer.
    3. They put a little Sirus antenna on the dash, and that seems silly, is there a way to use the old antenna? (There is a tiny little mike for the phone, but that doesn't bother me as much, although I would prefer if they used the factory mike.)
    4. They plugged the stereo on the battery line instead of the accessory line, so it stays on after the car is off. (The lighter is doing the same.)
    5. USB plug not run to usb in dash. I would not mind if it still had power.

So, has any one else had any similar issues?

Now, I have a factory radio in my trunk? Is it worth selling, or just keep in a box?

Thanks, JW

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know the original antenna has a powered preamp inside the antenna base. There are up to four separate coaxs in one cable going to the rear roof. One for cellular “mayday”, another for am/fm and the last satellite. All terminate in a small connector with power supplied on one coax. The usb and switched power issues are strictly amateur hour. I am sure the JBL had audio frequency crossovers for each speaker. As far as the fobs, antennas for those are separate at the door handles, the hatch and inside. My guess is they messed up or removed power from the certification ecu. You probably lost the rear camera as well.

Attached Files:

TheTewks and ozjimjam like this.
  3. Paul Stuart

Paul Stuart New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can you send me a photo of the way the stereo looks in the 15 Prius V? I’m thinking of getting this one but would love to see how the floating screen looks. I hate the way the double dins look.

4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am pretty certain that the keyfob antenna under the dash somewhere. If your keyfobs stopped working, there is something the installers disconnected that they should not have touched.

IIRC the factory JBL system has an external booster Amp. The connections between the Toyota head unit and the booster amp are most likely proprietary to JBL. I suspect your installers didn't want to deal with that headache, so they bypassed that Amp, and so yes, you have less bass. Maybe you need to buy a booster amp.

If you had the JBL system, then you had a separate XM antenna in the roof antenna. The 51005x series head units used a pretty standard connector for the SXM input. The Installers should have been able to put an adapter cable from the roof antenna plug from your existing antenna, to plug it into the Sony.

Sounds like a pretty botched up install to me.

5. wheelz1980

wheelz1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry but this reads "Bad Installation and set up Did your installer put these? There needed to use the control buttons, many features. the Sony xav- ax8000 is a great radio, I have the same one,

iDatalink Maestro RR2 Interface Module
    iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2 Factory Integration Adapter